Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Z-Car Club track day this weekend - anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z-Car Club track day this weekend - anyone going?

The ZCCC is having their annual early-summer track day at the State Patrol track on Table Mountain in Golden this Saturday from 11:45 am - 6 pm, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go and run off the last of my current r-compounds and front brake pads. Is anyone else planning on going?

The cost is $45 for members, and $55 for non-members. The track itself isn't really a racetrack, and thus doesn't present quite the same experience as Pueblo, but the location and the views are fantastic.

Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll be going or not, but wanted to see if there was anyone else interested in coming out for a local (to Denver), low-key track day.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
myspivey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might go, any details on what they are planning on doing? Can we run it hard and have some fun? Id be intrested in throwing down if i can get my teins on before the race to see how the coilovers do in a race enviroment. Shoot over some details and maybe we can meet up and head that way.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
GaryM05

Details from the Z-Car Club are pretty slim, but can be found in their current newsletter at:

http://www.zccc.org/odocurr.htm

Basically, a typical Z-club track day starts with a quick tech inspection (unless you've pre-teched at one of the sessions that are documented in their newsletter linked above). You'll sign up for one of four run groups, based on experience/speed (beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert), and get 4 20-minute sessions during the day (if I remember correctly). However, this event will be a bit different, as they're having to start a bit later in the day than usual, so plan on maybe fewer track sessions, or fewer groups. Also, they're doing some sort of performance driving clinic at the end of the day, which they've never done before, and details on that are a bit sketchy.

All drivers work between 2 and 3 corner-working shifts during the day. Some don't like having to do this, but I've always thought that it's a great way to get a closer look at the corners and the way that different drivers take them at speed.

Passing is done only in designated passing zones, and then only with a point-by. This is done for safety, but it's always been the most disappointing aspect of these events to me, as lots of people just don't watch their mirrors (ask Mudd about the Elise driver that he and I tailed for SEVERAL laps at Second Creek with no point-by...infuriating, to say the least). You can run as hard as you want (lots of people will drive beyond their abilities at these events), but it's generally not a good idea to tailgate, and it's a very bad idea to pass in a non-passing zone, or without a point-by.

A good place to meet up for this event, for anyone interested, would be the Target lot at Colorado Mills, as the track is only about 5 minutes from there.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:02 PM
myspivey

Sounds kind of like an expensive let down... I might have to think about that one.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by myspivey
Sounds kind of like an expensive let down... I might have to think about that one.
LOL - that's why I'm curious if anyone else is going; I'm not sure if I'm going myself just yet.

The most enjoyable part is hanging out with our local Z group in between sessions, but if nobody from our group is going, then it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Last edited by GaryM05; 06-11-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM
myspivey

Ya, i guess if a couple other people want to go id like to hang out with the MHZ group, so anyone else?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Mudd

I should be able to go, although I do have other plans. I to would only go if we can get 4-5 or hopefully way more out for this event. I do like that it's so close.

I'm not sure how many sessions I would run considering I don't have an oil cooler and am probably going to want one if I want to keep doing track days. I think it's supposed to be way hot Saturday which will make me really want one.

Someone hurry up and post if they wwant to come or not so I can make my decision quicker.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
myspivey

Ok, assuming we have 5 or so ill go.

1. MySpivey
Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 AM
Mudd

1. MySpivey
2. Mudd
Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Maybe, have to check with the wife on the plans. But it's kind of a drive from the Springs, for what looks like a couple of short track sessions. The hangout time might be good, though, depending on who's there, and I really do need to try out my new Stoptechs...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,300 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm not planning on going because I can't get my Z properly prepped for the weekend. The CHP training track is fun and relatively easy to learn with only three turns and a bustop chicane to negotiate. I did want to mention that each of the turns takes 'slow hands' and a late apex to carry maximum speed (and avoid running out of road on the exit).

The other precaution to mention is the undulating front straight. If you're carrying 105+ MPH as the 350Z is capable of, the car gets light going over these 'wop-t-dos' and I'd ease off the power to avoid spinning the wheels upon touchdown.

I also noticed that my Z had a slight hiccup after running last years' ZCCC event. The rattling was traced down to the rear tranny mount- the rubber insulator was split and allowing the tranny to rock up and down. While that little problem got repaired, I wondered if it was the constant up-and-down motion of the CHP track that caused it, or just "normal" wear and tear from multiple track days and events that my Redline coupe has seen over the years.

Anyway, I hope everyone who goes has a great time and posts some pics when you get back!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
myspivey

Ya, if we go ill bring the chairs and a sunshade tent to hangout under for the MHZ crowd to relax. David would be nice to have ya out man, even if you cant get the car ready in time. Not sure how many of us would be going all out on prepin the car for what sounds like a more minimal course but still would be good to have the whole group together!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
GaryM05

1. MySpivey
2. Mudd
3. Gary
Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

So, if I do go, anyone going to have a jack and some tools to change out my Axxis Deluxe (non-squeaky street pads) for PF-01 (race pads)?

I guess what I am asking is what kind of facilities are there? I can always bring my own jack and tools, but it is such a PITA.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
myspivey

I can throw my jack in my car if you dont want to haul yours all the way up to Denver.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Bottom

Hey Guys, I won’t be able to make this event because I’ll be out of town that weekend. I would have liked to attend. Everyone have a good time.

As for track time at the CSP track, I’ve always felt that I got plenty of time. It’s set up well and they keep things moving. For the 20 minute sessions, I’m usually at the point where I’m ready to pull in anyways. There are times where you feel that you’re sitting around or waiting, but nothing too bad. Towards the end of the day a lot of people leave for the day so there’s plenty of open space and they start combining groups to get more groups on the track.

The “track” is really nice. It’s definitely not a 2nd Creek or PMI, but it does have its qualities. These events also have a good variety of cars that show up. And for the most part everyone is pretty cool. It’s also not too expensive, far away, or extremely hard on the car. In general, it’s a good time to be had by all.

Oh, I saw Craig (Z No Top) at the car show this weekend. He said that he won’t be able to make it.

David
Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,300 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
So, if I do go, anyone going to have a jack and some tools to change out my Axxis Deluxe (non-squeaky street pads) for PF-01 (race pads)?

I guess what I am asking is what kind of facilities are there? I can always bring my own jack and tools, but it is such a PITA.
Dave- the CHP track has a paved paddock, but that's about it. No hot pit lane and not much shade. There was a couple of porta-potties, but that's about it for "facilities". Bring your lunch!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Huh, that kind of sucks. Well, still have to see what the wife says.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
ohw

Guys, for the ones who tracks their Z's, this sounds like a great (and cheap) opportunity to do tuning on suspension and such. I was thinking to come out and hang out, but the date sux, will be north again. Will come back just in time for the month end drive with the gang. Meet up with you guys then. Have fun.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT

I can bring my jack, stands, and other necessary tools if you want to change the pads at the track (I typically bring all that stuff to the track anyway), or you can stop by my house before the event and we can change them in the garage, since I live pretty close to the track. We could even make a quick morning tech session out of it if anyone else wants to see what the Stoptech pad change procedure is like.

The only problem with changing pads the day of the event would be not having a chance to do a full bedding/overnight cool-down cycle on the pads, and I know that those PFC's require a pretty intense bedding process.

Were you planning on changing out all 4 corners to race pads, or just the fronts?

Quick Reply: Z-Car Club track day this weekend - anyone going?