Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

The Build BEGINS! Gamermodz/GReddy/S&R Z goes under the knife!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S&R Performance
OEM, sir.
thats good to hear i was wondering how stock bearings were doing with the stroker!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by ace32x
thats good to hear i was wondering how stock bearings were doing with the stroker!
We dropped the oil pan off a couple weeks ago to inspect and everything looked great and the pan was very clean.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
08NismoZ

Originally Posted by GAMERMODZoCOM
I did and it's big, strong and has great feel but the Giken triple is thicker than the single and twin which is causing the slave to compress all the way without fully engaging the clutch. We were not aware of this and their slave has been used on at least 1 Giken triple (that we know of and albiet a 370Z) and it worked perfectly. So many shops are using this salve and this has never come up before but hard to know how many triples it was used on. Possibly, even though the HR and VHR use the same slave, the VHR trans has a few milimeter difference. Possible........

Joe at ZSpeed is working with us and making a thinner adapter plate for it which solves the issue.

FYI, not only am I impressed with the slave itself, I am also impressed with ZSpeed's attention and quick resolution to our issue. Absolutely awesome customer service!
I've been running the OS Giken triple disc clutch and ZSpeed hd csc since like march. I've driven to Miami and back to Indy, quite a few 1/4mi drag strip passes, an HPDE event, and have had absolutely zero issues with it. I'm very impressed with their product
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
I've been running the OS Giken triple disc clutch and ZSpeed hd csc since like march. I've driven to Miami and back to Indy, quite a few 1/4mi drag strip passes, an HPDE event, and have had absolutely zero issues with it. I'm very impressed with their product
Very interesting...

I have seen two different flywheels with the giken. One has many holes in it (maybe DE only which is the reason I am asking) and the other is completely solid. Which flywheel do you have?

I agree, I love this product and god knows we needed it! lol
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad everything is working good now Colin!

We are still talking with OS Giken in Japan to see what is going on, If the twin and triple clutches are indeed the same height (supposed to be) it has to just be something with your set-up that is different, I am thinking they changed them since yours was purchased possibly, or maybe its the 1,000+ hp causing it
Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Everything is perfect! Man, the clutch feels so good with this slave. The pedal is barely tighter than stock and now allows the ability to regulate the engagement of the triple giken so much better.

This is a must upgrade in my opinion for any HR/VHR regardless if their factory slave has died yet or not and definately if they put an aftermarket clutch in it.

I was hoping 08NISMOZ would have responded by now to my question of which flywheel he has.

If it was changed, it was definately just enough to make a difference.

I can't express enough how much I appreciate all of your help with this. I know it was a headache and it's nice to see a company stand behind their product with such dedication to making sure the customer is happy. Every company should employ your dedication in to their business model.

I will be in touch to keep you up to date!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM
08NismoZ

Hey sorry for the late response Gamer for some reason this thread never popped up as having any replies after me. I actually had Dynosty do all the work and I remember Hal and Eddy saying something about doing some machine work to the Zspeed HD csc because they were only compatible with a couple of other clutches like a few months ago. I have a pic of the csc installed and the clutch on but i'm not sure if you'll be able to see anything that you need. Maybe Hal can jump on and answer?
I have noticed one thing though. The clutch engagement with just normal driving is kind of high (when the pedal is almost completely let out), and when I went to the drag strip and did like 4 or 5 runs the clutch engagement was all the way at the bottom. I was thinking it was because the plates had heat up and become really sticky so the engagement was really fast. This is the first time i've driven with a triple disc clutch so it's all new to me haha
Attached Thumbnails The Build BEGINS! Gamermodz/GReddy/S&R Z goes under the knife!-csc.jpg   The Build BEGINS! Gamermodz/GReddy/S&R Z goes under the knife!-os_giken_installed.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Hey sorry for the late response Gamer for some reason this thread never popped up as having any replies after me. I actually had Dynosty do all the work and I remember Hal and Eddy saying something about doing some machine work to the Zspeed HD csc because they were only compatible with a couple of other clutches like a few months ago. I have a pic of the csc installed and the clutch on but i'm not sure if you'll be able to see anything that you need. Maybe Hal can jump on and answer?
I have noticed one thing though. The clutch engagement with just normal driving is kind of high (when the pedal is almost completely let out), and when I went to the drag strip and did like 4 or 5 runs the clutch engagement was all the way at the bottom. I was thinking it was because the plates had heat up and become really sticky so the engagement was really fast. This is the first time i've driven with a triple disc clutch so it's all new to me haha
Hmm, you have the same flywheel as I do (Figured the other version was DE only anyway).

