South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

PMI Open day.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

I've resisted posting on this thread for some time, so I hope this doesn't come off as being pushy. While I'm always happy to hear about any Colorado track day, an unsupervised track day at PMI can be a potentially dangerous situation. The 2.2 mile road course has the best layout in Colorado, but does feature some high-to-medium speed sections that call for both good judgement and experience. When we've run past 350Z HPDEs there, we run several driving exercises before we actually even hit the track. Then we divide the track into halves and run many laps of "follow-the-leader" at slowly increasing speeds to acclimate and learn the line. Knock on wood, we've never had ANY accidents at any of our HPDEs.

I don't want to sound any alarms or scare anyone off, just add a cautionary note to the thread. With a mixed group of cars and drivers it might not be a bad idea to put some passing rules into effect or divide the group into those with experience and those without. I'll let Hyper-Z or others make that decision, it's their track day after all. And while I have a SCCA race at LaJunta the weekend before, unless I wear out ALL the equipment, I'll plan on making the 8th as well!

David Muramoto
Senior Editor
Nissan Sport Magazine
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Amarao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta pick a helmet up but I'm all in for a full day.

Did anyone from the Springs want to meet up and drive down? And to the Denver guys, on our trip to Cripple Creek we all met up at the gas station at Woodmen and I-25 and went from there. Anyone interested in doing that?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Hyper-Z

DK, great points, I have been thinking about how to organize this, your input would be greatly appreciated! I haven't really put anything out there because this is an open session, the only rules I'd want to impose are passing etiquette and passing zones, unless the rest of the guys going are down for a more structured event. In which case, offering instruction to the new guys would be great!

Amarao, what time would you guys want to try to rendezvous? I'm thinking for up here we should be down at Park Meadows by 545-615am or so.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Hyper-Z

Could everyone interested in going, tell me if you are interested in a half or a full day? I need atleast 9other people locked in for a full day! Thanks!

-Barry
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Amarao

How long does it take to get to PMI from Woodmen/I-25? Figure we leave Woodmen to get there in time, Springs guys meet there 15-30min before that.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Hyper-Z

Amarao, it takes about 1.5 hours to get to Pueblo from Arapahoe and I-25, so I assume for you it'll take about 45 mins or less from down there!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Barry- I'll commit to doing the full day, but will probably go down the night before to meet you at the track.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Hyper-Z

Updated list with times.

Commited to going
{
Full Day:
1) Hyper (Barry) IS300
2) Spartikus (Jorge) S2k
3) J.T. Heilbrun S2k
4) J.T. H Friend Forester
5) Amarao (my350Z.com) G35
6) Psyclone S2k
7) Dkmura (My350z.com) 350Z

Half Day:
8) Goku S2k (preference but willing to go for full day)
9) Goku Friend Integra (preference but willing to go for full day)

Unknown Half or Full:
10) Adam (codrift.org) S13/SR20DET
11) Travis (Codrift.org) FC-RX7
12) Denver (s2kca.com) S2k
}

Potentially:
{
13) Devin (codrift.org) TE27 Corolla
14) RobertK (my350Z.com) 350Z
15) Spa01s2k S2k
16) Peter (my350Z.com) 350Z
17) Red-S2k-00
18) dchrastil (my350z.com) 350Z
19) Mirror S2k
20) Spartikus' Friend Miata
}

DKMura made a good post about some track saftey and passing zones. If there is no objection I'm thinking we could add some structure to our track day. We could have instruction as well as follow-the-leader laps for those who want it, if we have instructors and experienced drivers who'd want to show some basic pointers. This is still going to be an OPEN track day, so there will be plenty of time for both personal running and structured running.

Please chime in with any suggestions you guys have, or preferences.

Edit: removed Chuy
Edit: added DKMura
Edit: added Devin

Last edited by Hyper-Z; 08-21-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM
bamyi

I really like David's idea since I don't have track experience. I would enjoy playing following the leader to learn.

If I'm off that weekend, I defiantely go. I will check today at work and post if I'm going or not.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
jgray

Ok, I'm tired of lurking on this thread - I need some seat time!

