Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Moving to Key West

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:04 PM
ZRiCaN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Key West

Its a lil early but I wanna be prepared, I am transferring to Key West early next summer, originally I grew up in miami so I have some knowledge, but none when it cames to living in the keys. just looking for any info for the area, cost of living, nitelife, boating. Ive heard its easier to live on one of the other keys, Im looking to rent a house. For other military folk, Im an E5 no dep, anyone no the BAH?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Zexy

This should be interesting! I wonder if there are other Z enthusiasts living in the keys.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
ZRiCaN

Most likely a lot of rich people own houses in the keys for vacation homes, so there is money down there, not sayin you need money to own a Z. I am by no means wealthy, but I wouldnt doubt I run into one or two
Old 09-10-2005, 04:04 PM
ZRiCaN

BUMP! Man no info on the keys???
Old 09-10-2005, 04:34 PM
SoFla350z

Theres a meet/cruise in Key West next month.

http://www.sfzcc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1655

If I were to move down there I'd check into living in Marathon, one of the bigger more populated keys. I was there 2 weeks ago and rented a boat, everyone I talked to was very friendly.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:57 PM
ZRiCaN

Yea I've heard marathon is pretty nice, but I have to be within a certain distance of the base, which is on key west
Old 09-11-2005, 06:05 PM
PapaTango

Originally Posted by ZRiCaN
Yea I've heard marathon is pretty nice, but I have to be within a certain distance of the base, which is on key west
I lived in KW in '79-'81' working at the Army Dive School on Fleming Key. Back then KW was a rather quiet little back-water locale; a bunch of tourists during the winter months and practically empty in the summer.

Now when I visit on TDY? 24/7/365 days a year tourists. There seems to always be at least 1 cruise ship in dock (sometimes 2). Duval Street downtown is one giant T-shirt shop. I don't know how the stores make any money, they all sell the same logoed shirts. Fantesy Fest in October conincides with Holloween and Marti Gras and is one big street party-anything. and I mean anything, goes.

Alcohol consumption (mostly the tourists) is a local endurance sport. The bars are almost always 4-deep with folks trying to get a beer. Cops are death on any traffic infraction from an expired parking meter to DUI. Parking downtown used to be in any available space your car would fit in, now every KW native that lives within 10 blocks of downtown has his owm pay-by-the-hour parking lot. The towing business is a growth industry down there. Traffic anywhere on the island is usually pretty heavy day or night.

Everything is more expensive than on the mainland. One, because it is a tourist based economy, second because everything has to travel an extra 150 miles overland to get there. Gas to food to clothes to a box of nails, it all costs more.

The bases are adequate for the size of the military population, housing is pretty good on Sigsbee Point where the PX and gas station are. Trumbo Point has most of the Officer housing.

I don't want to paint a bleak picture, but there will be some culture shock. Certain alternative lifestyles are fairly visible, if you get my drift. The locails are pretty layed back (it is the tropics, remember) the weather is hot and humid in the summer and fast moving thunderstorms can crop up almost out of nowhere. The salt air is pretty hard on paint and metal surfaces. Waxing will become a second occupation if you want to keep your car looking good.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
ZRiCaN

Originally Posted by PapaTango

The salt air is pretty hard on paint and metal surfaces. Waxing will become a second occupation if you want to keep your car looking good.
Sounds great
Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 AM
eposner

Default kw rulz

I lived down on the rock for seven years....the nissan dealer down there is pretty good..I know of at least 4 zs on the island all friends of mine. Drinking is a full contact sport down there. Marathon is a 55 mile commute to the rock. maby 1hr 45miles an hour on us1 and big pine is 35mph......lots of grat food and the diving is great. what base are you on??? i did alot of dod contracting down there........
Old 09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
ZRiCaN

Nice so I wont be the only Z there, but still nice I'll be one of very few. Good to hear I'll have a reputible Nissan dealer. Drinking and partying thing I'm not too worried about, formally Stationed in New Orleans been to the real Mardi Gras, twice. So I'm covered there. I just found out I may have a good deal on a scooter, would the be a good investment to put around the island with?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:29 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Hey. My parents are thinking of seller there place in Marathon. Right on the ocean. I love the keys. So peaceful. Have fun down there.