Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions before I go look at a 04.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM
matholland618

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions before I go look at a 04.5

Hey guys. I was just looking for some insight before I go look at a Z 2.5 hours away.

It's an 04.5 and it's throwing 2 codes. P1031 P1148. I know the P1031 is probably the Air/Fuel/Oxygen sensor (upstream). My question is, will that also throw the P1148? I read that it could also be that the ECU needs to be flashed. Also, he said that it has just developed a noise between 900-1100 RPM underneath. It sounds to me like it's an exhaust shield rattling or something. I have attached the video he sent me. He mentioned that he wasn't sure what it was, and has not looked. Said from research it sounded like it could be the heat shield or pilot bearing...In my experience, a bad pilot bearing is more of birds chirping sound. I asked him if it did it when the clutch was pressed in and he said yes...So I doubt that it is a pilot bearing. Just asking to see...I've never owned a Z, and didn't know if anyone had any insight.

Here is a link to the video he sent me that I uploaded to picasa
https://goo.gl/photos/6N1pF1kRCYd2ri1L7
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by matholland618
Hey guys. I was just looking for some insight before I go look at a Z 2.5 hours away.

It's an 04.5 and it's throwing 2 codes. P1031 P1148. I know the P1031 is probably the Air/Fuel/Oxygen sensor (upstream). My question is, will that also throw the P1148? I read that it could also be that the ECU needs to be flashed. Also, he said that it has just developed a noise between 900-1100 RPM underneath. It sounds to me like it's an exhaust shield rattling or something. I have attached the video he sent me. He mentioned that he wasn't sure what it was, and has not looked. Said from research it sounded like it could be the heat shield or pilot bearing...In my experience, a bad pilot bearing is more of birds chirping sound. I asked him if it did it when the clutch was pressed in and he said yes...So I doubt that it is a pilot bearing. Just asking to see...I've never owned a Z, and didn't know if anyone had any insight.

Here is a link to the video he sent me that I uploaded to picasa
https://goo.gl/photos/6N1pF1kRCYd2ri1L7
Well if the upstream O2 sensor (used for closed loop control) is bad it's likely the P1148 code is caused by the bad O2 Sensor. I will leave the sound to someone else.

First thing to pop up on google.
https://www.autocodes.com/p1148_nissan.html
https://www.autocodes.com/p1031_nissan.html
The following users liked this post:
matholland618 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 PM
matholland618

Originally Posted by rancor
Well if the upstream O2 sensor (used for closed loop control) is bad it's likely the P1148 code is caused by the bad O2 Sensor. I will leave the sound to someone else.

First thing to pop up on google.
https://www.autocodes.com/p1148_nissan.html
https://www.autocodes.com/p1031_nissan.html
That's kind of what I figured, but I did read elsewhere that some of these had an issue with the ECM and they needed to be flashed by Nissan to get rid of them.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by matholland618
That's kind of what I figured, but I did read elsewhere that some of these had an issue with the ECM and they needed to be flashed by Nissan to get rid of them.
"He mentioned that he wasn't sure what it was, and has not looked."....boy, never heard that one before

If you like it and are considering it, why not make a dealer (close to him) appointment and have it looked at while you're there?

I think if it was just a matter of clearing some codes he would've done that, especially when he's got someone coming to look at it.

Service records ...
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM
matholland618

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
"He mentioned that he wasn't sure what it was, and has not looked."....boy, never heard that one before

If you like it and are considering it, why not make a dealer (close to him) appointment and have it looked at while you're there?

I think if it was just a matter of clearing some codes he would've done that, especially when he's got someone coming to look at it.

Service records ...
He has another vehicle now I guess. He has owned it for 4 years and put around 60k miles on it. This isn't my first rodeo buying cars for sure, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I've got a nice scanner (Autel ms906) that I will be taking with me. My original thought was the upstream oxygen sensor was bad throwing the 2 codes just like it would do on an American based car.
I've not had many imports, so I'm not familiar with how everything works on these cars. The rattle sounds like metal vibrating to me, but it's hard to tell through a video. I would be going after work, which would put me there around 7pm, so I believe the garages there would be closed. The only thing that sucks, is that I won't be able to get underneath it while I'm checking it out. The purpose of this thread is basically to become more aware with the z's in general....All cars have their common flaws and what not, and I wasn't sure if there was something that I had not come across that was really common on these cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:11 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Im going to guess he has a hole in the catalytic converter causing the codes and the sound...
The following users liked this post:
matholland618 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM
matholland618

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Im going to guess he has a hole in the catalytic converter causing the codes and the sound...
I never thought about that...I bet you're right!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

The Z has an abundance of heat shields, and what you described sounds like it could be that.. Also, this guy doesn't seem very proactive about maintenance, so be careful.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 AM
matholland618

Well I went and looked at it last night and ended up passing for various reasons....upstream o2 sensor was dead...Never did hear the noise that he was talking about. It had a jwt clutch and flywheel in it that was around 4 years old...clutch grabbed good, but it made lots of noise at idle....like a bad throwout bearing...he claims that it's done it ever since that clutch was installed....but I had my doubts....rotors were wraped some, tires on the rear needed replacing...the quarter size ding he told me about was way worse than explained with another one and rub marks in front of it....outside pillar on driver side was broken on the back causing it not to seat down all the way....I also smelled some antifreeze and he claimed he had just changed the thermostat not long ago...there was hint of some antifreeze around the thermostat bolt, but I did not see any dripping anywhere...no leaks under the car....but anyway...still on the hunt.