Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Question for people in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 08:29 AM
Gish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for people in Denver

Is it possible to drive the Z in the winter? I may be doing my residency at the U of Colorado and was wondering. I Don't want to sell my Z!!!!!!

Gish
Old 12-12-2002, 09:25 AM
kohlersc

I will be driving mine year round and live in Boulder. Will keep you up to date. But expect to get a set of winter tires.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Redline track owner...

...who lives in the Denver metro area. Since October, I've had the pleasure of driving this car in a variety of weather. The only place you don't want to be caught is in a snowstorm! The Z is not equipped with snow-friendly tires and I was fortunate to get home without any problems.

The good news is that, despite the reputation, Colorado's front range (this includes Boulder) doesn't really get that much snow for nine months out of the year. If you really must drive your new Z all the time, follow kohlerc's advise and plan on a separate set of wheels mounted with dedicated snow tires for those three months. Otherwise, buy a beater or use public transportation (very good in Boulder) for the winter months and use the Z judiciously the rest of the time!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:33 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the previous answers. You can absolutely drive your Z year-round, but if you're not getting snow tires, then you'll want to have an alternate form of transportation for the less-than-10 days of the year that the snow is too bad for driving the Z.

We get so much sun here that any new snow on the roads melts very quickly, and the sand that they put on the roads to help with traction over snow and ice tends to get washed/kicked away within a couple of days, so you don't have to worry about it getting kicked up onto your paint.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of driving that I've been able to do in my Z so far this season. I kept my 4WD Explorer for snow days and expected to have to garage my Z for the entire winter, but I've been driving it almost every day since I got it at the end of August.

Even high in the mountains, the snow doesn't stick to the road very long. Last weekend, I went on a 4 hour drive up to Estes Park and Nederland, and didn't see any snow on the road.

Good luck, and enjoy Boulder. It's one of the most scenic cities in the nation, IMO.

Gary
Old 12-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Gish

Thanks for all the replies guys. Actually, I might attend the Univ of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver (4 hospitals). I guess I will find out match-day. I want to practice in Denver or Colorado springs afterwards too. I went to undergrad at The University of Texas and med school at Texas Tech, so I am not used to the snow

Gish
Old 01-10-2003, 09:18 AM
tomw1975

tried driving mine in the snow - didn't really like it too much, got to watch out for that power through the back wheels!! After getting used to it it is fine though..... Still, I think I will be stealing the fiance's jeep in future when it gets heavy!!!