Notices

First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
zmedic16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me want 2 step. im tired of looking at my rpm when launching!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Weqster

I will be in for the group buy when it happens. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I had this on my civic, came with Hondata. With a big single you will defaintly feel the difference.. Our small turbos, its probably just a good way to show off frying the tyres into 3rd. lol.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 AM
KPierson
Banned

We're still looking for testers - check out our support forum (link in first post).

I'm almost done with the 2 step code - things have been pretty busy around here and its slowing down development. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the 2 step working!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
KPierson
Banned

Check out the following link if you want to test one of these modules for next to nothing!

http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...6&p=2595#p2595

We still need more people!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Weqster

Im in australia so not really suited to testing..
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
KPierson
Banned

Still looking for some testers - the release of this will be delayed a bit since most of the people orginally interested can no longer help out.

Just a heads up based on some comments made in another thread - this module is working 100% on my car. The reason we "beta test" is so that we have a small amount of modules released so we can closely monitor the installations. If people have similar issues we can update the install instructions / etc to make it easier for the rest of the people to install them. The last thing we want is to sell 20 modules in a group buy and then find out our installation instructions left a step out or something along those lines. Our current hardware has been proven in 1000s of cars over the past 4 years. This is NOT a hardware test in any way, shape, or form. Lastly, there is extremely low risk for damaging the ECU of your car - the exact same amount of risk that other products pose (cutting, splicing, etc). Our module uses current limited high impedence inputs to minimize the current pulled from the stock ECU and our module uses current limited outputs to minimize the risk of blowing fuses and damaging compoents if an output is shorted out or hooked up wrong. Anyone who claims there may be a risk of damaging the ECU from installing a KPtechnologies product over a competitors product clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

Another purpose is to find bugs in the firmware. That shouldn't be much of an issue with this as this is elementary firmware in this module (compared to other products that we sell). There isn't much room for bugs when the program is simple and well structured. There simply isn't much going on in this module.

Lastly, the reason we beta test is to pick up on any issues from different cars. Sure, the other guys tested the two step in ONE 350Z, but did they test it in a Rev-up? What about an HR? They are using cam signals to control the two step, and guess what - the different cars use differnt cam signals (just like the SRT4 and the VQ35 need dedicated firmware)! I'm not saying it won't work, but I don't agree with the practice of using a group buy to perform base testing of a "new" module - even if it has been tested on other platforms. If it doesn't work, and they have to make different firmware for each motor, I wouldn't want the burden of having to find a portable computer with a serial port on it to attempt to update (or brick) my new module. The bottom line is KPtechnologies would never offer to sell modules in a group buy to a market that we didn't full test our module with.

Our two step is set up to work on a 1/2 pulse per revolution RPM signal - a signal that every sequential fuel injected car already has. Our two step will be compatible with pretty much any modern motor right out of the box, with no need for dedicated firmware to decode the ever changing cam angle sensors output signal.

The release may be delayed, but I guarentee the wait will be worth it. Not only will we offer a high quality product at a reasonable price, we will also do it with excellent customer service BEFORE AND AFTER the sale. If you can't get you questions answered from a vendor BEFORE you buy a $300 product from a company what kind of support do you expect after they have your money?

If anyone has any questions let me know!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 AM
phrozen

Wow. I wasn't going to post anything in your threads, but this recent bashing is over the top.

#1- We are not using the cam position sensor. We are using the crankshaft position sensor. I have verified through the factory service manuals that this signal is the same for model years 2003-2007 of the 350Z and the G35. I haven't verified the 2008 and 2009 models and we won't offer the 2-step on those cars until we do.

We are willing to take the time and effort to write a new crank decoder for each car because it offers better control than a 1 pulse per 2 crank rotation signal. We have tried exactly what you are indicating and we weren't satisfied with the stability of the 2-step control. So until you have a 2-step that is as stable as ours, please don't say that your "universal" method of doing it is better.

#2 Again, please don't make comments on subjects you don't know about. We have extensively tested and utilized our field upgrade capabilities. Our modules cannot be "bricked" as the boot loader resides in a protected area of FLASH that cannot be modified. Even if you load complete garbage, there is an easy recovery procedure. Our product can be flashed with a serial port or with the aid of a $10 USB to serial converter. So, you really can't say it is a BURDEN to find a portable computer with USB or SERIAL. That covers pretty much every laptop ever made. Furthermore, the serial port allows for future advanced features, like log downloading.

#3. I don't know how you can comment on our customer service. Have you emailed the support email address listed in our product documentation? I answer support emails all day, usually within an hour. So, I'm not really sure how you are basing your claim that our customer support is inferior.

#4. Please explain to me how your "beta testing" is different from our group buy. Your "beta testers" are paying for their modules in the same way as our group buy customers. We will also be available for assistance during the install, so the only difference I can tell between your "beta testing" and our group buy is the name.

Lastly, our group buy price is $99 for a single feature box and $189 for a dual feature box. Again, please check your facts before posting.

Thanks and best of luck with your development.

Last edited by phrozen; 06-19-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by phrozen
Wow. I wasn't going to post anything in your threads, but this recent bashing is over the top.

