Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Paintshop woes help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Paintshop woes help!

So i decide to take my boy lebbypooh's advice and take my chrome silver z with shine autos amuse fb and sides to SPRAYGLO... i dropped her off first thing monday morning and went to check up on her today.... i wanted to talk to the owner of the shop about the time im looking at without my Z only to find him gone and a bunch of teenagers at the shop working... i asked to see my car just to "see the progress" only to find a half-assed primer prep done... big blotchy black spots from shines material still visible... (i detailed at body shops before and maybe im wrong but i thought the full surface of the parts should be covered and smooth...) and on top of that the kid says... " you know its hard to match silver.... its going to be a shade off" at this point im like wtf?!? who says that to a customer... i almost asked for my keys right then and there but i wanted to talk to the owner first.. (tomorrow morning) personally... any good painter who cares about the job he's doing can get it damn close to perfect if he tries.... they did however have alot of cars to paint but that doesn change the fact that they assured me a "quality paint job" for $800 for front and sides.... common sense tells me to ask the owner if his guy can do it right or not... anf if not... gimme my keys and i'll toss you 100 bucks for a sh!tty primer prep..... what would you guys do... this is my first time modding the exterior on any car i owned.... and it doesnt make sense... because Jay at evo-R damn near matched my cars color perfectly from ****** newyork... i need advice asap because if i take it somewhere else it'll have to b e tomorrow because i start my new job monday and this is my DD

Last edited by DaProdigy; 04-22-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Swifty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offence, but Spray Glow is a cheap place to take anything. Its a pay for what you get place. I would ask for your money back and find a new place... OR talk with the owner and see what he says about them matching the paint.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Nismo350Z_00

I took my Veilside it in to a guy here in goldsboro and had some extra stuff filled in to make the kit a little different and he charged me 1600. But it was def worth the money and he matched my Metallic black perfectly.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 AM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by Swifty
No offence, but Spray Glow is a cheap place to take anything. Its a pay for what you get place. I would ask for your money back and find a new place... OR talk with the owner and see what he says about them matching the paint.

yea im about to head out there now... i wish i had known this before everyone says sprayglo does good paint work around here so i figured i'd try it... but we'll see... im about to go talk to the owner
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 AM
apsttRDSTR

DaProdigy,
I am in the process of getting my front bumper, front lip, side skirts, and spoiler painted. I dealt with Slop-n-Go a few weeks ago and for the work on the side-skirts, spoiler, and front lip they quoted me 1K this did not include the upgraded clear coat of the body work and paint on the front bumper.

I have a friend in town that does a phenomenal job on painting and chargers a fraction of the cost that a body shop charges. He does body work and will make sure that all body lines match up. He has an established paint and body business and has contracts with most of the dealerships in FWB, Pensacola, & Panama City. He has done paint for me in the past and his work is great. The only thing is that he is busy all the time! The average turn around seems to be 2-3 weeks for the paint and body work. This is because he has to do the work on the side or in stages due to the contracts with the dealerships. He is the only person that I have seen match and blend all colors perfectly including metallic and pearl every time.

Pm me and I will get you the details.

Swifty,
He should be able to do the center console for you. Hope to have my roadster back together before the meet on the 4th in destin. This time I will have the exterior done and the APS TT's should be running on 2 turbos instead of 1 and 1/2 turbos. (drivers side turbo locked up at Z-Nationals track day)
Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 AM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by apsttRDSTR
DaProdigy,
I am in the process of getting my front bumper, front lip, side skirts, and spoiler painted. I dealt with Slop-n-Go a few weeks ago and for the work on the side-skirts, spoiler, and front lip they quoted me 1K this did not include the upgraded clear coat of the body work and paint on the front bumper.

I have a friend in town that does a phenomenal job on painting and chargers a fraction of the cost that a body shop charges. He does body work and will make sure that all body lines match up. He has an established paint and body business and has contracts with most of the dealerships in FWB, Pensacola, & Panama City. He has done paint for me in the past and his work is great. The only thing is that he is busy all the time! The average turn around seems to be 2-3 weeks for the paint and body work. This is because he has to do the work on the side or in stages due to the contracts with the dealerships. He is the only person that I have seen match and blend all colors perfectly including metallic and pearl every time.

Pm me and I will get you the details.

Swifty,
He should be able to do the center console for you. Hope to have my roadster back together before the meet on the 4th in destin. This time I will have the exterior done and the APS TT's should be running on 2 turbos instead of 1 and 1/2 turbos. (drivers side turbo locked up at Z-Nationals track day)
thanks for your concern and lending out a helping hand but i live in atlanta... lol if it wasnt my DD i would drive it down there in a heart-beat... but i went and talked to the guy... and basically put most of my worries to rest.... turns out the kid i talked to didnt really know what he was talking about (big surprise there)... so i learned a couple of valuable things i didnt know in a matter of 15 minutes... first... chrome silver metallic (and probobly every z color) comes in 6 different shades... i didnt know that... then he put my vin in a computer program and said it was a 55-45% chance of getting it right.... so i took the two colors in the book that showed up and was able to find the exact color that my z was painted... which was "standard" chrome silver metallic... as of now after doing a thorough inspection of the work done thus far i really have no bad comments to make about this shop in particular... i can't speak for the other locations but the Duluth shop (buford highway) seems to know what they're doing... i will post pics and a review of their work this weekend for everyone else in the atlanta area looking to get work done... lol there was like4 Z's and a red g35 in there this morning getting worked on so they are used to working on these cars.... pics and review will be up this weekend

Thomas
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 AM
apsttRDSTR

Sorry I did not read the location... Just trying to help... Good luck!!!

