Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

My experience at Street Image of Baldwin Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
rgreene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience at Street Image of Baldwin Park

Let me start of by saying that I didn't want to write this post, but I don't really know what I can do other than tell other people to avoid going to this shop.

I've been there twice, the first time wasn't that bad. I went in to get the Hotchkis TVS-1 (sprints + sways) installed, and that went okay (they didn't start on my car for about an hour and a half after I left it there, but otherwise everything went well.

Pleased from my last experience, when I decided to do some more work I thought I'd take the drive up to Street Image again. This time to install a 5/16" Motordyne Spacer, DC Sports headers, and a 350evo 3.9FD. This was one month ago. Big install, I know, but I'd rather do it all at once since I need as little down time as needed (my Z is my daily driver). After them finishing up the install, I drove up to pick my car up, all seemed well until I got on the freeway, then I heard the dreaded droning from the 3.9 gears: bad enough that I simply can't ignore it as a minor annoyance, bad enough that it take my Z from a fun driving experience to a miserable one.

So, I get home and post on the forums (see: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/164866-350evo-3-9fd-install-questions.html) with my issue to see what people have to say. After getting responses from people that told me that the install was bad, I called them (the following Monday). Eric (the shop owner) worked with me at that point and told me that they'd take a look at it again, so I drove up and dropped it of the following Saturday. The following day (Sunday) they said that they loosened the pinion nut, but were still seeing the problem. They said one of the tests that they did was to put the car on a lift and go through the gears, letting the wheels spin free and listening. I was told that that caused the whole car and lift to shake, so they stopped that test and told me to get my wheels balanced, they thought that perhaps a vibration was coming up and causing a harmonic. I thought that was unlikely, but I did it anyway. When I left on Sunday I was told that they would be ordering some diffrent sized shims so that if the balancing didn't work then they could open it up again and see if they could fine tune things into the correct position. Fair enough I thought.

Two days later I have my wheels balanced and got on the phone with Eric, I told him that it didn't help, and he told me that the parts were on order and when they came in he'd give me a call. Two weeks passed without a phone call, so I gave them a call and I was told by Eric that they didn't know when the parts would be in, and that he'd call me. So I said "okay" and waited some more.

A week later I started to get impatient, even just a "they are on their way, and will be here in two weeks due to shipping delays" would have made me happy, but not even a peep. I also call a diffrent gear shop, recommended to me by Jason of Performance Nissan and ask what they think my problem is, and if they can help me. I'm told by the mechanic there that I don't have a prayer of getting the gears positioned correctly by them (or likely anybody else) because of the amount of time that I've been driving my car (remember, daily driver). So at this point, the only people who I can get to fix my gears would be Street Image, or I buy a whole new gearset and throw this one away (awsome).

A bit pissed, I call Street Image again, this time it takes many tries, each time I'm greeted by somebody saying "I'm sorry, he's busy now, try again later." I leave at least 2 or 3 messages a day, but still no return phone calls. Finally, on Friday I catch him, but he says that he is in the middle of loading up a car and can't talk right now, and that he'd call me right after they were done (that day). He didn't call. So I call yesterday and leave three more messages asking for a phone call today, and again no phone call.

So now here I am, I've got a car that I really dislike driving now due to the noise that I get and if I want it fixed, I've got to drop a bunch more money and have a worthless 3.9FD gearset on hand. As far as I can tell Street Image has screwed me out of $1200 (parts + labor) plus whatever I need to spend to get my car back to a reasonable state, which I still don't know what I'm going to do. And, they did this to a repeat customer. Great job guys!

If things do change, and they DO call me back and they DO fix my problem, I'll revise this post saying that they did make good on things, but I still can't recommend them due to the extremely poor customer service.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
narkotic

The problem is, is that they take on too much work w/out enough help. I recently got a clutch/flywheel done there and I was there from 9am until 5pm. I was very unhappy with the time it took however the service and attention to detail was bar none. It's a compromise, I'm sorry you had a bad experience but Eric is a good guy and will take care of you.

Pete (G35 TT w/ the JWT clutch/flywhel)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM
cvt

wow...and to think i was thinking of getting cams installed there once...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just hang tight. I'm sure Eric and Jeff will take care of you. I had my 3.9 and LSD installed there and was very pleased with everything else they have done for me.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
350z_this

i think your situation is unique..... many had very good experience with them.... and i think that's is right, they do tend to take on more then what they can handle sometimes.... but when they can, they for the majority do excellent work....
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Workz33

You know what happens when they take on to much work, they rush things. Thats probably what happened to your car. just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know someone who had a greddy installed at that shop and they took A MONTH for the install. The date promised was a week from the day he dropped it off and they delayed him countless times without any notification at all. When he called to inquire about his car they told him that he calls too much and too stop bugging them.....I could not believe how they treated him
Old 02-14-2006, 01:23 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They seem like a professional and well-run shop too! The guys there are great.

