Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Latigo Canyon - PCH - Neptune's Net Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:21 PM
onefastdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in. I'm at 1143 miles and will be over 1200 miles by Sunday. Just in time to let her rip! I'll be leaving from the West LA area. I think I'll go up PCH, carve up Topanga, meet at Starbucks, and fly back down Topanga with everyone else to PCH and on to Latigo. See you guys Sunday!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:22 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Looks like we are going to have a great turnout

Aloha makes a great point about more than one group...much safer that way

Butterfly...don't be intimidated..always remember that you don't need to drive any faster than you are comfortable with...we're not doing the canyon to impress anyone with our high performance driving abilities...save that for the track..we're doing it to have fun...you can drive in front of me if you like..I won't crowd you
Old 03-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Butterfly20

Originally posted by AudioPat
Looks like we are going to have a great turnout

Aloha makes a great point about more than one group...much safer that way

Butterfly...don't be intimidated..always remember that you don't need to drive any faster than you are comfortable with...we're not doing the canyon to impress anyone with our high performance driving abilities...save that for the track..we're doing it to have fun...you can drive in front of me if you like..I won't crowd you
Thanks!! It's nice to hear that. I picture everyone racing and me at the very back.LOL. I had a car accident in July going 60 on the freeway during slow traffic, and I rear ended the very end of a 5 car pile up full strength. I am so traumatized of hitting someone from behind so I've been a cautious driver. It's comforting to hear those words audiopat.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:11 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by onefastdoc
Count me in. I'm at 1143 miles and will be over 1200 miles by Sunday. Just in time to let her rip! I'll be leaving from the West LA area. I think I'll go up PCH, carve up Topanga, meet at Starbucks, and fly back down Topanga with everyone else to PCH and on to Latigo. See you guys Sunday!

i dont think you'll be able to open her up that much....too many cars and too late in the day (bikers, bicyclists, traffic)

i just talked to my friend and he says latigo is pretty tough; narrow roads and tight turns.....the auto z's may have an advantage here because they'll be able to keep both hands on the wheel ....but its not like we'll be going fast anyways

hey fastdoc, since there will be 15+ 350z's out, why dont u stand out and bring yor 400 whp 300zx? .....i'd like to check out that ride
Old 03-17-2003, 11:23 PM
dczoner

For the record I'll be sitting in with the slower group. After so many of these runs I've realized I've just had too many "close calls" with some of these hills/mountains, especially with all this unfamiliar territory. Also, I'm probably beating the crap outta my brakes (non-brembo), and I would like to make sure these don't warp & force me in to a stoptech system (although it wouldn't be tooo bad).

Anyways, yeah, pretty much everyone ought to have an FRS radio but usually it works alright if you've got 1 or 2 on point, 1 in the middle, and 1 in the rear. Also, don't forget your radar detectors to anyone who has 1.

So yeah, I will be happy to run with the "slower" crowd, but for sure we need a "fearless leader". Also, I know it goes without saying but make sure you check tires before you run. During the Palomar run on the 8th I had 1 guy behind me that couldn't keep my line AT ALL, nearly flying off the mountain a couple times and another time almost running a Civic off the road. When we got back in to town he looked at his tires and they were wearing completely on the outside, which was totally throwing his traction out the window. Just being "Safety Dave"

See y'all Sunday!
Old 03-17-2003, 11:53 PM
kaiser23

Originally posted by b18bvudoo

i just talked to my friend and he says latigo is pretty tough; narrow roads and tight turns.....the auto z's may have an advantage here because they'll be able to keep both hands on the wheel ....but its not like we'll be going fast anyways
Yeah, latigo is tough. And auto Z's might have an advantage in being able to keep two hands on the wheel at all times, but they'd also have to deal with dropping into 3rd when they still wanted to be in second.

And as for going fast, nah, noone will be going fast at all.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:08 AM
nwind21

I'll be going.

I'll be bringing an extra 2 FRS radios for those of you who need one.

Aloha R. we gonna caravan up? I guess if Ganz goes, we'll have 3 from SD heading up that morning.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:57 AM
iris

Originally posted by kaiser23
Yeah, latigo is tough.
anyone run both Latigo and Angeles Crest? just wondering how they compare.

and kaiser - i don't know much about the radios - i just know that for our last meet, people said to bring them so I just went to target and there only seemed to be one choice, FRS. Mine's Motorola but I also saw models by Audiovox or something like that.

