Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Buttonwillow kills 350Zs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THX723
Time looks good Dog.

I feel the same way about wanting to see a 350Z/G35 class, which Speed Venture's more than happy to host. They just need a little more interest from fellow Z/G owners. There's no committment to attend all the track events ... just enough to make it worth while for them to keep tally of the points. As an alternative, perhaps we could start our little web-site for the scoring and ranking ... borrowing the official times from Speed Ventures.

As is, I think we may have just enough people to get it rolling. I believe once the others see the class in 'action' ... they are more likely to join!
Thanks. I thought my times weren't too bad for my 2nd time out ever
This configuration was definitely not easy. I am sure the Miata and s2k guys were in pure bliss.

Anyways, are you going to be at the Willow Springs Event on May 21-22 at Willow Springs? I am thinking of going there instead of Cali Speedway. I kind of want to give HPDE from NASA a spin. If so, you can give me some pointers
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
THX723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ... I will be at Buttonwillow May 6th with 4 other VQs. I'll probably take a small break after that then hit up California Speedway (ROVAL) and Buttonwillow again with Speed Ventures for the 2nd half of the year. I'm also planning on going to Infineon (formally Sears Point) some time in Nov/Dec time frame with another group and the wine tour/tasting of Nappa/Sonoma surroundings.

Willow Springs (the Big track) is a fine track. Most people enjoy it a lot. This is especially true for new comers like yourself, because there are only 9 turns to learn and remember. The turns and transitions are not particularly technical compare to say Buttonwillow. That is until you reach a certain speed level, in which case any turns and transitions become technical.

Like some people ... I simply find Big Willow a bit too dull for my taste. In the case of 'Streets' of Willow ... it's far too small and short. It felt a lot like an AutoX. The 'Infield Only' configuration of California Speedway also gets the thumb down from me. Like the above, it was too short and just seems to go around and around. I felt dizzy after just a few laps. The full 'ROVAL' configuation at California Speedway is a whole another beast! I love it! If it weren't for that fact it runs 2x the cost of Buttonwillow ... I'd be there more often. For that much money ... I'd rather spend it at Infineon or Laguna Seca.

Just my .02

Cheers,

Last edited by THX723; 04-25-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Thumbs up

As is, I think we may have just enough people to get it rolling. I believe once the others see the class in 'action' ... they are more likely to join!
I'm totally in. Member list, numbers, gallery, some vids, and i'm sure we'll get a lot more tracksters joining in. I have some media (pics, vids) to upload once you're ready!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:41 PM
THX723

Ok ... sounds good. I think I will make this my weekend project. I'll keep you all posted when I have a little something to show.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 AM
kamz

okay, here comes questions for the track ignorant:

1) I hear you need a helmet, where would I pick one up & how much
2) I have stock 17s, can I track with these?
3) Is there a training deal before you go for the first time?
4) Do you need racing seatbelts?

I'm sure there are other things I should know else well so please fill me in.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by kamz

helmets start around $300 i believe, i picked mine up at autobacs cause they were having a sale, dont know of other places, some porsche shops probably.
ive tracked on my 17s several times
yes there is training
no you dont need special seatbelts as long as yours work properly
Old 04-26-2005, 08:21 AM
kamz

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
helmets start around $300 i believe, i picked mine up at autobacs cause they were having a sale, dont know of other places, some porsche shops probably.
ive tracked on my 17s several times
yes there is training
no you dont need special seatbelts as long as yours work properly
Thanks. $300?! for a helmet? I don't suppose I can use my bicycle helmet...LOL.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

got a motorcycle helmet, or a friend with one? ive got a huge head and couldnt borrow .
Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 AM
kamz

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
got a motorcycle helmet, or a friend with one? ive got a huge head and couldnt borrow .
I have a pretty big noggin too so I doubt I could borrow anyone's helmet.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. $300?! for a helmet? I don't suppose I can use my bicycle helmet...LOL.
Racing isn't cheap, but why skimp on something that protects your head? I paid $600 for my sparco, which is bottom of the barrell for them.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
THX723

To further reinforce what the others have said ...

Yes helmet is must. If you like to do this more often ... an 'Automotive' helmet (SA rated) is recommended. Most club events will also accept 'Motorcycle' helmets (M rated). Sorry no bicycle helmets allowed!
Cost for helmets varies greatly. SA rated are usually much more expensive than M rated ones. You can however pick up some fairly inexpensive Open Face helmets for around $150. Bike helmets can also be had at around $99 if you shop around. But at the end of the day ... ya only got 1 head, so think about that.

17-inch wheels will work just fine at the track. In fact, I bought a set of base 17" Z wheels for track use only. Although they are not as light as I have liked ... I like the cost saving it provides when it come to replacing rubbers.

Nearly all clubs will have assigned instructors and some class room time in the morning that'll help you better get aquainted as a new comer. You decide when you are comfortable and do not need them anymore.

Racing harness is not required nor are they recommended if you do not have a roll cage. In the unlikely event of a roll over, as the roof collapse due to the absence of roll cage ... the chance of head and neck trauma is eminent as you are held in place by the harness like a stick in the ground. Not a good thing!

If you're interested ... there's a group of us heading out to Buttonwillow in a couple of weeks. Check HERE
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Sorry no bicycle helmets allowed!

i will be putting this to the test next time
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
THX723

... it was nice meeting you while your alive Brandon! Oh, can I get that present you still owe me before you pass on???
Old 04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Speaking of seat belts... any of you guys using the cglock? I've seen some ads for it here and there and it seems like it'd be a great mod to keep the seatbelt tight and secure while tracking. Maybe we can get a group buy going?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Clint, another track we might get a run at later in the year is Fernley up at Reno. They are finishing a new twisty addition to the track that will lengthen it from about 2.4 miles...........to 4.2 miles!!! I think July is the slated finish time. It is a long way out there, like heading up to Sonoma for Sears Point Infineon. But it could be a fun new experience and adventure for later in the year, or even next spring. But talk about the middle of nowhere! That and Spring Mountain-Pahrump in Nevada really take the prize. Makes Buttonwillow look like Times Square.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:02 PM
THX723

Yeah that sounds good. I'll probably save that for next year ... don't want to get too spoiled now! Us Californians sure are blessed w. all these great tracks ... I love it!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by zxsaint
Speaking of seat belts... any of you guys using the cglock? I've seen some ads for it here and there and it seems like it'd be a great mod to keep the seatbelt tight and secure while tracking. Maybe we can get a group buy going?
CG-Lock is a far cry from a real racing harness. I used CG-lock for a few track events before switching to a harness, and there are night and day differences between the two. You can get the same effects of the CG lock with a regular seat belt by locking the seat belt and inching your seat foward so the seat belt is tight. Don't waste your money on it. If you're going to spend the money, save up and put it towards a real harness.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:18 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally Posted by spf4000
CG-Lock is a far cry from a real racing harness. I used CG-lock for a few track events before switching to a harness, and there are night and day differences between the two. You can get the same effects of the CG lock with a regular seat belt by locking the seat belt and inching your seat foward so the seat belt is tight. Don't waste your money on it. If you're going to spend the money, save up and put it towards a real harness.
I have no plans to get a roll cage, which would be the primary deciding factor of wether or not i'd get a racing harness.

I'd wish anyone who's got a harness w/o a roll cage a lot of luck in the event of a rollover.