Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Whats Wrong With My Exhaust!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:13 AM
3FIFTYZEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats Wrong With My Exhaust!?!?!

I currently have strup headers on my car and use to have an injen true dual exhaust. Problem was the exhaust always scrapped on things even though it was stock height!

I figured it was the exhaust and decided to listen to some people claiming it was the injen exhaust so i came across a good deal on a brand new nismo catback so i bought it.

I just installed it tonight and on start up everything was fine. Sounds awesome!!

So now i have Strup headers, stock cats, and nismo catback.

I installed everything correctly but i have a banging/rattle/horrible sound like the exhaust is banging against something underneath the car.

WHAT IS THIS!?! I believe its the strup headers are to long or something and make everything hang down to low but i dont know.

Any suggestions?!?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it on a lift and look?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:59 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have 3 header bolts that came loose on the drivers side, causing the exhaust to sit back farther than it should be which in turn is causing it to rub on your transmission and your rear diff. If you do not remedy this problem it will lead to the dreaded synchro problem with in the transmission and also the exhaust rubbing the rear diff will super heat the diff fluid causing boil over and catastrophic gear failure.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Billhyco

interested in selling that injen exhaust???
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 AM
3FIFTYZEE

Originally Posted by Billhyco
interested in selling that injen exhaust???
injen exhaust is broke, it was banging so bad the hangers ripped of and theres holes in the exhaust where the henders are suppose to go. 2 hangers need welded on.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
you have 3 header bolts that came loose on the drivers side, causing the exhaust to sit back farther than it should be which in turn is causing it to rub on your transmission and your rear diff. If you do not remedy this problem it will lead to the dreaded synchro problem with in the transmission and also the exhaust rubbing the rear diff will super heat the diff fluid causing boil over and catastrophic gear failure.
Are you doing a psychic reading/diagnostic?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gringott
Are you doing a psychic reading/diagnostic?
well, he did assume we were all psychic by asking what he did.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
well, he did assume we were all psychic by asking what he did.
That's a fact. Seeing OP tore up the Injen taking it off, who knows what happened puting the neeesmoe on.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:12 AM
matman99

I have the Nismo exhaust, headers and CAI. Ever since I had the headers done I've been hearing a rattle, usually in the 3k-5k range. I took it back to the dealer (all work was done there), did a test drive and they said they'd look into it. They told me part of the exhaust is hitting the cross-bar, and that it just needs to be heated up and bent a fraction of an inch. Something they said I can take to any muffler shop and have done. Well after bch'ing about how it's THEIR part and THEY did the install, they called back and said they'd yank out the exhaust and get it fixed for me. (They're probably going to go put a nice CREASE in the pipe for me now )

Given that a search turned up this thread I guess this is a common problem??? So could Nissan have mis-designed a part for their own car, or is there just barely enough tolerance that in the manufacturing process these things occasionally happen? Or are me and 3FIFTYZEE just unlucky?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
HackneyG

My Nismo is rattling really bad also. I haven't had a chance to put it on a lift, I'm going to take it to a muffler shop and see what they can find.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM
BlackZero6

my greddy was beating the crap out of my rear sway bar....so i put a spacer on the bracket and all was solved....i know this doesnt help at all just thought id sharee
Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 AM
gringott

They have to put the spacers on that go on the bolts in the crossmember. The spacers come in the kit. They lower the crossmember about a 1/8th inch or so, preventing contact. I would guess that is the problem.

The spacers are U shaped, they go between the crossmember and the frame, the bolts go thru them. You just loosen the crossmember bolts, slide in the spacers, and tighten. That is why the U shape, so you don't have to take the crossmember off to put them on.

BTW, when I took my Z in for the full tank filler fix, the service manager mentioned I had an aftermarket exhaust. I said, hey that is a NISMO, a NISSAN not aftermarket exhaust. And he said, "that's what I said, an aftermarket exhaust". What a dick. But typical of the Nissan dealers I have been to.

Last edited by gringott; 12-07-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM
matman99

Originally Posted by gringott
They have to put the spacers on that go on the bolts in the crossmember. The spacers come in the kit. They lower the crossmember about a 1/8th inch or so, preventing contact. I would guess that is the problem.
Ahhh, wish I knew that yesterday, would've told the dealership that. I saw what they did and there's now a very slight "curve" in my midpipe. Probably have 1/4"-1/2" clerance on the crossmember, but the spacers probably would've been easier. In any case the rattle/vibration is gone, but I still hear something. The mechanic took a ride with me and said with my exhaust mods the car's really breathing and all he hears now is exhaust reverbration. I'm wondering if this is the raspy-ness i've seen people on here say you sometimes get with headers. I'm not exactly crazy about it though, and am going to get a second opinion.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 PM
3FIFTYZEE

yea my exhaust is still banging really bad. i just bought nismo headers to match my nismo catback so if that doesnt fix the problem im going to take it in and have a shop fix it. And about those spacers, i didnt get any with my nismo exhaust.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by 3FIFTYZEE
yea my exhaust is still banging really bad. i just bought nismo headers to match my nismo catback so if that doesnt fix the problem im going to take it in and have a shop fix it. And about those spacers, i didnt get any with my nismo exhaust.
I'm sure you can substitute washers, just make sure that they go with one side on the crossmember and one side against the frame.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
9kFever

is it coming from like right under the floor board where your feet or the passengers feet would be? Their are heat shields right above the stock cats that began making a very loud rattle when I installed my testpipes. If it is coming from that area I bet that is what it is.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:01 AM
918 Z

Originally Posted by 9kFever
is it coming from like right under the floor board where your feet or the passengers feet would be? Their are heat shields right above the stock cats that began making a very loud rattle when I installed my testpipes. If it is coming from that area I bet that is what it is.
were u able to eliminate the sound?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:00 PM
3FIFTYZEE

no this is right behind the seats.

I will attempt to describe where its rubbing.

Where the Y-pipe connects to the single pipe (that connects back to the nismo muffler)

It is rubbing on the black support or whatever it is that the exhaust goes over right where the Y-pipe and single pipe connect.

It is like and 1/8th of an inch away and bangs against that piece. I believe that washers would work but im just going to do that when i recieve my headers this week.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 AM
gringott

Originally Posted by 3FIFTYZEE
no this is right behind the seats.

I will attempt to describe where its rubbing.

Where the Y-pipe connects to the single pipe (that connects back to the nismo muffler)

It is rubbing on the black support or whatever it is that the exhaust goes over right where the Y-pipe and single pipe connect.

It is like and 1/8th of an inch away and bangs against that piece. I believe that washers would work but im just going to do that when i recieve my headers this week.
That is the part (crossmember) that the spacers lower, so it doesn't hit.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
350zpl

i want to buy ur injen broken exhaust can u sell it to me??