Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

2/9 Otay Lakes Run Summary

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:13 AM
importriders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2/9 Otay Lakes Run Summary

Well guys, took the Z through Otay for the first time. It was a spur of the moment thing with me and some of my buddies. I was pretty impressed with the Z in stock form. I did notice the slight understeer but it wasn't too bad. There was some body roll that was a little too much for my taste. The tires are okay but could be allot better. I slid the Z in a couple of the turns but it was pretty predictable. In the end I was pretty pleased with the Z but I will definitely be looking for a new suspension and tires before I take the Z autoX'ing in March. The day unfortunately ended on a bad note when one of my friends did a 180 into the mountain side on a fast left hander on the way back. His entire passenger side was caved in. Luckily it was driveable but he lost a rim and he probably has frame damage. So his car is probably a total loss. He was running a full race JIC suspension with kumho 712's on his GSR, so it was probably driver error vs. car not being able to handle it. We all think he let off the throttle during the turn. But he doesn't remember.

After the run I inspected the tires and noticed some slight cupping on the outer edges of the front tires. Did any of you guys notice this after your run? I hope the new suspension will fix this.

Last edited by importriders; 02-10-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

its kinda sad to see that every other Canyon run leads to an accident of sometype.

that sucks about your friends' GSR.

perhaps everyone should take it down a notch and just enjoy the breeze instead of trying to set some world record time laps...
Old 02-10-2003, 10:34 AM
importriders

I agree. It was his first time through Otay(I've been through many times on my bike). He tried to keep up with us which is not a good idea since we all had some kind of experience either autoX'ing or roadracing and experience with the road. It was my first time through Otay with the Z but I know the turns really well and knew what to expect. It was very unfortunate for him to crash, but chalk one up for the school of hard knox. Experience has taught me to drive/ride within my limits. But some of us learn the easy way and some of us learn the hard way. And sometimes there are things that happen that are beyond our control, i.e. gravel, obstacle, other car, etc. Unfortunately on that day my friend learned the hard way.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Aloharacing

I took my run on Sat...only difference is that I was the only car. My buddy rode his ZRX1200. We started out on highland valley to 78, into Julian, to old julian road, santa ysabel, and up to mesa grande.

Funny thing: When i usually ride the CBR with him, he ends up having to wait for me at intersections/stop signs for me to catch up. (he's a fast rider)

On Saturday, he was in my sight for the most part...

We took some pics on mesa grande, so i'll post them asap.

VDC saved my *** several times on the 25mph turns.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:19 PM
importriders

I totally agree. I think I'm faster in the Z than on a bike...in the turns at least. But I'm not as scared on a bike than in the Z, weird. I know worse things can happen on a motorcycle, but I feel more in control on a bike. Plus I dont mind crashing an $8K bike vs. a $35k car.