Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
I am aware of that, the t66 turbine was blowing hot air with the boost was raised, My hybrid turbo could not hold big power.

Like you said, you need a FULL t66 turbo with a t4 housing( which you already have right?) The 60-1 housing will not work, when I noticed how they bored my 60-1 housing to put the 66 wheel in.. it was pathetic. We thought of this, but a larger overall turbo would require.. custom radiator, and various adjustments in place of the stock tn turbo posistion.
It wasn't really "blowing hot air". It was causing a bottleneck at the compressor due to the restrictive compressor housing.

T66 is the compressor, not the turbine, by the way. You were running an O trim T3 kolkelen turbine that comes with the kit. We're running a larger turbine wheel and housing. I don't even think that had much to do with your issue. Now that we've seen this issue I'd be willing to bet the real bottleneck is the compressor.

FWIW, I don't think your T66 wheel on the stock turbo helped anything at all. If anything, it may have hurt in the overall scheme of things.
GodSendsDeath

Man when ever this car is done, you got to let me know when you go to some meet or something. I just moved to Clearwater from Chicago and would be nice to see some sick Z's around.
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

D350z-this build is steps beyond yours was. You made weaksauce power on a high reading dyno. PF has taken steps your shop didnt/couldnt take with yours. Things like this usually need trial and error, let them throw the bigger turbo on then judge it if you want.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by tig488
that sucks craig, i was hoping for more. hope you get it straightened out. i have a feeling its gonnas be tough tho. just do what injected did and thro a GT47 in there and be done.
haha.. GT47. That's a bit overkill.

Jeremy's got it figured out, I believe. I'll just say when the car's finished it will qualify as a "big single" build.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
zmedic16

i m new to the turbo scene but i been reading up on the gtk series turbos from TN... would these turbos be any good... like the gtk500+'s. i am very interested on seein how ur build goes...even tho we are across the country lol.
so would this be a good time to ask... since turbonetics is using ur research for possibly a newer remodified kit? are they ever going to make this 1.5 and 2.0 kits avaliable?? from my information u can order all the parts separetly .
tauran good luck with ur build, been a fan of ur car since i first bought my z, and i hope u enjoy ur car sooner than later.

some of us dont want to join the TT bandwagon....... but if its just as equaly if not more expensive then the high power s.t are just to be "different" wich i love bein.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM
tig488

surely you jest, theres no such thing!

ok, so try something small, like a 4294r.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
diwun67

Originally Posted by tig488
surely you jest, theres no such thing!

ok, so try something small, like a 4294r.
GT40 FTW
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates yet?

Lol, sorry force of habit. Hope you get the compressor issue sorted out quick, Craig.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Any updates yet?

Lol, sorry force of habit. Hope you get the compressor issue sorted out quick, Craig.
Hopefully by the end of the week.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:49 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by zmedic16
i m new to the turbo scene but i been reading up on the gtk series turbos from TN... would these turbos be any good... like the gtk500+'s. i am very interested on seein how ur build goes...even tho we are across the country lol.
so would this be a good time to ask... since turbonetics is using ur research for possibly a newer remodified kit? are they ever going to make this 1.5 and 2.0 kits avaliable?? from my information u can order all the parts separetly .
tauran good luck with ur build, been a fan of ur car since i first bought my z, and i hope u enjoy ur car sooner than later.

some of us dont want to join the TT bandwagon....... but if its just as equaly if not more expensive then the high power s.t are just to be "different" wich i love bein.
Thanks, yeah the GTK turbos are excellent, but I'd definitely go with the 650 or larger on a built setup. I'd say hold off and let us find out what works before you try anything.

I don't think turbonetics is using my "research" for any sort of kit. I wouldn't wait on the 1.5 or 2 kits any time soon, as I don't even know if or when they'll be released. There are shops now that have upgrades equivalent to "1.5" for reasonable prices if you want to go that route.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your almost hitting the success numbers of your liking..
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Bottled Water

god i cant wait to see the results!!!!! im looking to do a ST build.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
TayTaythatsme04

So the issue was the turbo more the bottleneck then the piping? Did you even need to increase the size of the hot side piping?

Hope this all works out, Ive have plans to follow down the same path.

GL

T

Last edited by TayTaythatsme04; 10-15-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04
So the issue was the turbo more the bottleneck then the piping? Did you even need to increase the size of the hot side piping?

Hope this all works out, Ive have plans to follow down the same path.

GL

T
That's a good question.

