A pioneer passes and MMP announces closing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default A pioneer passes and MMP announces closing

Two notable events in the SW from this week in May. Autoweek announced the passing of Denise McCluggage, who lived in Santa Fe, NM. Denise was a racecar driver before female drivers were ever expected or integrated into motorsports. She was also a journalist who documented races from behind the wheel at places like Sebring and LeMans, where she competed against the leading drivers in the 40's 50's and 60's. I can personally attest to Denise being a skilled driver into her 80's, when I drove with her at the introduction of the R35 back in 2008. She lit that supercar up and said, "I may just have to get one of these!" after experiencing all that twin turbo, ATTESA AWD goodness. She was truly a racer ahead of her time and more of her extensive writing is available at:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...e-56-years-ago

Just a bit west of Santa Fe comes darker news out of Utah and one of the better road racing circuits in the country. Miller Motorsports Park (MMP) has announced it will cease operation in October after the 2015 season ends. A statement was released on the track's website: "The Larry H. Miller Group of Companies has elected not to renew its lease with Tooele County and will cease operation of Miller Motorsports Park at the end of the racing season on October 31, 2015. A full schedule of racing events, driving schools, public karting and group activities will be held this summer as planned. Gail Miller, owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, stated: “On behalf of my family, I would like to thank all of those who have supported the track over the years, both locally and worldwide, for their enthusiasm and use of the facility.”

MMP was known for being a world class road racing facility with four track configurations available for both pro and club racing. The actual track and all facilities will be transferred to Toelle County in October, so the ultimate fate of the track remains uncertain.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:42 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

That's amazing that you got to drive with Denise McCluggage.
Hopefully someone will buy the track from the county so it stays open.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bith8791
That's amazing that you got to drive with Denise McCluggage.
Hopefully someone will buy the track from the county so it stays open.
Sad to hear about Denise McCluggage. I did enjoy here writing on the car mags. RIP
Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Autoweek has been documenting Denise's career and beyond writing race reports, she was also the author of five books:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...st-should-read

As for Miller Motorsports Park (MMP), I sure hope another party comes in to operate the track. But the Miller group spent the better part of a decade trying to make a profit operating the track and were not successful. They tried a little bit of everything--pro racing, driving schools, corporate events, concerts--but could never get out of the red ink. It could be difficult trying to find a investor willing to take on MMP.