South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

No more Vortech.... TT kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by myspivey
Dirty
LOL ohhhh how right you are bud! My car is wayyy dirty, even by my standards from driving it after having it sit in the garage for far too long on the dirty streets. The IC has changed color completely from being somewhat obvious if you know what to look for to being the same color as the car! My first thing I do once the weather is mild and 45 degrees if washing the sucker

Thanks for the sleeper comment, that's what I'm going for, never been a big person on decking out the exterior of an import, I'll just put the money into the engine and drivetrain and eventually beefier tires/suspension once it's required
Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 AM
rjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun thread... each there own as they say.

I suppose I would be all about boost if I planned to be living here for the long run. But I'll be at sea level within a year, if not sooner... I'm confident my car will hang well enough for what I need. I'm mainly about tracking it anyway, and I’d rather dump money into brakes and cams, and the whole n/a route. Just a personal pref thing, no offense to anyone that has a different plan for their car.

I'll just add one more thought - once my car is done, it is only going to cost me maybe 5k to do what I am looking at. It will be very quick, maybe not the quickest, but there is always 'bigger faster stronger' out there, eventually you will cross its path. And besides, I can always spend another grand on a nitrous setup, and then when I am in that rare situation where I am starting to lose to a f/i car, it will be infinitely amusing to flip a little switch and torch the **** out of him.

All this will cost me the same or less than most F/I setups that are worth doing. Minus the headaches and worry that are big concerns for a daily driver.

I also have concerns about keeping the car close to street legal, if not totally street legal; I know there are ways to work around that, but why hassle with it? Plus, there is a reason for all this CARB stuff, maybe I'm the only one that worries about the environment, but I'm not too big on adding to the problem if I can help it. I’m a bit of tree hugger on that point I suppose, probably not fashionable among this crowd, but it’s the truth, heavy mod’s aren’t helping the big picture.

Anyway, just my approach, like I said, no offense to anyone that has a different plan, different strokes for different folks, that's all.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
HiZ38Ds

Originally Posted by rjg
All this will cost me the same or less than most F/I setups that are worth doing. Minus the headaches and worry that are big concerns for a daily driver.

I also have concerns about keeping the car close to street legal, if not totally street legal; I know there are ways to work around that, but why hassle with it? Plus, there is a reason for all this CARB stuff, maybe I'm the only one that worries about the environment, but I'm not too big on adding to the problem if I can help it. I’m a bit of tree hugger on that point I suppose, probably not fashionable among this crowd, but it’s the truth, heavy mod’s aren’t helping the big picture.

Anyway, just my approach, like I said, no offense to anyone that has a different plan, different strokes for different folks, that's all.
You just don't know Kevin that well
Old 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
youngZ33

Originally Posted by rjg
Fun thread... each there own as they say.

I suppose I would be all about boost if I planned to be living here for the long run. But I'll be at sea level within a year, if not sooner... I'm confident my car will hang well enough for what I need. I'm mainly about tracking it anyway, and I’d rather dump money into brakes and cams, and the whole n/a route. Just a personal pref thing, no offense to anyone that has a different plan for their car.

I'll just add one more thought - once my car is done, it is only going to cost me maybe 5k to do what I am looking at. It will be very quick, maybe not the quickest, but there is always 'bigger faster stronger' out there, eventually you will cross its path. And besides, I can always spend another grand on a nitrous setup, and then when I am in that rare situation where I am starting to lose to a f/i car, it will be infinitely amusing to flip a little switch and torch the **** out of him.

im not sure if this has anything to do with what your intentions were. but you said you track your car a lot... meaning are you saying the NA Z is better for the track...??

because even in those video battles by the japanese. Tsuchiya even says our Z cars are much better with FI and should have came factory with them.

not trying to bash or anything... but i just dont get it
Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
rjg

No, definately not saying na is better for tracking.

BUT, it takes more than pure HP to be a good driver on the track. Once you start to track your car you realize that the least of your worries with the Z is the engine/power. For me, I know I will be MUCH faster with better brakes and some suspension work.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg
No, definately not saying na is better for tracking.

BUT, it takes more than pure HP to be a good driver on the track. Once you start to track your car you realize that the least of your worries with the Z is the engine/power. For me, I know I will be MUCH faster with better brakes and some suspension work.
Think you hit the nail on the head there. I had a faster car at La Junta and, while Gary & David are much better drivers, They had the brakes, wheels/tires and suspention I didn't have and laying faster lap times than me. Just cuase you have 400hp doesn't mean you are the fastest out on the track. I wish I could've been at PMI over Thanksgiving weekend to see the difference between Kevin's S/C Z and David's N/A Z. I heard Kevin was killing everyone down the backstrech but had to brake sooner for the turns where people were catching him. No disrespect to you or your car Kevin but just useing you as an example to youngZ33.

Youngz33, Once you attend a HPDE Track day or Auto-x you'll be able to understand this more.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Juztin

personally I could care less for the track or strip, I'm just looking foward to building a fast car, FI helps me accomplish that
Old 01-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin
personally I could care less for the track or strip, I'm just looking foward to building a fast car, FI helps me accomplish that
And you are reaching your goals. I think thats what Rick is trying to explain to Sean. Rick's goals are different than Sean's.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
rjg

Yup, each their own. That's about as clear as I can put it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
hr2burn

ummmmkay....But what about the "wanting a reliable car" flipping the switch to spray some nitrous. I'm not saying I think nitrous is BAD for a car, but it maybe worse that a well done FI car. And lets say you have 245 rwhp and you have a 100 shot so now your around 345 and i dunno 400 tq, that still doesn't put you over a well done FI. Also, Also I don't see nitrous having a place on a track car.
Final thought...What really got me is Kevin ALREADY was FI, this was his thread about UPGRADING. Doesn't really seem to be the time or place to even have a discussion of what's better or even people personal opinion of pro's and con's SOOOOOOO
Congrats Kevin, good choice and can't wait to start wrenchin' and taking a change of underwear drive in her!
J-man OUT
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
kevinapex

Thanks Sean! Your a good friend man.
Kevin
Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
HiZ38Ds

Originally Posted by rjg
Plus, there is a reason for all this CARB stuff, maybe I'm the only one that worries about the environment, but I'm not too big on adding to the problem if I can help it. I’m a bit of tree hugger on that point I suppose, probably not fashionable among this crowd, but it’s the truth, heavy mod’s aren’t helping the big picture.

Kevin has not been keeping up with this thread he's outback burning a pile of tires and styrofoam.

ps- sean did you get your airconditioner recharged after kev took the line off we still can't get that funny smell out of the garage?

Gotta go club a seal
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
hr2burn

Man those fumes made me see pink elephants! I hit a bald eagle and a white wolf on the drive home. I don't know who you are noobie (hiz38ds) but you seem a stand up fellow!
Cheers chaps!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
HiZ38Ds

Originally Posted by hr2burn
Man those fumes made me see pink elephants! I hit a bald eagle and a white wolf on the drive home. I don't know who you are noobie (hiz38ds) but you seem a stand up fellow!
Cheers chaps!

with a name like mine why would you say fellow?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:26 PM
hr2burn

(Pretending I don't know who you are, hence the fellow!) Am I a vegetarian if I eat meat once in awhile? If I REALLY was concerned w/ the environment wouldn't I drive something that got better that 20 mpg? That means I just kinda like to say I am kind of concerned....
I'm done here..for real!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
DevildogCO1

Lets lighten the mood. Sean and Kevin, when you guys get that jet on wheels up and running again, may I suggest a road trip out here to Quantico.........
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Juztin

I think some friendly races are in order
Old 01-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ 1+ Yea!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Mudd

Originally Posted by HiZ38Ds
Kevin has not been keeping up with this thread he's outback burning a pile of tires and styrofoam.

ps- sean did you get your airconditioner recharged after kev took the line off we still can't get that funny smell out of the garage?

Gotta go club a seal
Now this **** is funny!!!!!

Mudd
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
rjg

Originally Posted by HiZ38Ds

Gotta go club a seal

Way too funny.

Quick Reply: No more Vortech.... TT kit