Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 PM
FLZ_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
Do you feel you wore out your Z at the clinic?
My Z is perfectly fine... just racked up a few more miles at the track and used a lot of gas. Maybe tires wore out a bit faster than I usually would b/c I slid thru the first corner everytime. Other than that, I don't see any noticeable wear/tear.
I really didn't notice any real wear on the car other than maybe lost a 1/32 of rubber, tank of mixed gas, some spacing gaps, maybe burn the clutch a few times, killed some bugs on my front bumper, got a bruised ego when I got passed by a Honda Accord (I don't think it was stock), helmet got a bit smelly, maybe my air filter needs a changing from all the dust clouds from people spinning out, I think I have a crack on my air intake pipe and engine cover, and I think that's about it.

I think most of my wear and tear came from trying to keep up with you on the freeway back home. I don't think caravans cruise at 90 to 100. I gave up before the mountains and cruised it at 75. Don't have SHO be the leader of the caravan.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:48 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
got a bruised ego when I got passed by a Honda Accord (I don't think it was stock),
Yeah dude... that Accord was a sleeper. It was hella fast!!!

I think most of my wear and tear came from trying to keep up with you on the freeway back home. I don't think caravans cruise at 90 to 100. I gave up before the mountains and cruised it at 75. Don't have SHO be the leader of the caravan.
hmm... I don think I was going that fast but I noticed that we lost you guys somewhere.... bwahahaha...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:18 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by iris
+1 to the addiction. I've gone with BMW groups (b/c I have a friend who's an instructor) and they got me started on track stickers. I just have 2, Willow Springs and Cal Speedway. I think I'm going this weekend to Buttonwillow (still 50-50) with them. Normally I wouldn't b/c I just did one last month so I don't have a great urge, BUT I want my 3rd sticker. Argghhh...

FYI Wired 24/7, I just called Motel 6 and it's $34 a night with the BMW group discount. My BMW friend told me the Super 8 is better; and "Willow Inn & Suites is ok, but you have to get a room away from the freeway. The rooms in the back are about 20 yards from the slow lane, and the trucks going by can make you a little crazy around 3 a.m." If I do it in December I'll stay with you, I don't feel like getting up at 4 am to do a 120 mile drive before I hit the track at 7-8 am.
Hey Iris,

I just hit Willow Springs a couple of weeks ago for the first time with TracQuest. How did you like that track? It was a very quick track--just as fast as Thunderhill if not a bit faster. I drove both my Z and my friend's Elise, and absolutely fell in love with the Elise! Our Z's feel like tanks compared to that car! The one problem I had with my Z was the brakes. Even though I have the Brembo set up with Nismo pads, the pads felt like putty after just a couple of laps. How did your brakes hold up on that track?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think caravans cruise at 90 to 100. I gave up before the mountains and cruised it at 75. Don't have SHO be the leader of the caravan.
Damn! I probably wouldn't follow you guys either at 90, if I get a ticket before age 25 my insurance is going to suck for life... luckily I've avoided getting any MV's in the 7 years I've been driving. So in 2 years I'm going to get a huge break in insurance if I can keep up my good record.

I drive like a grandma on city streets and just go with the flow on freeways.

In any case, that's why I want to learn how to drive on the track... screw risking getting caught on city streets.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 AM
fahrenheit350

I remembered the days when caravans rode around 70-80... 90-100... must be still excited from the track
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Sr. Panza

+1 SHO, there's no denying you drive like a madman. The only thought that goes through my head when i'm caravaning with SHO is, "I hope i'm not the only one who gets a ticket."
Old 09-15-2005, 09:25 AM
iris

Originally Posted by spf4000
Hey Iris,

I just hit Willow Springs a couple of weeks ago for the first time with TracQuest. How did you like that track? It was a very quick track--just as fast as Thunderhill if not a bit faster. I drove both my Z and my friend's Elise, and absolutely fell in love with the Elise! Our Z's feel like tanks compared to that car! The one problem I had with my Z was the brakes. Even though I have the Brembo set up with Nismo pads, the pads felt like putty after just a couple of laps. How did your brakes hold up on that track?
I'm SO jealous, an ELISE??? I did Willow about a year ago with Driving Concepts and I really liked it, only 9 turns to remember, pretty straightforward lines, and I figured out Turn 9 pretty fast so I was happy. (One of my best memories in my entire lifetime will be the fact that I kept up with a Modena (admittedly, a shltty driver) from Turns 2-6 until he hit the back straight).

But it was my first track so I was pretty cautious. Plus I did it when I had an auto Z (Brick), which totally sucked, and is why I traded it in at the beginning of this year for an manual tranny, which I then had to learn how to drive.

Wow, your brakes gave in that fast? Mine held up, but I think we only did 3 20 minute sessions (can't remember now). My brakes turned to nothing at Cal Speedway though, that was scary. I'm nervous about Buttonwillow, isn't that tough on brakes?