I guess they've been swamped bringing in the new year? with delayed turbo installs? fudging up things here and there?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Workz33
You know what happens when they take on to much work, they rush things. Thats probably what happened to your car. just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 AM
tractng

Guys,

This past weekend, I took my spring out and noticed the nut that holds the bottom of the strut was all chip and rounded (so rounded that you can even put a socket in it). We couldn't open it until more work was done to it.

The job was done at Street Image.

Tony
Old 02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
B-Unit

ive also spent some very very long hours there...(for very minute installs)...
Old 02-14-2006, 02:21 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by Ed 718
I know someone who had a greddy installed at that shop and they took A MONTH for the install. The date promised was a week from the day he dropped it off and they delayed him countless times without any notification at all. When he called to inquire about his car they told him that he calls too much and too stop bugging them.....I could not believe how they treated him
ouch, thats enough to bug ya
Old 02-14-2006, 02:55 PM
g35twinturbo

Everyone join in, lets bad mouth Street Image!

NOT.

Threads like this **** me off because its only showing the negative or the un satisfying experiences a individual received.

Although there are countless posts and threads that are simply there to praise Street Image, threads like this, turns into a bad mouthing of a company.

I am not affiliated with Street Image, but consider my self a long time customer. I, along with many many other customers have spent thousands of dollars at Street Image, and can honestly say it has been a great experience from the beginning.

I think the thing about Street Image that keeps me coming back, is their promise and the way they stand behind their work. Any time i ever have an issue, with my car someone at Street Image is always there to take my call and help me work it out.

To say there is a company out there, let alone a Automotive shop, that is flawless is not possible. I believe Street Image does great work and handles the cars the way you would want your car treated, however i do believe they would much more successful if they had better organization towards scheduling.

-Jordan
Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by 350z_this
i think your situation is unique..... many had very good experience with them.... and i think that's is right, they do tend to take on more then what they can handle sometimes.... but when they can, they for the majority do excellent work....
oops! I used the graemlin "+1" on the wrong comment previously. I meant it for this one. Here is my second try:

Old 02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by g35twinturbo
Threads like this **** me off because its only showing the negative or the un satisfying experiences a individual received.

Although there are countless posts and threads that are simply there to praise Street Image, threads like this, turns into a bad mouthing of a company
Did you miss my post above ? My good friend dropped a ton of money on that shop and they did not even have the courtesy to inform him of any delays. He had to call them and when he did Eric was never available and when he did answer he was too busy to talk and would never return calls. Since when does a greddy TT take a month to install. He even called 2 weeks into the install only to find out the turbo manifolds were not even installed only the intercooler was. I dont gie a rats as$ who the shop is that is not the way to treat your customers when they spend the amount of money my friend did. The thing about him is he is the quiet type as opposed to me where I would have went down there to see why they would not take my calls and confront them in person.......Sorry that in no way describes customer service when they dont return calls at all ...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:43 PM
g35twinturbo

I agree with that you said, i would be pissed off as well. I just dont like when everyone jumps in with the negitive comments.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:54 PM
SCRoadster

I agree with that you said, i would be pissed off as well. I just dont like when everyone jumps in with the negitive comments.
But those are the facts, positive or negative.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Ok I misunderstood you on that....don't take my post as a flame towards you but it was very wrong what they did to him.......oh well
Old 02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by SCRoadster
But those are the facts, positive or negative.

Yep, think some of the posters in here forget about this.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:24 PM
imalazeeass

Well since it seems like all the long-time customers are chimming in, i might as well too since I kind of consider myself a long time customer as well. I've done lots of installs there.. (springs when I had them, my big brake kit, exhaust, coilovers, edfc, etc). I'm going to try to be unbiased as possible and just be honest. They overbook themselves all the time. It doesn't really bother me but if you are in a hurry, you are screwed. Their ETA's are not very accurate as well. So if I were you I would give themselves the full day to do ANY type of mod (even if its just tightening a bolt) because it usually comes down to that anyways. I took my car in to install my tein flex with edfc.. dropped off the car at 11 am and they finished at about 1030pm. As for the not returning phone call thing, that is true as well. I assume they are just really busy all the time but it would really make a world of difference if they were to return phone calls. I'm not saying they never do, but most of the time they don't.

You should also keep in mind that most of the time they take a long time is due to the fact that they do not rush things. I'm sure you don't want them to rush things either. So if you want the job done right, you just got to be a little more patient. It doesn't hurt SI if they do hire more people tho. Afterall, they do have a dedicated secretary who answers phone calls, so it wouldn't hurt if they made her return calls as well. I hope you get your issue resolved, they are good people there.

Last edited by imalazeeass; 02-14-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: My experience at Street Image of Baldwin Park