Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

CANYON RUN IN ORANGE,CA on 1/9/05

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Risk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Scafremon
Santiago for the most part is an access road for local residents.

It's a scenic drive that I enjoy taking when travelling from Orange to Aliso Viejo. I don't reccommend it as a 'run' for a large group of drivers, since I'm sure a few drivers won't be able to check their ego's at the start.

Lastly, I placed flowers there last year, in remembrance of a passenger in a BMW who died when a 'run' resulted in a crash on that road. That wasn't fun to do, and I'd prefer not do that again.

Sorry if I bummed anyone out, but I would just prefer this road not be used for group runs.
Sorry to hear about your friend. I actually have always been very in tune with this road being that I grew up in Tustin. It would be false to tell anybody that it is a "challenging" section of road which is why I think it is perfect for a leisurely cruise through some beautiful hills. I am truly sorry to hear about your buddy, but honestly, unless youre going 100mph through santiago, you wont lose control. Somehow, I think that the most likely place where that occured though would be about 2mi past the cooks corner turnoff in the downhill (trees overhanging) twisties. I tend to see a lot of scarred trees there. Im still up for it. Every run has its inherrent risk, just dont be stupid, and we will all have fun.

I know flowers for friends past is a sensitive subject....I dont mean in any way to offend, just wanted to express my veiw.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense taken Risk. I actually did not know the young man who died. Someone posted a link in our forum to the complete thread at a BMW forum, and something about the incident just really affected me. Part of it was that this person was a passenger in the car. The car flipped, he was trapped, he died in the flames, and many of the other participants in run left the scene.

The accident actually happened within a couple miles of Jamboree, at what we all would consider a very sedate part of the run. Some gravel probably caused a spin, and it got worse from there.

The canyon is a wonderful drive, especially where the trees overhang the road, and a parade of sports cars through the canyon is a beautiful site.

I just know that some people have trouble with the slow speeds of a parade.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I might be up for this - pending on the start time.

I usually drive the canyon once or twice a week as it is.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Janus

I haven't checked the stats lately, but when I was learning to drive, Santiago Canyon road had the highest accident rating per mile.

PCH beats it in total accidents on one road, but on a per average mile basis, Santiago Canyon road is the worst. I think its mainly because of the high traffic volume. But the toll road might of releived the congestion since.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
columbian frldy

ok so not that many people seem too excited about this idea. so if everyone checks out a few threads up i guess there is a meet this sunday in Irvine. we could all meet there then decide what to do pending on how many people show.. would anyone be up for Ortega Hwy? never been but i heard its pretty nice
Old 01-09-2005, 09:17 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wasn't it pouring today anyway??? Did you guys go?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it makes sense for there to be no posts SHO. If anyone went on a run today, they probably wouldnt be around to tell us about it now! Its pretty bad out there
Old 01-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Rudy

Do you guys want to try again this Sunday. I will post it on the G35driver board if you do. I would like to do the morning run maybe meet at 11:00 run from orange to mission viejo and do lunch at Boosters (sports bar)and catch the playoff game.

Rudy
Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Risk

Originally posted by remami
Do you guys want to try again this Sunday. I will post it on the G35driver board if you do. I would like to do the morning run maybe meet at 11:00 run from orange to mission viejo and do lunch at Boosters (sports bar)and catch the playoff game.

Rudy
See Jan 16th thread (below)
Old 01-11-2005, 06:10 PM
columbian frldy

if anyone wants to bring other cars that arent Z's its perfectly fine... im probly gonna bring couple sti's and an s4 and maybe some other people, so go recruit