Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Colorado trackday: NASA at Pueblo 7/11 - 7/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Colorado trackday: NASA at Pueblo 7/11 - 7/12

The National Auto Sport Association is hosting a 2-day HPDE track event at Pueblo next weekend, and are in need of a few more HPDE drivers to make the weekend happen. Most of the original generation of Z/G owners on this site have already attended lots of these events in the past (whether with NASA or with the events that local hot-shoe Dkmura used to organize for us), but we’ve had lots of new people join the area recently who might not have had the chance to get on track yet and drive your Z like it was meant to be driven (or some of the old-timers who haven’t hit the trackday crackpipe in a while), and this is an excellent chance to do it.

For those unfamiliar with NASA, they have programs for everybody from a rookie driver who has NEVER been on a racetrack before, all the way up to experienced racers who have been doing this for decades. For newbies, NASA will put an experienced instructor in your passenger seat all weekend, guiding you through the basics of high-performance driving and taking you through a proven set of skills that will improve your driving skills and your general ability behind the wheel much more effectively than any go-fast mod will. This is all done in a safe environment with very specifically controlled passing rules (which open up at higher levels as you progress up the HPDE ladder system.)

I’ve been away from the local Z-car scene for a few months while I’ve been building my racecar (some pictures and a few more details at http://www.snymo.com), but I know that there have to be either some of the older guys still looking to get back on track (Will, Phu, Darrel, James, Daniel, etc), or some more recent additions to the local group who haven’t yet experienced the thrill of high-performance driving on a purpose-built road course, where you can push your car and yourself much further than you can on the street, and do it WITHOUT the fear of cops, minivans, granny-drivers, etc.

All you need is a car that can pass a basic safety inspection (no leaks, no bald tires, no convertible Z’s unfortunately, etc), an SA2000 or SA2005 helmet (can be had for roughly $250 online), and a NASA membership (around $60). Registration fees for the weekend are only $255 – for a little more than the price of a single high-performance tire you can learn skills that will give you much more enjoyment every time you get behind the wheel, and which might even one day save your life.

More details, including registration information, can be found at http://www.nasarockymountain.com. Don’t wait – sign up by this Sunday to help ensure that we have enough entries to make this weekend happen. If you wait until next time, you never know how long that wait might be.

Any questions, please post up here and I’ll be happy to answer them.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Ken7258

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 AM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Ken7258
I'll be there
Awesome - glad to hear it!

Now that Ken has stepped up - anybody else? You know you want to.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I wish I could join you guys...kind of a long drive, though
Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
jgray

Nice write up Gary. I'll be there as always!

Dave. It doesn't look like I'll make it to Miller for Nationals this year . Budgets are tight and I'm saving for a honeymoon! Sorry.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
I wish I could join you guys...kind of a long drive, though
LOL - it would be great to have you out for this event, but yeah, kind of a long trip!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
GaryM05

Originally Posted by jgray
Nice write up Gary. I'll be there as always!

Dave. It doesn't look like I'll make it to Miller for Nationals this year . Budgets are tight and I'm saving for a honeymoon! Sorry.
Wow Joel, sorry to hear you won't be making it out to Nationals, but it sounds like you might have something better to save the money for. Since you're saving for a honeymoon, does this mean it's official? If so, congratulations!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
jgray

Thanks Gary. It will be official later this month.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Yes, congratulations to both of you, although she doesn't know yet, I guess? Where are you going if you don't mind me asking?

Don't worry, I won't be at Nationals either. Too expensive.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
jgray

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Yes, congratulations to both of you, although she doesn't know yet, I guess? Where are you going if you don't mind me asking?

Don't worry, I won't be at Nationals either. Too expensive.
I'll PM you so we can keep this thread on topic.

Back to shaming all those Z owners out there that have a super powerful car that handles like a dream and will never get to experience all that thrill 'cause they won't go to the track! Such a shame.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations, Joel.

Hope you two had fun. I miss track days. I miss driving the Z. Unngghh.... hopefully next year the load will be lighter and I'll be able to catch you guys back out on the track.

Will