Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Anyone know of tracks you can race on in GA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know of tracks you can race on in GA?

I'm currently looking for a track that I can push my car to its limits legally in GA. I know theres road atlanta, but I don't know if you can race there. Does anyone have any information in regards to schedules (when you can actually race) for road atlanta? Also, are there any requirements when you race? (helmet, roll cage, etc) Any help to get me started would be appriciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:29 AM
southern_info

Here's a USA Race Track Locator! LINK ~> http://chasinracin.com/track-locator/states/index.shtml
Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by krnlikewh0a
I'm currently looking for a track that I can push my car to its limits legally in GA. I know theres road atlanta, but I don't know if you can race there. Does anyone have any information in regards to schedules (when you can actually race) for road atlanta? Also, are there any requirements when you race? (helmet, roll cage, etc) Any help to get me started would be appriciated. Thanks in advance!
Road Atlanta isn't actually going to allow you to "push your car to its limits", you are paced but depending on the group you are with it still can be alot of intense fun.

There is Auto-X (road racing) events and drag strips is that what you were meaning?

Oh and unless you are just balling like that, the Road Atlanta option is quite a good bit of money but for those who forked over the cash say it was worth it.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
TrackHoRX8

I've done HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) at two tracks in GA. I've been to Road Atlanta about 4 times and Roebling Road Raceway (Savannah, GA) last weekend. Both are a blast to drive and they will definitely test your driving abilities and the car. I have gone with both Panoz Racing School and NASA HPDE. I really liked NASA because they give you an instructor that sits in your car with you and teaches you throughout the 2-day event. There are classroom and track sessions and I learned a hell of a lot.
Here's a link to one of the sessions at Road Atlanta.

http://www.geralds.net/HPDE031905/hpdesession2.wmv
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
TrackHoRX8

Originally Posted by Peking
Road Atlanta isn't actually going to allow you to "push your car to its limits", you are paced but depending on the group you are with it still can be alot of intense fun.

This isn't true. If you do NASA HPDE's, you will push the hell out of the car. If you do the first session of Panoz Track days, you will be following someone.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
NASA HPDE's

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/
NASA SE Region. I'd recommend doing one of these. Great price, great fun, great learning, you'll push the car if you are confortable.

Watch the video in the previous post.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:28 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Thanks for all the input. Anyone have a link to an event calender for HPDE? Also, how much is it to do something like that? Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
TrackHoRX8

Thanks for all the input. Anyone have a link to an event calender for HPDE? Also, how much is it to do something like that? Thanks again.

NASA's HPDE is ~$300 for the weekend. That's Sat and Sun on the track and in the classroom. There is a calendar at NASA's web site. We (The RX-8 club) will be going to the event in Rockingham, NC. We usually have others go with us like Evo 8's and Z's. Just because it's the RX-8 club, doesn't mean anything. We'd love to have any other cars go too. Roebling Road was $300 as well as Road Atlanta. We got a group discount at RA since we had 8 of us go.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Wow, thats quite expensive, but I really don't have a choice as Im guessing all of the tracks will be the same. Does that price include an instructor? Also, what equipment do I need to bring? This will be my first track event, so sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:39 PM
TrackHoRX8

Wow, thats quite expensive, but I really don't have a choice as Im guessing all of the tracks will be the same. Does that price include an instructor? Also, what equipment do I need to bring? This will be my first track event, so sorry for all the newbie questions. Thanks!
That is one of the cheaper schools I've been to. And most informative. It does include an instructor for both days. To tell you the truth, $300 for 2 days of instuction is great. Panoz, without an instructor, is $375 for ONE day. That is a lead follow if you are new to the track. The NASA one is much better. There are also some regular open track "Track Days" for about $175 - $250 / day, which is an open track that you are free on, but there is no real instruction, just an open track. I autocross a lot and have always thought that I was a great driver, but after spending some time with a "pro", I realize how difficult it is to keep a car at it's limit, continue to explore that limit, and safely make it around a track at very high speeds. I do pretty well, but I let my instructor drive my car and he blew me away. There is so much more capability in that car.

All you will need is a helmet. If you don't have one, they usually rent one to you for like $20. I usually also bring a lot of snacks and drinks to keep hydrated and some painter's tape to cover headlights. You'll have a blast! Let me know when you're going, I'll go too. You can't ever have too much, and it really gets addictive.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by TrackHoRX8
This isn't true. If you do NASA HPDE's, you will push the hell out of the car. If you do the first session of Panoz Track days, you will be following someone.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
NASA HPDE's

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/
NASA SE Region. I'd recommend doing one of these. Great price, great fun, great learning, you'll push the car if you are confortable.

Watch the video in the previous post.
Sorry going off of what folks that I know who have gone and done it. Maybe what isn't "pushing your car to your limits" depends on who you are
Old 10-03-2005, 06:02 AM
TrackHoRX8

Maybe. I'm also sure that pushing the car to it's limits and pushing the driver to his/her limits are different.