Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:12 AM
ILLBZNU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sounds good

sounds good, best of luck! I can't wait to see the results.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 AM
DanielW
Banned

Craig, how much different is your setup going to be than the one AJ ran? I know that was on a stock block but I'm talking about the turbo, piping etc.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by DanielW
Craig, how much different is your setup going to be than the one AJ ran? I know that was on a stock block but I'm talking about the turbo, piping etc.
AJ ran a tuner kit with utec, 650 injectors, tial wastegate w. open dumps, tial BOV running 13-14 lbs. of boost.

I believe it reached 480hp/500trq however, the power curve was crappy and I agree Performance Factory would agree. Either Craig's set-up will work or us Turbonetics owners will have to subsidize power w/ NO2.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck, nothing ever goes smoothly os as planned so no worries.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
good luck, nothing ever goes smoothly os as planned so no worries.

i coudnt agree more
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one time, one thing went smoothly
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by ILLBZNU
Isn't the turbo compressor housing bigger on the gtk650? I thought that was your next plan of attack. No offense meant, but I don't usually think of spooling up to 13lbs at 4300rpms as fast and if you are increasing the overall size of the turbo not just the compressor housing that will start to affect your spool up even more.
We've basically been running the same turbine wheel of the GTK 650 but with the housing off the 850. The turbine should be capable of pushing at least 800hp. I'd like to have a compressor that's capable of supporting 800hp as well. We'll see.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
TENGAI

Sounds like this is going to fall into place very soon. Congrats in advance... BIG single snails FTW.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
diwun67

Originally Posted by QuadCam
figure it all out, reproduce it, and package it for other TN owners. It can be the Performance Factory Stage 2 upgrade.
Dammit I'd need to win the lotto hehe
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

thats the plan.. if it works!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
thats the plan.. if it works!!
Give me a call tomorrow if I don't get ahold of you first, gotta solidify some plans for parts required to finish this up.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

turbo shipped back out to TN, they will have it 9am PST today. looks like it wont be too long now!!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by one350zfan
AJ ran a tuner kit with utec, 650 injectors, tial wastegate w. open dumps, tial BOV running 13-14 lbs. of boost.

I believe it reached 480hp/500trq however, the power curve was crappy and I agree Performance Factory would agree. Either Craig's set-up will work or us Turbonetics owners will have to subsidize power w/ NO2.

LOL @ subsidizing power with NO2. Looks like you're already "subsidizing" quite nicely. Maybe with language like that we can get the goernment to "subsidize" our power. Now that would be tax dollars at work
Old 10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by DanielW
LOL @ subsidizing power with NO2. Looks like you're already "subsidizing" quite nicely. Maybe with language like that we can get the goernment to "subsidize" our power. Now that would be tax dollars at work

what have you been smoking?

u need to share d00d...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 AM
ILLBZNU

Default My update

Well I just found out why my car wasn't making the power with my GTK650 and 3" downpipe. I sent the turbo back to turbonetics because it was blowing oil. They just told me that it was a manufacturing flaw with the turbo...The compressor wheel was out of balance, "the bearings were installed on the wrong side", and the nut on the shaft through the housing was also installed incorrectly. Needless to say that I am pissed after spending 1000 dollars on tunning to figure out what was wrong with my setup when it was a defective turbo the entire time. Of course turbonetics refuses to compensate me in any way. Turbonetics did send me a brand new turbo to replace the piece of crap they originally sent me, which they feel is more than enough compensation. They feel that "they went above and beyond what any other company would have done in a similar situation." BS On the other hand I am very happy that there is nothing wrong with my motor. Most of all, I feel really bad for David at Function Tunned for going through tunning hell trying to figure out my problem while a large number of people assumed it was his tunning ability and or workmanship of the custom fabrication that was done. I will recommend Fuction Tunned any time of any day, they really are a top notch shop. I am still planning on reverting back to the original 60-1 and running high boost with a three inch downpipe. I am looking forward to having near 500hp numbers with fairly low spool up at least until I get bored of that and go for twins. Best of luck Craig with your project. I will always be interested in seeing the potential of an even larger ST on our cars.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
TENGAI

Ahhhh, so that's what happened with your car... I talked with Dave for a while on this and he was frustrated to say the least. I'm glad that you and TN figured everything out with the turbo, and sorry to hear about the headaches along the way... I say f'k it - throw the new 650 on there and push it to 500whp... It's good for those power levels

BOT - good luck taurran. Keep us posted on the progress and specs for that new turbo
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by ILLBZNU
Well I just found out why my car wasn't making the power with my GTK650 and 3" downpipe. I sent the turbo back to turbonetics because it was blowing oil. They just told me that it was a manufacturing flaw with the turbo...The compressor wheel was out of balance, "the bearings were installed on the wrong side", and the nut on the shaft through the housing was also installed incorrectly. Needless to say that I am pissed after spending 1000 dollars on tunning to figure out what was wrong with my setup when it was a defective turbo the entire time. Of course turbonetics refuses to compensate me in any way. Turbonetics did send me a brand new turbo to replace the piece of crap they originally sent me, which they feel is more than enough compensation. They feel that "they went above and beyond what any other company would have done in a similar situation." BS On the other hand I am very happy that there is nothing wrong with my motor. Most of all, I feel really bad for David at Function Tunned for going through tunning hell trying to figure out my problem while a large number of people assumed it was his tunning ability and or workmanship of the custom fabrication that was done. I will recommend Fuction Tunned any time of any day, they really are a top notch shop. I am still planning on reverting back to the original 60-1 and running high boost with a three inch downpipe. I am looking forward to having near 500hp numbers with fairly low spool up at least until I get bored of that and go for twins. Best of luck Craig with your project. I will always be interested in seeing the potential of an even larger ST on our cars.
Sorry to hear, but I don't think my thread is the best place to bring up these issues. I'm going to agree with Tengai here, but of course it's up to you.

Unfortunately providing a new turbo is the only reasonable thing they can do. Performance parts companies cannot make practice of refunding every dollar spent trying to get a part to work, even if it's a manufacturing issue, or else they'd be out of business real quick. It sucks, but that's the way the industry works.

I don't think you're going to make 500whp on the 60-1 because the turbo isn't sized for that kind of power. You'll probably see 450-470whp and a lot of torque.

That being said, I'd like to ask that the thread not get off topic. If you'd like to turn it into a Turbonetics bashing session, make another please.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
taurran

Just got confirmation on the new sized turbo we're going with. It's going to be one bad mother f-er!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by taurran
Just got confirmation on the new sized turbo we're going with. It's going to be one bad mother f-er!
care to share the details
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously he doesnt want to share.. Its all good..

Quick Reply: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST