Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Forged Performance: rcdash's Twin Turbo G35

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can manage E85 with the Haltech. It's just the mixing fuels that's a pain.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luckily I don't have those issues to worry about (mixing fuel) ...kinda like counting calories. Nobody likes to do it. Anywho, I researched for flex fuel availability around my neighborhood before investing in the flex sensor and thought I discovered a station 6 miles from me, turned out to be a private station exclusively for sanitation. Kept searching and found a few stations in Long Island, NY only about 12 miles from me. Its right around the corner from our local car club meets. So its very much on my way. I actually only need it when I plan to race, like going to the strip. Otherwise, it doesn't maker sense to run it all the time, because of basic availability. If it were closer, I might run it more, but it is, what it is.
More stations are opening up in my neighborhood in about a year or less. There are several E-85 station guides, so you can see if any are planning to open in your neck of the woods.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
You can manage E85 with the Haltech. It's just the mixing fuels that's a pain.
It seems it would be very easy on the Haltech to integrate a flex fuel sensor. Any idea on the latest with that?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
It seems it would be very easy on the Haltech to integrate a flex fuel sensor. Any idea on the latest with that?
well, the problem is the input/outputs on the haltech are non-exsistant.

also the ability to switch maps isn't there either so even if a person added the sensors themselves to monitor it, you would still have to manually switch the map.

both of those things are the only things that give me a headache about the haltech. the mapswitching mostly. I'd at least like the computer to just switch to a lower boost when my a/f gets high verses me having to wire a relay to my wastegate and have it just open my wastegate to spring pressure instead. kinda generic.

raj, those e85 sites are outdated. They have sites around me that are supposed to carry e85 but it's not there. IDK where e85 is in st louis, but there are 2 stations in my dinky small home town that have e85.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:29 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Yah, as binder noted, no inputs. I mean you could try something weird like tie the FF sensor into the MAF sensor and then use MAF input. Or if you use the internal MAP sensor, maybe you could use the external MAP input for the FF sensor. These are all hacks though without dedicated auxilliary inputs.

The Haltech model is fantastic. You can change any axis to whatever you want. The ProEFI is all hard-coded - a step behind for sure but it's got tons of I/O lines and lots of hard-coded maps. Haltech flexibility is unbelievable once you get the signals in. It just doesn't have enough inputs.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-09-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 PM
acg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear that your car is doing great Raj, I think I have almost 67k on my GTM build and (knock on wood) it is running just like the day I picked it up.

Good luck on you future plans for the car, I think I am staying put with what I have as it's my daily driver also but I did pick up an M5 for a weekend toy a few weeks back....maybe my next project car
Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much meth are u using and are u using just a single nozzle or dual?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by acg
Nice to hear that your car is doing great Raj, I think I have almost 67k on my GTM build and (knock on wood) it is running just like the day I picked it up.

Good luck on you future plans for the car, I think I am staying put with what I have as it's my daily driver also but I did pick up an M5 for a weekend toy a few weeks back....maybe my next project car
Congrats on the M5! And good to hear the G is still going strong.

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
how much meth are u using and are u using just a single nozzle or dual?
Aquamist HFS-6 system with an 9 mm and 8 mm nozzle pre-TB running with the water pump at 175 psi. At 15 psi and 100% IDC (which I don't reach, I only reach ~ 65% with my 1000 cc HKS injectors), that would be 525 cc/min and 475 cc/min for each nozzle (total 1000 cc/min). So this equates to a ~17% fuel to W/M ratio. Keep in mind my spray is tied directly to my fuel injector duty cycle, so at 50% IDC, I spray 50% of that amount. Bottom line, I guess I am spraying max 650 cc/min. I tried going with 650 cc/min combined nozzles (8 and 4 mm) before and adjusting the spray IDC to be greater than 1:1 with fuel but I could not get a decent drop in AFR. Once you drop your AFR a full point (for pure meth) or half a point (50/50), you know you've got good flow. Water alone won't drop it at all (and you don't need to inject as much since you're using only for detonation suppression, ~10-15% of fuel may be enough).

