Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs

Old 11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs

Hey all,
May of 2013 I plan on moving somewhere in this region after getting out of the Navy after what will be 7 and change years. I'm looking for places that have tons of windy roads (as So Cal has tons of canyons to enjoy) and a good job market with low cost of living. I despise rain and snow, but if I moved back I would get a daily and let my Z finally be a garage queen. I know it's tough everywhere, but So Cal has nothing for me after I get out except un employment and the GI Bill. Im working on my Associates(or more) while Im in and my gf will be finishing her Masters in Public Health. She will be scoping out areas while completing an internship in the area too. We both have family in the midwest(Iowa, Nebraska, and some Missouri) and would like to be able to drive to see them when possible.

~cool story bro~ right?

Well, I would like some of y'alls inputs on where you live, and why you live there.

Cliffs

Getting out of the military in 2013
Looking for mild winters
Windy Roads
Good Z following(or cars in general)
Good job opportunities-for me with very little college and basically useless Military skills
Low Cost of living

We like the look of the Ozarks, but I have never been there in anything but diapers so not sure moving there blind would work?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
NoQuestionZ

bump
Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in southern Missouri and have for 14+ years. The scenery around here is really a sight to see, and after 14 years I still look off the road at all the bluffs, hills, and lakes.

As far as Z community, not a whole lot happening locally, (more action down in Arkansas) but there are quite a few 'Z' conventions that are from 30 mins to 3-7 hour drive away.

The roads are awesome no doubt in that.

Little "party night life" unless you are in a big city.

This is as far north as I would ever consider, anymore north and the winters are too cold/harsh for me.... In Branson we have snow/ice maybe a week or two out of the year. It gets cold but nothing too horrible.

Really depends on your needs and what you are used to... if you are used to the pretty lights, lots of traffic, club night life, and 70's weather year round you are in for a treat. (I can get to anywhere in town in 10 mins or less at any given time to give you an example lol)

We definitely have all four seasons here so be ready for 0-5*F in the winter - 110* in the summer.

Personally I love the area, I am from San Antonio originally and love it there also but it is peaceful, beautiful, and the cost of living is second to none.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
NoQuestionZ

Thanks for the insight ak48z!

The only thing Im really lookin for is a good blend of city and country life. I don't party hardly at all. I'd rather spend the $ on my Z. I don't mind snow, I just can NOT deal with 7+ feet of it like we had in Iowa growing up. So Cal has spoiled me for the past 5-6 years. It's not reasonable to think I can have San Diego in the mid west, but I'd like something along the lines.

I'm addicted to the canyons out here, and my car is number 1. well my gf is right up there too but I'd like to be able to drive my car over half the year. I would no doubt have a piecer daily, but I want the option to take the Z out whenever I want.

What about shops and monthly meets? I don't have enough done to my car(ie tuning/dyno) to need shops, but I want to in the future!

Thanks again for your post! I want to gather info for the next year and few months getting job/school/house together with out really going there!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Ak48z

I drive my Z year round with the exception of those couple weeks we happen to have snow/ice on the ground so no issues there. (btw a foot is about the most you will ever see down here)

As far as shops, there are quiet a few good shops around the area, nothing completely "Z" related though unless you drive 3-7 hours. Local shop is actually getting licensed in Osiris tuning shortly.

I don't participate in any monthly meets ATM, and am not sure if there are any Z ones in my area. Arkansas does a monthy meet though. Compared to SoCal the car scene here is going to be a pretty big disappointment I could only imagine. (a plus sometimes as there are not a ton of super nice cars to compete with )

If you don't party much there is not much you won't like out here. Even then it is only a 2-3 hour drive to KC or STL which I frequent for mini-vacations just to get away from life.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:58 PM
NoQuestionZ

The San Diego Scene is good, but not the best in So Cal. The only drag track IN SD is an 1/8th mile. A couple hours driving is no big whoop, I usually do that picking up/dropping off parts! There is a monthly meet out here of all cars that's usually pretty huge. I would want that for sure if possible. I always try to plan caravans to events around here and I like to meet new people, especially gear heads!

I'm digging the year round Z driving since my car isn't paid off yet as I have only had it for a couple years. It will be well under 10k by the time I get out, but I would rather have 1 payment than 2 for another daily.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Ak48z

There are plenty of gear heads to meet then around the area... The domestic crowd is definitely alot bigger here than imports. There is a full 1/4 track 30 mins away from me... and they are actually in the process of building a road course / nascar track within 10 mins of me. (if it actually gets built, look up branson speedway on facebook)

I can't think of a monthly meet still but there are a few car clubs in the area that do occasional meetings/cruises/etc.... Look up 417racing, Springfield Select, Missouri Select.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:25 PM
NoQuestionZ

this all sounds good... I might have to dabble in the domestic scene when I get there!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
NoQuestionZ

Ttt any info for me!?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
NoQuestionZ

bump for info!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 AM
NoQuestionZ

any information?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I live in Lake Saint Louis, Mo presently but my wife and I are thinking of moving to Springfield, Mo in the spring. We just have to sell our house and the move will be a definite. We've gone to Branson 2 or 3 times a year for probably the past 25 years. We love the area. Fortunately, I am retired so a job is not a prerequisite for the move. The cost of living is much cheaper than in the St Louis area so that is a real plus. The twisty roads are a definite plus and the Pig Trail is only about an hour's drive south of Branson. Lots of fun things to do in that area.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
NoQuestionZ

With a SN as kornercarver you BETTER know where the windy roads are! Pig trail sounds like my cup of tea, thanks for the good info!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 AM
NoQuestionZ

bump for more informations~!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 AM
NZMOWND

Pig Trail FTW!!! the Nismo looooooves the Pig Trail...we have monthly meets in Little Rock but thats a good ways from you but as far as weather goes, i daily the Z except when it snows obviously and run summer tires year round! Branson has a Z Fest that usually has a really good turnout!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
Pig Trail FTW!!! the Nismo looooooves the Pig Trail...we have monthly meets in Little Rock but thats a good ways from you but as far as weather goes, i daily the Z except when it snows obviously and run summer tires year round! Branson has a Z Fest that usually has a really good turnout!
Nice. This kinda info is really giving me a good feeling about leaving the 70+ degree weather and canyons of So Cal.... k maybe not 100% but close! thanks for the info!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
NoQuestionZ

Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM
jnelson

I actually just got my Z a few months ago and have noticed quite a few around the Springfield area, but have yet to hear about any meet up locations besides the one in Branson in the summer. I would love to see a Z club get started though.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM
NoQuestionZ

Originally Posted by jnelson
I actually just got my Z a few months ago and have noticed quite a few around the Springfield area, but have yet to hear about any meet up locations besides the one in Branson in the summer. I would love to see a Z club get started though.
I have no problem trying to get people organized or put stuff together.... I just want to go somewhere that that is even a possibility! No horse and buggy stuff......hahaha

have you found any other roads worth mentioning besides the ones already mentioned?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Ak48z

I wouldn't worry about the roads.. there are more curves within 5 mins to a couple hours than you will ever need.

For a quick route, hwy 248 is fun... I like the roads down in Arkansas more because there is little to no traffic most of the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Southern MO Happnins Z wise and Jobs