Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Taking a long road trip, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM
rosscarlson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a long road trip, thoughts?

So, in a few weeks I'm taking a roughly 4000 mile road trip in my new 07 Z. She's got 2100 miles as of right now.

I guess my questions are:
- Am I nuts for taking my Z this far? I'm going from Denver to Atlanta and back (and lots of driving while in Atlanta)
- Anything I should do or check before I go? I assume no since she's almost brand new still. Should I go ahead and change my oil?
- What to do when I get back? I'm guessing I'll get my first oil change, also know that I'm going to the track in October.

I'm taking my Z for a few reasons, namely it should be fun to drive her that far and I want to show her off to all my friends back in Atlanta (where I'm from). Also just got my CarPC installed so wanna get to play with it on a long trip.

Thanks,

Ross
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Amarao

I did the same with the G when I got it. Get an oil change before you go and have fun.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
ColoradoClark

I'd change the oil before you leave -- and then go with a synthetic oil change when you get back (around 6K miles on the car). there's a ton of different opinions on synthethic oil and when you should start using it, so your mileage (and engine life may vary!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM
rosscarlson

Yeah, that's exactly what I decided, but I'm going to go ahead and do synthetic now, I really want to start using it anyway and don't mind the extra expense at all.

Thanks guys...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Darrel

Why is it people are so worried about taking their car, especially a new car on long road trips?

I have taken my 25 yr old car on at least 2 road trips of at least 4200 miles round trip each. And another couple of at least 2500 miles.

3 yrs ago I took my '73 to the z convention in '04 at long beach. And participated in the track day too. Try that without a/c, cruise and a radio.

Go for it, just keep the doors locked if you need to catch a few winks at the pickle parks along the way.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I1DER

Default Road Trip

I was on a 2 week road trip when I hit 250,000 miles in my Pathfinder. You are worrying too much.

Pack using stuff sacks and gym type bags, get a Rubbermaid 12 can "slim" cooler that will fit in front of the strut(Ace Hardware on line), pack some tools in the hollow of and around the spare(wrap in rags/towels), and take an extra can of oil if you switch to synthetic(it's not available everywhere).

There also is a seat-back carrier for the passenger side made for the Z that holds a bunch of stuff. You can get one from the Nissan Dealers.

If your cell phone plan doesn't cover all the states you could be calling from, switch plans to do so before leaving. You can always switch back when you return and it will save you bookoo bucks in roaming and long distance charges.

I've done long trips with two of us and with compact camping gear. No problem as the soft sided sacks/bags will squish in the contoured spaces and under the strut. Get on the road early before traffic and you'll be able to pace out your stops and have more options where you'll spend the night. Enjoy! It will be a trip you won't ever forget.

Last edited by I1DER; 08-08-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM
ohw

Bring a radar detector, chances are, you will be driving faster and faster as the miles wear on. The Z is a great car for these trips. The detector may just pay for itself over the trip.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,310 Likes on 909 Posts

With so many states going to laser detectors, just remember that even the mighty V1 isn't going to save you. Single engine aircraft overhead may mean you are being paced and again, a radar detector isn't going to save you either. Drive 5-8 MPH over and just enjoy some piece of mind!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 PM
rosscarlson

I forgot to mention that I do have the new top of the line Passport 9500 with built in GPS. I still get that it's no where near fool proof but it does add some protection.

I'm guessing I'll set the cruise 9 miles over the speed limit, but if I see an open stretch I may gun it here and there ;-)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
funkymonkey1111

Originally Posted by dkmura
With so many states going to laser detectors, just remember that even the mighty V1 isn't going to save you. Single engine aircraft overhead may mean you are being paced and again, a radar detector isn't going to save you either. Drive 5-8 MPH over and just enjoy some piece of mind!
that's one advantage of the roadster--you sure can see those timing planes from a long way off!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
bamyi

I guess I'm chiming in a little too late, he's probably already in Atlanta. I've taken my Z to CA and IL and I love it.

I agree with David. When I do long road trips I go about 10 over to really enjoy the music and the landscape....unless you're driving to IL from Denver. I think there's only one tree along the way!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:09 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big +2 on radar detectors. Laser is king now. Even small towns have been replacing their radar gear for laser in a big way. Highway patrol is almost uniformly laser-equipped now (too much ticket revenue to give up with outdated equipment). And if that beam is aimed at you, nothing with protect you. Enjoy the drive and keep your right foot light!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 PM
chriskabobbers

+1 on changing oil, if by the time you come back with 6100 miles, you'll be over the 5k mile oil change. have fun nonetheless and take care of the car. watch out for big rigs.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

let's see

radar detector
music
BLUE TAPE
$30 in small bills (tolls and stuff)
more BLUE TAPE

also, get an oil change and don't drive too fast