Last edited by rcdash; 07-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Raj, you may be in luck. Click this link for some E-85 in North Carolina.

http://www.e85refueling.com/location...88ef07509bbe36
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya theres only that one station about 5 mins from my work and like 20 mins from Raj's
Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 AM
DeatschWerks
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Supra-esq dynos.

Good to hear the car is still running strong.

We're blessed with quite a few E85 stations in the OKC metro, with more and more popping up every 3 or 4 months. We've also seen an increase in larger injector sales, so you can definitely tell the popularity of the fuel and that people are still enjoying pushing their cars.

Looks like you guys have spent some time kicking these ideas and processes around, and it's good to see Forged right there in the mix.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:53 PM
rcdash

UPDATE: My 2004 5AT G35 coupe was built a while back with 24k on the original motor at Forged Performance with a basic built short block with JWT S2 cams and a 700bb JWT kit and a built 5AT from GTM. I've been enjoying the car for a few years now at the ~500 whp level. It was sorely in need of some maintenance that I had no desire to dig into myself (e.g. changing out the oil return hoses on those turbos located way up high in the engine bay). I also wanted to see if Hal could convince Haltech AUS to get the new Plugin Pro Haltech unit working on my 5AT so I thought I'd give Dynosty a shot at looking after the car this past winter and dropped the car off on Feb 1st. To keep a long story short, the new GTX turbos had just come out and I asked Hal to see if he could adapt it for use on my JWT kit while the motor was down. The compressor map looked like an impressive improvement over their standard counterparts (comparing 700bb turbo to GTX2867, with the line mapping airflow to reach 600 whp):

Name:  gtx2867comparo.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  142.7 KB

Well I ended up getting the turbos to "try" and one thing led to another and I ended up with a few upgrades:

GTX2867 turbos with Tial v-band 0.86 A/R cast stainless turbine housings.
Name:  gtx2867.png
Views: 66
Size:  567.8 KB

SFR 321 stainless headers with burns collectors.
Name:  pre_flange201.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  127.7 KB

Some Dynosty fabrication at work.
Name:  IMG_0310.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  downpipe2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  184.9 KB

Name:  downpipe1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  210.4 KB

Here was a base line dyno when the car arrived (18-19 psi on 93/meth; tough day on Hal's dyno for my car):

Name:  04_G35_470whp_tq.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  80.7 KB

Here was the best run after tuning with the new kit (18-19 psi on 93):

Name:  dyno538whp-1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  88.9 KB

With the free flowing exhaust the 1 bar springs ended up producing a pretty high WG power level. Unfortunately the 5AT cannot hold this power consistently on Hal's dyno - and power fluctuates between 530-580 whp depending on transmission slip at high rpms. So this is where we decided to leave it for now (no boost control). I will be needing to consider other transmission options to turn the boost up, and these turbos are efficient through 30 psi . 6MT vs something else? We shall see... For now, the car is a blast to drive and I'm back to enjoying it for awhile.

Many thanks to Hal, Dustin, and the crew at Dynosty for a job well done. How would I rate the experience? They get an A for customer service, A for integrity, A for knowledge/expertise, A for workmanship/quality. Only ***** in the armor is that I'd give them a B for meeting time expectations as I ended up missing ZdayZ, though I was warned that that might happen. It was a complex build (details like fuel voltage regulation, oil return, etc I haven't mentioned among other nice touches) but still I was given hope it would be done in time. They did work hard to try to meet that deadline but they would not release the car half done or untested, and well, the result is what it is. Bottom line, they have earned my trust and my future business.

The car has been tuned to perfection. It starts and drives perfectly - no hiccups, no hesitation - just smooth power to redline. I cannot feel any transmission issues while on the road. It pulls much better up top than it used to, spools just about as quickly, and has so much room to grow. Happy to answer any questions. Later guys - happy boosting...

Name:  rd50-1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  98.3 KB

PS. I'll be having a few parts for sale in marketplace for anyone looking to piece together a 700bb turbo kit for very cheap

Last edited by rcdash; 08-21-2012 at 07:21 PM.