Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Not the usual power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:07 PM
chuckcz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the usual power window problem

I have a 2004 roadster. Last week I dropped the top with no issues, when I raised the top and then attempted to raise the windows- the driver's side came up but not the passenger side.

Things I have looked at:
- Neither switch will operate the window
- Regulator looks okay
- I have dissembled the motor (brushes look good, I did clean off the commutator)

All this would point to a dead motor but I can use the key lock switch to raise both windows (the passenger side window does move to the half raised position if I try to bring it all the way up. My assumption is it needs to be calibrated but the window is not responding to the switch).

Has anyone run into this one? I have a new motor coming so I will install it but I am skeptical it will be effective. Since neither switch will work I am more concerned it is a BCM issue?

Thanks for shedding so light on this one.

Chuck
Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Check the little button on the drivers side.

Good luck Chuck
Old 10-29-2017, 05:09 PM
chuckcz

Will do and thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 08:09 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...ow-issues.html
Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Since it's only going up halfway, try the reset procedure here... http://www.powerwin.com.au/mechanics...0Procedure.pdf

I don't think it's your BCM, btw, since the signal reached the BCM then got relayed to the destination(window motor) when you used the key.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:38 PM
chuckcz

.... this is the part where you really do not wish to point out how stupid you can be!

Yes, after owning the car for over a year I must have accidently hit the lock out button (in a very poor defense, in my experience these only lock out the secondary operating switch and leave the main switch operable... ie the driver is all powerful. This is weak I know but it is the best excuse I can come up with).

Additionally the new motor made it in so the window if fully functional- one down side is that it is very apparent the driver's window is slow going up be comparison.

Thanks for all the input, you all are great.

Chuck
Old 10-31-2017, 04:32 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,105 Likes on 6,560 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckcz
.... this is the part where you really do not wish to point out how stupid you can be!

Yes, after owning the car for over a year I must have accidently hit the lock out button (in a very poor defense, in my experience these only lock out the secondary operating switch and leave the main switch operable... ie the driver is all powerful. This is weak I know but it is the best excuse I can come up with).

Additionally the new motor made it in so the window if fully functional- one down side is that it is very apparent the driver's window is slow going up be comparison.

Thanks for all the input, you all are great.

Chuck
hey it happens to the best of us. but i took mine to nissan to be swapped out under extended warranty, they brought it back 5 min later saying the button was pushed. they said it was one of the few cars that the button locks out the drivers controls
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 AM
chuckcz

Thanks for the info- good to understand I am not alone!!!

Still a bit rough- I have operated nuclear submarines and run engineering departments for Pharma companies but can’t operate my car windows��
Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Yea my windows have also been acting up.

Yesterday my driver window stopped. Didn't matter what I did. But then I realized it would go down only. I was trying to lock and close my car up for the night so I didn't go further thinking it would get stuck.

After 10 min of trying to get it to go up, I finally went all the way down. Then it went up and down just fine. Still not sure why but it works fine now. I guess it just wanted to finish it's down cycle.

Last edited by CK_32; 10-31-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:07 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by CK_32
Yea my windows have also been acting up.

Yesterday my driver window stopped. Didn't matter what I did. But then I realized it would go down only. I was trying to lock and close my car up for the night so I didn't go further thinking it would get stuck.

After 10 min of trying to get it to go up, I finally went all the way down. Then it went up and down just fine. Still not sure why but it works fine now. I guess it just wanted to finish it's down cycle
next time it wont go up... hit the door panel in front of the handle while pulling up on the switch, if it goes up then, your motor is on the way out
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

I can't get it up today.. but I could two nights ago...
Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 AM
travlee
Master

smack it around more.......

Name:  0z7pboO.gif
Views: 8
Size:  846.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckcz
Thanks for the info- good to understand I am not alone!!!

Still a bit rough- I have operated nuclear submarines and run engineering departments for Pharma companies but can’t operate my car windows��
you need a simple brain like mine for simple solutions sometimes, I must have eaten more paint chips as a kid.

Glad it worked out.