A "non vendor" putting their company email in my thread? I didn't think that was allowed?

Anyone who reads this will know that I was referring to the VENDOR selling things on here, not the supplier.

Any misinformation I've posted is either because the VENDOR is providing incorrect information, or because he is changing his prices faster then I care to keep up with just so he can be competitive with a product that he knows will be as good, if not better, then what he is offering (otherwise he wouldn't have changed his pricing by $110).

I have no problem saying that the N2MB guys know their product and will actual answer questions asked, but the person they have representing them in the Nissan world isn't doing them any customer service favors (including the two nasty, completely uncalled for, out of line, unprofessional PMs that were sent to me). That same person has continued to bash myself and the company I represent, presumably, because he knows we are going to "steal" his sales, and I refuse to sit back and let him do it.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM
phrozen

Your post #66 above didn't mention anything about personal problems with a vendor. You specifically mentioned several technological features that were factually incorrect. I corrected them above in post #67.

I would ask that you not make claims about our technology without even having seen one of our WOT Boxes in person.

If you are going to make comparisons, please do it in a scientific manner.

For example, "The ABS plastic housing used by the WOT Box will not survive a thermonuclear blast. The reinforced carbon-carbon housing used by the Speed shift module will survive 5000 degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, you should buy our product."
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

KP 4 Life!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by phrozen
Your post #66 above didn't mention anything about personal problems with a vendor. You specifically mentioned several technological features that were factually incorrect. I corrected them above in post #67.

I would ask that you not make claims about our technology without even having seen one of our WOT Boxes in person.
But your vendor made several claims about having programming changes made for the cam signals. Here is one, I know there are more:

Originally Posted by phrozen's Vendor
The 2 step is not active as of yet with the Z. Jay needs to check out the Cam sensor signal and write the software for it. But when it does activate, it will be activated by the clutch switch, when the clutch is depressed the 2 step will activate.
So, it does go back to you using a vendor who doesn't even know what he is selling. He is spreading misinformation about the product, causing confusion. I can't appologize for commenting on "factual" information when I was given incorrect information from your guy. I would feel much more comfortable using the crank angle sensor, but I do believe they have changed them as well over the years. One little hint - don't ever rely on the Nissan service manual for your R&D - it often misses changes from one year to the next.

Since neither you nor your company is currently an active sponsor on this forum it would be rediculous to think I was talking about you, or your company in my post. As a supplier you need to keep control of the misinformation that your vendor is spreading on the 'net (ability to cut fuel, using cam angle sensors, prolonging the life of syncros, 15 mintue install times, etc.)

And, for the record, KPtechnologies is the only company, so far, to actually post factual, scientific data about this concept in the Nissan world. We took our car to the track, data logged it, and posted the exact results. We could have posted track times, but they mean nothing in product development as the driver can completely control the outcome.

Last edited by KPierson; 06-19-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
iStan
ZR

Originally Posted by KPierson
One little hint - don't ever rely on the Nissan service manual for your R&D - it often misses changes from one year to the next.
It's kinda funny how suttle changes we as owners all know, but apparently the Service Manual doesn't.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Hoooper

pm sent
Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
medstudent25

Kp Ftmfw
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Phrozen, please refrain from posting in this thread agian. That includes anyone from your company. Doing so will result an immediate ban.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by iStan
It's kinda funny how suttle changes we as owners all know, but apparently the Service Manual doesn't.
You really can't blame them - there are 1000s upon 1000s of pages of information to keep up to date on many different vehicles. I bet, instead of wasting money updating them they just hit the major feature changes and then rely on their techs to report inaccuracies. Unfortunately, when it comes to a lot of the electrical data / colors not many mechanics are too worried about them so they go uncorrected.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Hoooper

yeah, its always, always worth it to check the pinouts and do continuancy testing.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:26 PM
KPierson
Banned

OK, I was planning on having the two step working by this weekend, but some things freed up in my schedule.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2fhYsS7Vos"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2fhYsS7Vos" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It's rough, with a slight overshoot before it settles, but this was the first try with the software. I have quite a few things I want to do to perfect it (lead in tweaking mostly but some tweaking on the downslope too). I still have to write all the code so that the two step setpoint can be programmed as well.

Honestly, I've thrown together a couple hundred lines of code just to make sure this is going to work - and now I know it will. I now have to go back and pretty up the code that I wrote and fill in the blanks for the missing features.

I was actually surprised as hell that it actually worked as well as it did on the first attempt. I had it working on my test bench, but there is no real way to know how the motor is going to react. I figured I would have to tweak a few values, but I guess my preliminary research was good enough to make it work this well.

I also have a test install lined up for this Saturday, and another tester to start trying these things out.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Hoooper

seems to work pretty nicely actually. you can see that the first pass through it catches on the set value and then goes past for a second. do you have a video of launching from the 2 step or is that not quite working yet?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoooper
seems to work pretty nicely actually. you can see that the first pass through it catches on the set value and then goes past for a second. do you have a video of launching from the 2 step or is that not quite working yet?
I didn't make a video of launching because I was just sitting in my neighborhood. I would have to back to the track to launch - and I can't launch that high anyway - I would just spin the tires!

Quick Reply: First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module