Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

PMI Open day.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Damn David... Sorry to hear about your car. Glad to here everyone was ok though and you're holding your head high. Know how long the Z will be out of service? Anyhow... Its awesome you are still willing to drive to PMI and offer you knowledge for everyone. Like how you're going to cover accident avoidence.
Originally Posted by dkmura
What could possibly be the GOOD NEWS you might ask? Well, I remain committed to seeing this Friday's track day happen and I STILL plan to show up bright and early at PMI. Even if I can't drive, I'd be willing to set up the driver's meeting, monitor/instruct with the groups and even signal the end of the sessions. If we have enough interest (or rain), I may get the threshold braking, accident avoidence and other driver exercises ready. I can even ride along with other drivers and offer feedback (have helmet, will travel). In summary, I hope my idiot mistake won't result in any more defections from Friday's event.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Bottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave: Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad that you and the other driver are okay. That's what's important. That is awesome that you'll still be at the track Friday offering your experience and knowledge.

Joel:Sorry to hear about your illness, hope you're feeling better on Friday.

Robert: Get your a$$ back to Colorado so we can get some more Z's at these track events
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottom
Robert: Get your a$$ back to Colorado so we can get some more Z's at these track events
Soon my brother... Soon.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:44 AM
jgray

Wow David, I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate news. As David (Bottom) pointed out, at least you and the other driver are ok.

You are a truly dedicated and fortuitous person to still be talking about this Friday’s event. I doubt anyone will take issue if you change your mind between now and then.

Joel
Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Hyper-Z

Wow, that is bad news David!!! Thankfully you and the other driver are alright, and your cars did their jobs of absorbing the crash! I hope it isn't as bad as when my car got hit earlier this year, I got plowed into by a pickup truck, but I was no where near my car when it happened as I was parked on the street down town. 2.5 months and $9500.00 later, it was fixed, and better than ever.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Damn David... Sorry to hear about your car. Glad to here everyone was ok though and you're holding your head high. Know how long the Z will be out of service? Anyhow... Its awesome you are still willing to drive to PMI and offer you knowledge for everyone. Like how you're going to cover accident avoidence.
Looks like the Z will be in the shop for at least the next two weeks. Thanks for the props, but it goes to show that there's no way to prevent misjudgement when you're in a hurry and turn off the little organ between your ears!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Hyper-Z

I'm asking around to see if I can get a few more people to show up. Losing the two of you(potentially) puts us at 7 full day drivers. If I can get 2 more drivers the cost won't be that bad, if I can get 3 it'll be back to normal 100/person. If anyone who canceled can try to make it afterall it would be greatly appreciated.

-Barry

I found 3 interested parties on S2kca.com! now we are back in the green!!!

Last edited by Hyper-Z; 09-07-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Just got back from the PMI track day and we ended up with 15 cars. Four S2000, two 350Zs, Cobra Mustangs and WRXs and one 240SX-T (s13), Lexus IS300, Eagle Talon, Acura Integra and a Subaru Forester (!). We followed the agenda pretty much as published in the morning and had groups for both experienced drivers and newbies. Both Jgray and Bottom did outstanding work in serving as instructors on the follow-the-leader laps. We kept alternating groups and everything worked well until a little before 11 a.m. when a light shower began.

Everyone managed to come in and we all sat down for an early lunch while we waited for the weather to settle down. I suggested that this might be a good time to set up the driving exercises, but the majority of the group wanted to continue driving at a reduced rate on the track. We talked about two critical items before going out: the concrete dragstrip launch pads on the front straight get extremely slippery in the wet. You must tiptoe across them and get your car straight before spueezing on the power. Also, if you spin, get two feet in (engage clutch and brakes with both feet) immediately.

Unfortunately, this caught out one of our group (not any Nissans) and the car spun into the inner concrete wall on the front straight. Luckily no damage to the driver, but the car was pretty well pranged. We stopped for awhile, but the weather began to clear and everyone went hard at it until about three when the weather began closing in again.

Looked like everyone got in plenty of laps before heading home (some came from as far away as Ft. Collins). There were a few other 'offs', but nothing serious. While we had some success in getting a new generation of 'track rats' started, it has to be balanced against the reality of a serious (and expensive) accident during the day.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Bottom

It was a good time at the track. There was plenty of time and room on the track the entire day. It was really fun to run with all the other cars. I think that it worked out pretty well for all the guys who had track experience to get some laps in. It also worked well for the novice group that wasn’t a novice group at the end of the day. The conditions were good. I’ve always wondered what it was like to run around the track in the rain and now I know. I got a pretty good drifting show right in front of me by a Mustang and the Talon. It was actually sweet to see the two black cars slide right after each other, in pretty much the same spot, and easily regain control like that’s what they meant to do. The open track day was a lot more organized and safe that my original assumption. This was primarily due to Dave, but everyone in the group followed the rules that were set up and communicated well. Everyone was there to have a safe fun time.

