Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

NASA at Pueblo, March 15/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:23 AM
jgray

Actually, not to contradict you Dave, but I think non NASA members have to pay 5 or 10 dollars to get in. Also, if you would like to do a ride-along, it must be within at least HPDE 3 or 4; drivers must have group leaders permission; and passengers must sign another waiver and pay 5 dollars for a second (usually pink) wristband.

Joel
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:27 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

I had heard about the 5 dollar fee, but as I undertand it, that is a Pueblo thing, and they don't enforce it. In other words, if you track down Earlene and force $5 into her hand, she'll take it, but otherwise, not.

And yes, you are right about group leaders permission, but the yes is a given, unless you have driven like an idiot earlier in the day.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:33 AM
jgray

I've had family come down to PMI later in the day on more than one occasion - they've all gotten charged at the gate. It's just an FYI based on what my family has told me.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:34 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Huh, well, I guess I'm wrong. Oh well.

You're going to be there, right? Planning on doing your 4 check ride?
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:43 AM
jgray

Yes, I'll be there all weekend. If the let me do my check ride that would be great. I've tried to do that a few times but it never worked out with their schedule.
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:45 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Chuck knows I am doing my check ride, and I let him know that someone else might be interested as well. They've got some Comp School things going on on Saturday, so hopefully they can fit us in, but if not, then Sunday.

Speaking of Comp School, Gary, are you going to be in Comp School with your 944?
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:26 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Chuck knows I am doing my check ride, and I let him know that someone else might be interested as well. They've got some Comp School things going on on Saturday, so hopefully they can fit us in, but if not, then Sunday.

Speaking of Comp School, Gary, are you going to be in Comp School with your 944?
Unfortunately my 944 won't be race-ready in time for this event (we've been focusing on getting my Snyder Motorsports team-mate's 944 ready for the comp school so that he can be sure to attend and get his license, since I got my license last year and thus don't have to worry if I miss the first event/comp school).

I'll still be at the event to help out with 944 stuff and to hang out with the Z/G crew, but at this point it doesn't look like I'll be driving anything (although I might bring my helmet and see about coming out as a passenger for a few laps).

Also, on the topic of passengers in TT, I actually set my fastest time at La Junta last summer during the session that Joel rode with me. With all of the right-hand turns at that track, I think it might have actually helped the car's handling to have some offset weight on the passenger's side of the car to control the weight transfer towards the driver's side in all of those right turns. I wouldn't necessarily expect the same effect at Pueblo, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:11 PM
jgray

Nice! My dead weight was helpful in some small way. How did I not know this Gary?
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:24 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by jgray
Nice! My dead weight was helpful in some small way. How did I not know this Gary?
At the time, I didn't know that that would turn out to be my fastest session.

In retrospect, it was the final TT result of that weekend that convinced my good friend (and close TTC competitor) Cullen that it wasn't worth it to try to beat my Z with his WRX (even though he was only a few tenths off at La Junta, and beat me on one of the days in March at Pueblo). As a result, he focused his efforts for the rest of the year on building up his 944 racecar, and didn't compete in any more TT events.

If it hadn't been for that, the TTC championship would have been MUCH closer, and I might not have been able to win it. So, I guess I owe you a drink or something for making such a valuable contribution to the season!

That's how close these things can be sometimes, that a single ride-along in a particular session one weekend can swing the results of an entire season championship.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:26 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Huh, thats kind of funny, and interesting, as well.

Anyways, you're always welcome to ride along with me, and it will be good to see you there. What about your wife? Jenn will be there, not driving, of course, but she'll be there to help keep me company.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:34 PM
jgray

In the spirit of Stephen Colbert..

I MADE Gary Miller!
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:24 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Huh, thats kind of funny, and interesting, as well.

Anyways, you're always welcome to ride along with me, and it will be good to see you there. What about your wife? Jenn will be there, not driving, of course, but she'll be there to help keep me company.
Cool - I'll take you up on that ride offer at some point during the weekend, as long as it doesn't interfere with your plans to move up to group 4.

Joanne will be there (probably helping with registration or timing & scoring), and I know she'll enjoy seeing you guys again (as will I).
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:25 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by jgray
In the spirit of Stephen Colbert..

I MADE Gary Miller!
LOL - maybe you can give me your autograph sometime!
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:51 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GaryM05
Cool - I'll take you up on that ride offer at some point during the weekend, as long as it doesn't interfere with your plans to move up to group 4.

Joanne will be there (probably helping with registration or timing & scoring), and I know she'll enjoy seeing you guys again (as will I).
Looks like we will have a good crowd, as David M mentioned he would be there as well.

Anyways, I'll be coming down Friday, as I have some new tires, and a couple of suspension things to break in, and Chuck promiused a check ride on Saturday (for Joel as well), so I'll get plenty of test laps in Friday, and other than the check ride on Saturday, I'll be free for passengers, including any of the Z crowd that wants to come down, even if they are not driving.

Of course, if I had you in the car for the check ride, apparently, the car would handle better... and maybe you could help me look out for all the instructors trying to play tag with me!

PS The ride offer goes for you, tsabrale, and funkymonkey as well It's a blast, and there will be plenty of extra helmets around. Just don't sweat too much in someone else's helmet!
Old 03-06-2008 | 12:07 PM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen
Premier Member

Cool, I will see if I can make it. As for helmets, I will bring my own. I prefer to sweat in my own helmet.

Yeah, I wanted to attend the event in HPDE1, but maybe the next close event. I will go ahead and sign up for NASA membership anyway, even if I won't be driving.
Old 03-06-2008 | 12:58 PM
ColoradoClark

As of this morning I am "officially" listed as the 2nd person on the wait list for HPDE 1/2 (although the NASA forums don't indicate this change, yet). It sounds like I have a halfway decent chance of being able to get into the event at this point.

I'm a total novice, but I'm very eager to get out on the track and learn more about driving my car.

If I don't make it in from the wait list, I may scoot down to Pueblo for part of a day anyway, to enjoy some of the action.

Sean
Old 03-06-2008 | 01:40 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Wow, I'm suprised HPDE 1/2 filled up. They usually have a lot of people, but closed out. Hmm, well good luck on getting in, and definitely come down if you don't because there might be last minute no-shows, and if worse comes to worst, you can hang out with the rest of the VQ35 crowd. Bring a helmet!!!
Old 03-06-2008 | 02:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Weather warning again: next week and weekend looks like a high probability of rain/snow. I'm planning on bringing down the crewcab dually and 24' enclosed trailer, so if it does storm, we'll have a Z party in the trailer. Not so good for the Z racecar though- it has no windows!
Old 03-06-2008 | 03:14 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Awesome! My little tent/shelter wasn't going to do much, but it was better than nothing. An enclosed trailer wins! I'll buy your lunch i9f we end up using it!
Old 03-07-2008 | 03:19 PM
ColoradoClark

The seven day forecast that I found for Pueblo looks pretty good -- mostly 50's and 60's next week!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=COZ086

Quick Reply: NASA at Pueblo, March 15/16