Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

The LaJunta, Colorado track day thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 AM
funkymonkey1111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are great pics. Hopefully, by the next track day I'll be past the break-in period and be able to join you guys.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:46 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another outstanding track day!

I have to say that turn 1 at LaJunta is my favorite turn from any of the 4 tracks that we've hit in the past year. For those that weren't able to attend, turn 1 is a right-hand climbing sweeper at the end of the front straight that usually saw a turn-in speed between 101 and 105. I've gone faster than that in the Z before but I've never actually FELT the speed more than I did in that turn...the fact that it was an uphill turn allowed the car to stick a lot better than it seemed like it should have, and the feeling of G's building up in 3 different directions from accelerating, turning, and climbing was a very cool experience.

I thought the handouts were great. Reading over them gives a solid understanding of the why's and how's of heel-toe, and the pictures make it easy to visual everything that's going on. Material like that is always helpful to read & review, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Sport Z article on heel-toe in the Z.

Another highlight for me was the slow-speed track tour with several stops to discuss various turns on foot. I found this to be extremely helpful for learning a new track and understanding the nuances of several of the turns. This is something that I hope we can continue at future track days.

Thanks for the great pics, Mike. I'm looking forward to checking out the video.

Thanks again to David for setting up another successful track day. Even with the left-rear wheel issues that were experienced, I think we all had a great time and I was glad that we were able to make it home safely (after successfully negotiating the homicidal traffic on I-25!)

Last edited by GaryM05; 02-24-2004 at 04:51 PM.