Jason
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by apsttRDSTR
Sorry I did not read the location... Just trying to help... Good luck!!!

Jason

i know and i appreciate it... im just too far but like i said everything should turn out good we'll see
Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
SupermanZ

I was there last week to get a price for a paint job. From what I've heard from alot of locals is that they are really good. I know they do alot of local show cars. The red G belongs to ATL_Red_G35. My car might be there next week.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Willowns

Any1 got the phone number to this place? I need to get my new FB and sides painted and maybee fitted. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

hell i need sides and rear painted and a CF lip and Titek intake installed, if they do good work, i'd like to know too
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
SupermanZ

Duluth Sprayglo 770-476-7048
Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
DaProdigy

yeah thats it... atleast they keep atl_red's and I's cars inside overnight.... and most if not all the doubts i had before are gone... so i wouldnt hesitate to take my ride there... we'll know for sure when m paint it finished... i was hoping o get it back before the rain but it looks like its not going to happen... might not be done till friday... oh well as long as its done right i dont care...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

you coming out to the dyno day at Forged? it's tough to find a good body shop around here like I told ya in PM. The place that painted my door did a great job on the paint match but ended up screwing up the lips on my Volks. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

this is exactly why i got out of the show car scene. i use to win alot of awards for showing my previous cars. finding a painter that you can trust and rely on is hard within itself. Its so frustrating getting the painter to get the paint perfect, color match it, its a ***** to deal with, good luck. i now keep my cars very clean looking, a lip, small spoiler, nice wheels, and its a wrap hate dealing with body shops.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
you coming out to the dyno day at Forged? it's tough to find a good body shop around here like I told ya in PM. The place that painted my door did a great job on the paint match but ended up screwing up the lips on my Volks. Hope everything works out for you.
yea but its just a front and sides... im going to throw a cf diffuser on the rear and maybe do something with the hood and be done with the exterior besides some new wheels... im thinking about getting some mag blue gtf's or maybe mercury silver... and ofcourse re-do my brakes... after that im done with the exterior... lol no more kits... like i said i've never modded the exterior of my car... but when i saw the amuse a while back i fell in love... but yea.. im done with the whole bodykit stuff... its a pain in the ***... and honestly... i miss my car... lol my girl has been saying i've been acting down since i dropped it off... is that bad? excessive?

oh yea dyno day.... i regret that i might have to work... sux... there will be other days... i dunno i'll try to go... im not putting my car on that thing though...i have a few more mods to do before i even do it
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by marques1
this is exactly why i got out of the show car scene. i use to win alot of awards for showing my previous cars. finding a painter that you can trust and rely on is hard within itself. Its so frustrating getting the painter to get the paint perfect, color match it, its a ***** to deal with, good luck. i now keep my cars very clean looking, a lip, small spoiler, nice wheels, and its a wrap hate dealing with body shops.
yea.... i feel ya and thanks... like i said i think im done with the bodykit stuff... hwo knows the bug might bite again... but the way i feel right now i think im done...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
marques1

yeah man, i found its just easier doing the simple stuff rather than going extravagant with a painter you dont know much about. if anything i would ask to see at least 10 examples of his work before getting your **** painted. their is just so much that can go wrong with a painter. lazyness which i mean they dont sand **** like they should, fish eye, orange peel, color is off, not enough clear coat, dont wet sand your **** when they are done. sorry for the rant i feel as if this thread was made for me, lol.

ive learned that you can make a car really nice by keeping it simple but picking the right parts.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by marques1
yeah man, i found its just easier doing the simple stuff rather than going extravagant with a painter you dont know much about. if anything i would ask to see at least 10 examples of his work before getting your **** painted. their is just so much that can go wrong with a painter. lazyness which i mean they dont sand **** like they should, fish eye, orange peel, color is off, not enough clear coat, dont wet sand your **** when they are done. sorry for the rant i feel as if this thread was made for me, lol.

ive learned that you can make a car really nice by keeping it simple but picking the right parts.

no doubt... it has been a learning experience... hats off to the guys who pulled it off as good as they did... its pretty much shoot and prey lol... im keeping my stock fb incase i decide to go back to it with a nice lip... but rants are good when they are informative...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
marques1

well good luck with your kit im sure with the help of the z members you will find a painter up to par. the people on this website can save you alot of time and hassle sometimes, lots of good information.

Quick Reply: Paintshop woes help!