Sounds like it's very possible the triple is a bit thicker than others if they had to machine something too. Hard to tell what was machined in the picture but I do know that ZSpeeds sleeve on that slave is thick aluminum (very nice I might add). Since very little was needed to be removed from mine (about an 1/8 inch or so), it's possible it was done on the very front of the sleeve where it touches the fingers of the clutch.

Joe, I would definately send Hal a message or give him a ring. He is a very busy person but ALWAYS returns calls and messages.

08NISMO, as far as the engagement goes, the Giken Triple (and other Giken's from my understanding) seem to engage at the top. On the stock slave for me, it was at the very top. You can adjust where the "top" is via the pedal adjustment if it bothers you because you have long legs (like me) which makes your knee hit the steering wheel or something. We may have taken more off my sleeve than was taken off yours (if any was) which means my slave may release the finders sooner thus engage sooner.

As long as your clutch fully engages, I wouldn't want to screw with it especially with all the **** that has to come off to get to it, leave it alone. As for it grabbing sooner, mine does grab more when hotter but more than likely, yours did this because of the tempature of the fluid or so I would think.

I dropped my transmission (and everything that comes with that job) 3 times in a week so my opinion on how much it sucks may be inflated but I don't think so
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so what happened to this car. heard manifolds cracked quickly, but was it ever rebuilt?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by str8dum1
so what happened to this car. heard manifolds cracked quickly, but was it ever rebuilt?
What build? My build?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM
S&R Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
yeah, we've had the manifolds crack, unfortunately. Car is running fine and GMZ is rockin it all day, everyday.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still planning on racing it this upcoming season?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Yes, we are basically down to a couple things left to do and we are ready. We will start getting it out on the track soon for some test and tune time while we continue to wrap it up (ie. cage, new wing, etc).

We made some other modificaitons utilizing new processes that S&R is doing now like o'ringing the heads and stuff. We also swapped the valve springs for something a little softer which allows us to unlock the phasers. This should give us much better spool and torq.

Last edited by GAMERMODZoCOM; 12-28-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 PM
08NismoZ

Originally Posted by S&R Performance
yeah, we've had the manifolds crack, unfortunately. Car is running fine and GMZ is rockin it all day, everyday.
How much did it cost to replace the Greddy exhaust manifolds and where did you get them from? I sent mine and the wastegate pipes to Jet Hot to get coated and it seems that FedEx might have lost the package...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

How much did it cost to replace the Greddy exhaust manifolds and where did you get them from? I sent mine and the wastegate pipes to Jet Hot to get coated and it seems that FedEx might have lost the package...
Greddy takes care of us so I don't know what the cost would be. Call them tomorrow and I am sure they can let you know.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 AM
08NismoZ

Lucky! Haha yeah I'm going to give them a call right now
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM
ace32x

hows your zspeed slave holding up? just got my z wrapped up little bit ago and curious how your slaves been doing with the triple in it for awhile now
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
neverenough

Originally Posted by GAMERMODZoCOM
Yes, we are basically down to a couple things left to do and we are ready. We will start getting it out on the track soon for some test and tune time while we continue to wrap it up (ie. cage, new wing, etc).

We made some other modificaitons utilizing new processes that S&R is doing now like o'ringing the heads and stuff. We also swapped the valve springs for something a little softer which allows us to unlock the phasers. This should give us much better spool and torq.
Did you have a problem with the head gaskets?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Zspeed slave is perfect. It did require a modification for the Giken Triple that Zspeed is aware of now. It is the ideal replacement. White the Giken triple and quad in the HR is a very stiff clutch, it did help with pedal feel a ton. I popped 3 stock slaves prior and this thing is holding up beautifully!

The owner of ZSpeed actually sent me a text the other day checking to make sure it was still good. Guess I should text him back.. lol

neverenough:
No problem with the head gaskets. We wanted to unlock the phasers which required softer valve springs so we had to take the heads off anyway to change them out.

Quick Reply: The Build BEGINS! Gamermodz/GReddy/S&R Z goes under the knife!