Count me in for a full day on the 8th.

Anyone interested in helping me install a stage 2 brake kit before the event? My rotors and pads won't make another track day. I haven't bought the kit yet, so if you guys have other suggestions I'm all ears. I'm looking at a Stoptech Stage 2 with slotted rotors - don't know which pads to go with though (I'm tough on brakes).

Joel
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Amarao

jgray, I'm out of town 23rd-2nd but 3rd-7th im available in the AM if you want.

I'll talk with my friend tomorrow about how long it takes him to get to PMI and then set a meeting time. Does the gas station by Woodmen Nissan work for everyone?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 AM
bamyi

Ok, I'm off that day so sign me up for a full day.

PS. A friend wants to come but he'll be sharing a car with me. Is that ok with the track?

Now, time to spend money on a good helmet.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Speaking of helmets, it's important to look for a SA-rated ("Special Application") one. I'd recommend going to a place like Mortens Motorsports Supply (near I-76 and east of hwy 85) and trying on a few.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Bottom

Just got the 8th off, so I'm in for a full day.

I'm letting (3) other friends know about this and I'll post if they're going too.

Barry: thanks for setting this up.

David
Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Hyper-Z

Updated list with times.

Commited to going
{
Full Day:
1) Hyper [Barry] (my.is) IS300
2) Spartikus [Jorge] (s2ki.com) S2000
3) J.T. Heilbrun (s2ki.com) S2000
4) J.T. H Friend Forester
5) J.T. H Friend Eagle Talon
6) Amarao (my350Z.com) G35
7) Psyclone (s2ki.com) S2000
8) Dkmura [David] (My350z.com) 350Z
9) Bamyi (My350z.com) 350Z
10) Jgray [Joel] (My350z.com) 350Z
11) Bottom [David] (My350z.com) 350Z

Half Day:
12) Goku S2000 (s2ki.com) (preference but willing to go for full day)
13) Goku Friend Integra (preference but willing to go for full day)
14) Travis (Codrift.org) FC-RX7

Unknown Half or Full:
15) Adam (codrift.org) S13/SR20DET
16) Denver (s2kca.com) S2000
}

Potentially:
{
16) Devin (codrift.org) TE27 Corolla
17) RobertK (my350Z.com) 350Z
18) Spa01s2k (s2ki.com) S2000
19) Peter (my350Z.com) 350Z
20) Red-S2k-00 (s2ki.com) S2000
21) dchrastil (my350z.com) 350Z
22) Mirror (s2ki.com) S2000
23) Spartikus' Friend Miata
24) J.T. H Dad IS350!
}

Quite a list, 16 people confirmed, this is excellent!

=======================================================
With this update I'd like to get a feel for the experience level of individual participants.
1) How many people have been on a circuit before?
2) How many people have been on this circuit before?
3) Any other events (Autox, school, etc.)?

=======================================================

Depending on the responses, it may be nice to structure a part of the morning for instruction, giving the rest of the day for free-run!

Several people have offered to provide instruction/pointers to any who want it. (anyone could benefit from some instruction from an experienced racer!).

Last edited by Hyper-Z; 08-22-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Amarao

I'm a total noob when it comes to track days. So any pointers Dkmura is willing to give, I'll be eager to listen.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Since there's still enough time to get things done before the event, I thought that a tip (or two) might be helpful BEFORE we get to the track. For those who haven't been to PMI before, BRAKES are usually THE limiting factor in how much fun you can have during the day. I resurrected the following from a 2004 PMI thread, but it still rings true:

It simply isn't worth it to stretch the life on your brake pads. First, when they get thin, there is less material to absorb the heat and it, in turn, begins begins to transfer more heat into the calipers, seals, fluid, etc. Besides risking the car when you REALLY need brakes (and you WILL NEED the brakes at PMI), it degrades the rest of your braking system as well. If you're really down to 3/8" of pad material left, MAYBE run it one more event, but recognize that the thinner the pad gets, the QUICKER they will wear as the heat overloads the remaining material. Remember that pad wear increases exponentially as the material gets thinner.