It was really a bummer when the driver that Dave was posting about hit the wall. I have a few pictures, but I do not want to post them or get into details while the driver is trying to figure out what he’ll do with his car. Pretty much the general comment was, “Oh, that sucks”. This was the first event that I've been to where something like that has happened, I guess that those are the risks that go along with it. Best of luck to the driver and keep us posted on what’s going on with the car or if you need any help. It was a preety bad site leaving PMI and seeing the damaged car sitting outside the entrance like it was just taken for a joy ride and left for dead.

It was interesting showing the group that Dave assigned to me around the track. I was happy to help. I definitely wouldn’t say that I know what the best lines were, had the smoothest driving style, etc, but it was good to share the tips that were given to me in the past, as well as a few pointers that I found helpful when I first started driving. Of course I also leaned a lot that day from everyone else’s tips and being a passenger in the Talon, the S13, and one of the S2Ks.

It was a great time, it was good to see Joel and Dave from our group, but we really need more 350z’s out there. Maybe next time.

David

BTW, Colorado Spring’s I-25 Traffic sucks
Old 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM
bamyi

Sorry David K. about your accident but don't beat yourself for it. Its not like you were driving recklessly like running a red light. Also, that was very kind of you to still attend the event and offer your teachings.

Glad everyone had fun. I was not a happy camper at work yesterday.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
jgray

It was good to meet up with David (Dkmura) and David (Bottom) again, and it wasn’t a bad turn-out considering we were the only people from this board who attended. The incident after the rain was unfortunate but likely to happen. In hind-sight, we probably should have waited for the track to dry a bit more. I’ve got some uneven wear on my rear tires and as a result was sliding around quite a bit. Honestly, I was very uncomfortable driving those few laps after the rain and was thinking I should pit-in just moments before the shunt. I’d say with confidence that I could have driven harder and faster in those conditions piloting my Ford Ranger!

Kudos to the other drivers that opted to take time with the pseudo-instructors. I especially enjoyed spending time with Dale (Blue Cobra), who was eager to gain whatever knowledge he could at his first track event. I can still picture his face in the pits after his first few hot laps. “That was cool,” he said with a mile-long grin. I’ll never forget having that same moment myself just a few short years ago.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to PMI and I’m amazed that I’m still trying to find the line - or rather, the best line for my driving style. The new Brembos added the ultimate confidence under braking and I don’t regret the purchase one bit (great bite, no fade). Now I just need some better rubber – these splashy Michelin Pilots are worthless!

Joel

Originally Posted by Bottom
BTW, Colorado Spring’s I-25 Traffic sucks
Yeah no kidding, we're finally widening I-25 with our local tax dollars since all the gas tax revenues went to Denver! Thank me next time you think of T-Rex - I helped pay for that. When COSMIX is completed, you can thank me for paying that bill too!

Last edited by jgray; 09-10-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bamyi
Glad everyone had fun. I was not a happy camper at work yesterday.
I bet you weren't happy at work! You've been trying to make one of these track events for some time and have been aced out at every opportunity. Does someone have it out for you or what?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Bottom

Here are a few pics of the day, sans the hurt car and it's driver.
David
Attached Thumbnails PMI Open day.-p9080243.jpg   PMI Open day.-p9080244.jpg   PMI Open day.-p9080250.jpg   PMI Open day.-p9080251.jpg  

Last edited by Bottom; 09-11-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Bottom

2 more
Attached Thumbnails PMI Open day.-p9080253.jpg   PMI Open day.-p9080252.jpg   PMI Open day.-p9080242.jpg  

Last edited by Bottom; 09-11-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
youngZ33

hey guys i know the bad weather is about to hit. but i finally got myself a job and other things to give me funding

so im highly interested in going with u guys !

-Dan
Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 AM
bamyi

Originally Posted by dkmura
I bet you weren't happy at work! You've been trying to make one of these track events for some time and have been aced out at every opportunity. Does someone have it out for you or what?
Yeah, I was sooo excited about this one to! I'm the new guy in the department so when there are open volunteer off-duty gigs and no one signs up, I'm forced-volunteer into it. Unfortunately, it somehows ends up on these events.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Sounds like we need to get an "open volunteer off duty gig" for the 350Z group going and make sure you sign up quick. LOL

Thanks for the pics, David. Looking at them makes me wonder if this is the future of our track days. Despite repeated attempts, we don't seem to attract enough 350Zs to hold our own track days. Maybe having mixed groups is the only way to go in the future.