Wired, the stickers are on my car. They're subtle though (about 2 x 1 inches, just the track configuration) and on the driver's side rear window. Yeah, there's a ricer inside me.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 AM
iris

Here's Buttonwillow and Willow Springs.
Attached Thumbnails 12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic-roadcourselg.gif   12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic-race_01_config.gif  
Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM
spf4000

It's the braking zones for turn 1 and turn 3 that did it. Going from 125 on the straight down to 80 for turn 1 really heats up the brakes, and then going from 110 down to 85 for turn 3 on hot pads was when I really felt it. I need to get some air ducts for my brakes and upgrade my pads to Endless CC-X.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
FLZ_Boy

It's the braking zones for turn 1 and turn 3 that did it. Going from 125 on the straight down to 80 for turn 1 really heats up the brakes, and then going from 110 down to 85 for turn 3 on hot pads was when I really felt it. I need to get some air ducts for my brakes and upgrade my pads to Endless CC-X.
To avoid the putty and squishy pedals you might want to change to SS lines and use some high grade braking fluid.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
spf4000

To avoid the putty and squishy pedals you might want to change to SS lines and use some high grade braking fluid.
I'm using Nismo SS lines and Motul Racing Fluid.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 PM
FLZ_Boy

I'm using Nismo SS lines and Motul Racing Fluid.
I used Stop Tech SS lines and Motul Racing Fluid and didn't really encounter any mushy pedal, but I was getting increased braking distance from my Hawk HPS at Buttonwillow.

Then again I couldn't really stomp on the brakes too much since I would catch up to slower drivers too fast.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
mikewagon

how many laps do you think i could get in on the stock non-brembos?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
SHO-TIME

Originally Posted by Sr. Panza
+1 SHO, there's no denying you drive like a madman. The only thought that goes through my head when i'm caravaning with SHO is, "I hope i'm not the only one who gets a ticket."
I may drive a slightly faster than the regular traffic but hey, I do not drive like a madman! no worries Rafael, I think cops *usually* gives ticket to the person who's leading the pack.

+1 to the addiction.
So... are you coming out??
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM
SHO-TIME

Wow, your brakes gave in that fast? Mine held up, but I think we only did 3 20 minute sessions (can't remember now). My brakes turned to nothing at Cal Speedway though, that was scary. I'm nervous about Buttonwillow, isn't that tough on brakes?
At buttonwillow, I started to feel my brakes fade toward the end of the day... but they were find during. I guess I wasn't going fast enough to use that much brakes?? Dunno. I don quite remember how many 30 min sessions that day... I wasn't counting. Come to think of it... the last 3 sessions, I went on straight for 1.5 hrs. No wonder I was so exhausted.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are you guys still taking reservations?

i'm tempted in going with you all.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:19 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. I'm debating between this and this:

SoCal-SERCA at the Streets of Willow Springs 10/14/05 (Fri.)

All drivers & cars welcome and the event is priced as follows:

SERCA & NNA = $125 (Paypal $130)

All others = $145 (Paypal $150)

Online registration is at:

http://www.gfos.net/serca/2005/streets/reg.php

Never mind the "notices/errors" on this page, it still works fine. Just remember to fill out the entire form, & you should get a confirmation page with reminder of payment information.

All vehicles welcome but please note that any topless cars must have adequate roll-over protection *above* the head. The 350Z roadster for one, does not have the required protection, we must regret to inform.

If you have any questions please contact me at southwest@serca.org .

Please feel free to forward this to any interested party not on this mailing list.

Thanks & hope to see some new faces there!

Carlos Gutierrez, Southwest Region Exec.

SoCal-SERCA

This is the comment about the above event that I got: "SERCA is one of the best groups I've been out with and this event will be the best opportunity for beginners because of the track/instructors."

I know there will be some NNA guys at this run and I've been itching to go to the track for sometime now. Maybe I'll do both. Anyways, I posted the above incase any of you wanted to look at something earlier. If people are interested, I'll start up a separate thread.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
are you guys still taking reservations?

i'm tempted in going with you all.
I'm sure there's plenty of spots left, go to their website and fax in the form
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
SHO-TIME

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm sure there's plenty of spots left, go to their website and fax in the form
Don forget to put the "3FIVEZEROZ" next to your name to get the group discount.

Originally Posted by hfm
SoCal-SERCA at the Streets of Willow Springs 10/14/05 (Fri.)
That sounds interesting and am very tempted... but it's on a weekday! Can't do it unless it's on a weekend....
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Streets is like what i call, a big Auto-X course.. its basically a 2nd and 3rd gear track.

Buttonwillow configuration 13 CW, i love it... you'll be able to get into redline 3rd and maybe even in 4th in some of the straights. its an AWESOME TRACK...

I've never done Big Willow.. i heard that it's scary . heh. :P

ill try to sign up. it will be cold in december.. turbos will be spool happy

Quick Reply: 12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic