Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Tinting my windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just about every Tint shop I went to was telling me they had to take apart the door panels but I was concerned they might not be able to do that without any damage to my panels. When I went to TNT they told me there was no need to do that. I was concerned that TNT would do a lousy job but to my suprise the tint job was better than expected and they did it pretty fast also.......
Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM
dmnguy22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a place in San Francisco bay area to get my windows tinted? I'm thinking about 35% all around. Anyone run into trouble with that?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by dmnguy22
Does anyone know a place in San Francisco bay area to get my windows tinted? I'm thinking about 35% all around. Anyone run into trouble with that?
according to California Hwy Patrol you're not allowed to have any tint on the side (front) windows. http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmnguy22
I only go to King Tint in San Bruno (Montgomery Ave). I've taken a number of my cars there and will continue to do so as long as he is in business. The proprietor's name is Douglas. He gives lifetime guarantees and will take the door apart to do it right...no creases, warps, etc!
510-712-4307
650-921-2021

Tell him "the guy with the Blue Z" sent you. My car is there now. I got pulled over (CHP) last week and I have to remove my beautiful 20% (all around). I'm thinking of going 50% or 45% (if avail) shortly after...damn !

I just got my car back. It's been stripped of the tint! Damn, I hate driving with clear windows. I feel like I'm on display or something! Everything is too bright and I am uncomfortable with the lack of privacy! I don't want to do 50% but 3M only makes 35 and 50.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 06-18-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Zrolimit

Originally Posted by dkorr
according to California Hwy Patrol you're not allowed to have any tint on the side (front) windows. http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Weird. Current California law says you can have tint but it must allow 70% of ambient light pass through. I wish the state would get their s**t straight since they can't even seem to tell you what the California State Vehicle Code says. I have 35% on my car (bought in Nevada) and the officer told me that it was too dark. Nothing about not being able to have any; just that it was too dark. Damn fix-it tickets!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Zrolimit

Alright, so here is what I've found. Apparently in the California Vehicle Code there is an statement that goes like this:

26708.5 - Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.

I think this is probably what most CHP officers refer to when they pull someone over, BUT....what about the last excerpt from that statement that talks about subdivision (d) of 26708? Here is that excerpt:

26708 Section (d)

d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

It's confusing at first but it seems that it's saying you can have tint up to 30% as long as the tint does not block/obstruct the driver's view. Anyone else have a guess???
Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

According to the CHP website:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

2. The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.
And from the CA DMV website:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
And this website:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

States that the front driver and passenger side windows must allow at least70% light to enter.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 AM
SoCalTed

TINT ZONE
18472 Colima Rd Ste 112
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
(626) 581-9977

I've used Tint Zone in Rowland Heights and am very happy. I've sent David at least 50 to 60 cars, and have had 4 of mine done with him.

Did 50% charcoal on the windshield, 28% Quantum on the driver and passengers, & 19% Quantum on the backseat and rear window. He will even file the tint if you ask so there is no line at the top of the window.

No issues to date with the police/CHP (for tint).

As an added bonus, there are at least 4 boba shops in any direction you walk!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM
kylekyle350z

NO ONE GO TO WHITTIER TINT SHOP. THEY FAIL AT LIFE.

took 3 and ahalf hours to do my tint, When it was finally finished the passenger door window had a big *** gap in it.......... soo pissed.+ they act like dicks.
wanted to go crazy.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
dkorr

Originally Posted by Zrolimit
Alright, so here is what I've found. Apparently in the California Vehicle Code there is an statement that goes like this:

26708.5 - Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.

I think this is probably what most CHP officers refer to when they pull someone over, BUT....what about the last excerpt from that statement that talks about subdivision (d) of 26708? Here is that excerpt:

26708 Section (d)

d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

It's confusing at first but it seems that it's saying you can have tint up to 30% as long as the tint does not block/obstruct the driver's view. Anyone else have a guess???
the laws are quite confusing.... either way i see tons of cars with tint of various shades...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
SoCalTed

Originally Posted by dkorr
the laws are quite confusing.... either way i see tons of cars with tint of various shades...
There are also tons of people who don't drive the posted speed limit.

The laws are not confusing, there are only irate drivers getting caught breaking the law(s).

It's the same old routine, going back to post #17 on this (and any other enthusiast site). Tint your windows, drive until you get a fix it ticket, remove the tint, pay the fine, put tint back on.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Zrolimit

Originally Posted by SoCalTed
There are also tons of people who don't drive the posted speed limit.

The laws are not confusing, there are only irate drivers getting caught breaking the law(s).

It's the same old routine, going back to post #17 on this (and any other enthusiast site). Tint your windows, drive until you get a fix it ticket, remove the tint, pay the fine, put tint back on.
As far as getting tagged for driving over the speed limit; I'm cool with that. It's my own damn fault. But...

I think we're trying to get past doing s**t like re-tinting our windows ever 30 days. If I tint my windows to what is allowed by California Vehicle Code and some d**khead CHP/Metro officer wants to tell me "It's too dark/not allowed" I want to make sure I have the right info in order to tell him to kiss my @$$!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 PM
mrchu25

limo all da way baby
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
DCK

Originally Posted by JoeyFyed
DO NOT go to California tint, i was going to get mine done there, but there service was horrible and very rude... even cussed at me and demanded i called him MISTER since im 18... -_-

Never happened to me.. Peter is a tight guy great to deal with too.. they have tinted a lot of my cars and friends cars with no problems... only thing is they get busy fast so get in there early or they wont have time that day to tint your ride