Last edited by iris; 03-18-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 AM
kaiser23

I seem to remember someone saying that Angeles Crest was one of the easier runs in this area, but I could be thinking of a different one.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 AM
MastaKillaZ

hey butterfly, don't worry, I'm a big wuss when it comes to flying over the edge of a cliff too... besides I'm too old to try to impress anyone... I'll be cruising at a comfortable pace, enjoying the scenery and the drive.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:46 AM
iris

yeah, Angeles is fast - like 35-55mph, if I remember. Is Latigo one of those "take the 15 mph turns at 20 mph or you will eat it" runs?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:05 AM
kaiser23

Originally posted by iris
yeah, Angeles is fast - like 35-55mph, if I remember. Is Latigo one of those "take the 15 mph turns at 20 mph or you will eat it" runs?
Yeah, there are some really tight turns in narrow sections that you have to slow way down for, but I'd say my average speed through latigo is probably around 35-45, but I push pretty hard. I do slow way way down for the blind turns though. If I do ending up leading a group, I'll definitely take it easier than I normally would by myself.

Latigo's a really fun road, even if you take it a little easier, it will still be a fun drive. It's nothing to really be intimidated by, just drive at your own pace.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Aloharacing

Originally heard at Neptune's Net

"So what's wrong, Brian?"
"Nothin', man, I'm fine._"
"Come on. Obviously, something's off._"
"Look, I have my good day's and I have my bad day's. Just like everybody else._"
"Brian, don't lose that cool of yours. That's your meal ticket._"
"My meal ticket? What? I...I can't pay for my own shrimp?"

"I got the shrimp._"

Old 03-18-2003, 02:23 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Aloharacing
With a group of 16-20 cars, it's too hard to keep together. Traffic lights and other cars will break us up, guaranteed.

We'll all have more fun in two smaller groups, where we won't have to wait for people to catch up, etc.

Ideas? Input?
From my experience, any more than 6 cars is impossible to keep together without a lot of stop and go waiting. While helpful, I don't think that trying to split-up into two or three groups is necessary because thats basically just a multiple of the same problem.

The easiest thing for us to do is to simply stay together when we can and if a split happens, just go with it. As you said, a break up is guaranteed. Just drive and enjoy the run and don't worry about order. As long as we all depart together and follow the same route, we will all make it to Neptune's Net in short order and have more fun without worrying about staying in some designed grouping. What do you think?

Originally posted by Butterfly20
Hey Iris I did get your PM I just have not had time to respond. I'm down to go, it sounds like fun. What time will it be starting?
It starts at 10:00 a.m. at Star Bucks on Topanga Blvd. & Ventura Blvd., Woodland Hills. Departure takes place at 10:30 a.m. Good to hear you're in.

Originally posted by onefastdoc
Count me in. I'll be leaving from the West LA area. I think I'll go up PCH, carve up Topanga, meet at Starbucks, and fly back down Topanga with everyone else to PCH and on to Latigo. See you guys Sunday!
Doc, you might want to check the route. I suggest you come up Topanga to meet us at Star Bucks. After that, we're taking the 101 N to Kanan Rd. and from there down Latigo. From there we take PCH up to Neptune's Net. Sounds like you were thinking of a different route so I hope that clears it up.

Originally posted by all concerned
How tuff is Latigo? Will there be a fast/slow group?
This run is for us. It's all about fun, meeting other Z nutz and taking a helluva cool route to get some shrimp. Crashing is not fun. Therefore, take it easy guys so that there will be no crashing!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:52 PM
kaiser23

Maybe on saturday I'll look into seeing if there's a place near where latigo dumps back into PCH that we can all re-group and finish the drive up to neptune's net all together.

Or we could just not worry about it, and just all trickle in.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:27 PM
hfm

Originally posted by kaiser23
Maybe on saturday I'll look into seeing if there's a place near where latigo dumps back into PCH that we can all re-group and finish the drive up to neptune's net all together.

Or we could just not worry about it, and just all trickle in.
That's a great idea. I was thinking Rockstore for that purpose but I'm not sure where it is or whether there's enough parking. It doesn't look like it. Best bet is a if you can find something on PCH at the Latigo outlet. I like the idea of all of us rolling in together.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:15 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

hfm...the Rock Store is east of Kanan off Mulhulland Hwy..don't think we will be passing it on this route
Old 03-18-2003, 06:41 PM
macam308

hey pat, do you plan on bringing some of your license plate brackets for this run? this would be a great opportunity for me to purchase this. let me know, thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:14 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

I'll be happy to bring one for you
Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM
hfm

Originally posted by AudioPat
hfm...the Rock Store is east of Kanan off Mulhulland Hwy..don't think we will be passing it on this route
Yes. Think we could stop by if we wanted.

Here's another map:

Here is a ride description from a past bike ride: http://www.scrcla.net/2001-04-07_LatigoCnyn.htm

Pat, can you bring one more of those license brackets? I'm starting to get paranoid about being pulled over.

Quick Reply: Latigo Canyon - PCH - Neptune's Net Run