A good rule-of-thumb is to check your pads and toss (or keep as a street emergency pad) any pad whose material gets about as thick as the backing plate itself. I realize that budgets get stretched, but when you consider the nominal cost of a consumable item like brake pads vs. risking your valuable Z, it doesn't make much sense to skimp on them.

Speaking of budgets, I'd also recommend bleeding your brakes BEFORE the day of the event. Get some good DOT 4 rated fluid, like Valvoline Synpower (available locally for about $7) and ask if you need help in getting 'em bled. If you use new pads, try to bed them properly in by following there directions:
Drive slowly (under 30 MPH) and use 6-12 gentle applications to get to about 4-5 MPH. Try not to stop completely (and do this on a quiet back street so you don't cause any problems). After this, get out on your local highway at an off-peak time and accelerate up to about 55-65 MPH. Use an off ramp (and check those mirrors) to fimly apply the brakes and slow the car down. Turn around on the cloverleaf or reenter the highway safely and repeat at the next off-ramp. Do this 6-8 times and then take your car home and let it cool overnight (DO NOT set the parking brake). This procedure will really help the longevity of your brakes at PMI.

BTW - get your Z in good shape for this event. There won't be any refunds from track management if the brakes (or anything else) goes after you start the day. Questions? Comments?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Amarao

Very good points made, what about tire pressure? I'm sure it might be something that could be overlooked by mistake. Also about lunch and drinks? I'm assuming we all need to bring lunch and drinks. About how much fluids do you bring to a track day?

Thanks for all the info man.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Bottom

Even though I've been to track a few times and had instruction from both Gary and Dave, I still consider myself a newb. So from one newb to another, and also going along what Dave posted, I think that a track worthy (not high performance street) pad and brake fluid that will handle the higher temps is all you'll need for now. It's one less thing to worry about, plus it will give more time on the track and less time waiting for your brakes and brake fluid to cool down. I think that I still lack the testicular fortitude to push the Z to 100%, but it's good to know that I can rely on the brakes to be there fairly consistently. I still wish I had Brembos though. I am still learning how much I can push the car into the turns. So until I feel comfortable at that, big brakes won't help me, yet. Plus the 20" rims I have....oh wait that's the other thread.

Things that I usually bring are a helmet, long sleeve cotton shirt, good shoes, food (lunch, snacks, energy stuff), and plenty to drink. It's pretty easy to get a little dehydrated when you're trying to chase down a 911 GT3. Well not really. I bring about the same amount of fluids that I would bring if I were playing in volleyball or something like that, of course sans beer.

I also bring a small, but good set of tools and parts that may come in handy. I.E. Duct tape. It seems like there is a good selection of hand and garage tools with all that everyone brings. There's also a wealth of knowledge that comes too.

For tire pressure, all I find myself doing is checking it right after every session. And then trying to maintain the pressure to about 40 psi. For some reason I don't like to take too much out because of the drive home. I have a small 120v air compressor that I'll bring if anyone can confirm that PMI has available power outlets.

Anyway, looking forward to this event. I've been to PMI, but never to an open track event.
David
Old 08-23-2006, 05:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bottom has hit all the high points (except for that mention of 20" chrome rims...) and there's just a few to qualify. If you're on the OEM Bridgestones, start with the stock inflation rates of 35# cold. Then as David says, check them after every session to keep them under 40#. Our experience with the contact patch on those particular tires is that it changes as the pressure rises above 40# and the car loses traction. Other tires may have a slightly different profile, but 35# cold is still a good place to start. This might also be a good place to mention that your wheel nuts should be torqued to 85 ft/lbs before the event.

Bring plenty of drinks and a light lunch, PMI has no open concession stands for weekdays. I'll also be bringing an electric impact gun and assorted tools (including air gauges and a torque wrench). PMI does have power outlets near the main timinig and scoring building. Not sure if they are always on, though.

Quick Reply: PMI Open day.