I'm sure it helped (or will after we change the turbo), but I'm not positive if it was required to an extent. Even with all the upgrades to the hot side piping, we still ran into the same soft barrier in the 450whp range where gains from adding boost seemed to decline. We made slightly more power than that with no issue, but not much. Like most other built setups were able to continue adding boost, but we still made less and less power per psi. We still continued to make a lot of midrange torque, though.

At this point I'm tempted to say that the turbo compressor housing may be a bigger bottleneck than any of the exhaust piping. We'll see how it reacts to a larger compressor housing and wheel before we jump to conclusions, though. By process of elimination and also the way the system is actually surging under high boost/rpms, it certainly seems to be the culprit.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 AM
ILLBZNU

Default Congrats Craig

Congrats on hitting the 500hp mark. As for the larger turbo... you know my story. I used the GT-K 650 with a 3" downpipe, but with the stock uppipe. I'm glad the uppipe increase made that big of a difference for you, and your turbo might still be your bottleneck. But I think a 2.5" uppipe might still be a problem for you down the road. I know that you are sponsored and probably don't have any reason to be interested, but I have a spare slightly use GTK650 that I will sell for cheap. Just let me know. Good luck with your endeavor.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:13 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLBZNU
Congrats on hitting the 500hp mark. As for the larger turbo... you know my story. I used the GT-K 650 with a 3" downpipe, but with the stock uppipe. I'm glad the uppipe increase made that big of a difference for you, and your turbo might still be your bottleneck. But I think a 2.5" uppipe might still be a problem for you down the road. I know that you are sponsored and probably don't have any reason to be interested, but I have a spare slightly use GTK650 that I will sell for cheap. Just let me know. Good luck with your endeavor.

the turbo we are using is pretty much a GTK 650 and that is the issue.

we are going much bigger. we will figure it out, we honestly have only two things left it can be and then its going to get fun.

the turbo spools up SO fast its crazy, i honestly dont think we will have any issues with the uppipe at all. the intake air temps are normal and cool down as we go into boost. the car isnt knocking at all . it just starts to stumble at different rpms with different boost levels.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 AM
ILLBZNU

Isn't the turbo compressor housing bigger on the gtk650? I thought that was your next plan of attack. No offense meant, but I don't usually think of spooling up to 13lbs at 4300rpms as fast and if you are increasing the overall size of the turbo not just the compressor housing that will start to affect your spool up even more.

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
the turbo we are using is pretty much a GTK 650 and that is the issue.

we are going much bigger. we will figure it out, we honestly have only two things left it can be and then its going to get fun.

the turbo spools up SO fast its crazy, i honestly dont think we will have any issues with the uppipe at all. the intake air temps are normal and cool down as we go into boost. the car isnt knocking at all . it just starts to stumble at different rpms with different boost levels.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:59 AM
TayTaythatsme04

Originally Posted by taurran
That's a good question.

I'm sure it helped (or will after we change the turbo), but I'm not positive if it was required to an extent. Even with all the upgrades to the hot side piping, we still ran into the same soft barrier in the 450whp range where gains from adding boost seemed to decline. We made slightly more power than that with no issue, but not much. Like most other built setups were able to continue adding boost, but we still made less and less power per psi. We still continued to make a lot of midrange torque, though.

At this point I'm tempted to say that the turbo compressor housing may be a bigger bottleneck than any of the exhaust piping. We'll see how it reacts to a larger compressor housing and wheel before we jump to conclusions, though. By process of elimination and also the way the system is actually surging under high boost/rpms, it certainly seems to be the culprit.

Interesting . . . well I hope it ends up being the turbo and that bottleneck argument can be put to rest. It will also help the people looking to upgrade there TN set-ups have a good idea of what to expect right off the bat. I hope it turns out for the best Craig.

T
Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is good to see you and Jeremy not being content on this one! Someone needs to figure out what the bottleneck is, and I'm glad it's you guys.

figure it all out, reproduce it, and package it for other TN owners. It can be the Performance Factory Stage 2 upgrade.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLBZNU
Isn't the turbo compressor housing bigger on the gtk650? I thought that was your next plan of attack. No offense meant, but I don't usually think of spooling up to 13lbs at 4300rpms as fast and if you are increasing the overall size of the turbo not just the compressor housing that will start to affect your spool up even more.

you would have to hear and see it to understand what i mean about the spooling up. its just crazyness.

the GTK is a 66mm wheel with a 4 inch inlet and 2.5 outlet, the turbo we were using was a bored out 60-1 HF front with a 66 wheel in it, you might have had the right turbo with the wrong uppipe. we will see what will happen. i just wanted to have room for expansion as we all progress and have a turbo that can stay in there. thats why we are going bigger.

Quick Reply: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST