Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

soft top operates intermittantly

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:39 AM
Woodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top operates intermittantly

I have 2007 Roadster, 30k miles on the odometer. The top always operated like a charm, never an issue for 15 years. I had it in storage for 1.5 years, so top didn't operate during that time. When I put it back on the road recently, I found that the top started its cycle, windows down and passenger seat forward, then a click is heard and nothing else happens. If I keep trying the control, I sometimes get the top to go through its full cycle, open, and then close. Once I got it open I cycled it several times without a problem. I thought the issue was solved. Until, a later date, when I tried it again, and back to nonfunctioning.

My next step was to take it to the dealer to get them to analyze problem and do the repair. The service manager told me that they have no one on staff now who can work on the soft top. I tried two other dealers in my area, North Shore Massachsetts, and they told me the same thing. they said no one wants to work on soft tops they are too complex and difficult.

My questions: what should I do? Does Nissan even make parts for the 2007 Roadster soft top? Should I look for a non Nissan mechanic who could handle a soft top repair? Any suggestions what to do?
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2024, 05:06 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,069 Likes on 757 Posts

If you want to take it somewhere, I would take it to a reputable shop that replaces convertible tops.

As far as the intermittent issues, it sounds like the open/close sensors/switches or actuators are probably sticking. This sometimes happens to me for the first few times I cycle the roof after the colder months when it sits in the garage. They are a fairly simple design, but there are a few of them as they send signals to the soft top control module to let the motors know where you are in the opening/closing sequence.

Here's a thread which shows what the different switches look like: https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...placement.html

Old 04-29-2024, 07:25 AM
Woodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the time and advice. I have found a reputable shop that specializes in convertible top replacements. I'll give them a try.

In the meantime, I'm leaving the top open and keeping a waterproof cover on the Z. Then I'll only use it on days when no rain is forecast which I tend to do anyway.