Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Idea for next big SoCal 350z event...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:10 AM
dczoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for next big SoCal 350z event...

Hey folks,

Well, now that the Latigo meet is done, I want more! I was looking forward to that one for weeks and it was a great time all around. (thanks again hfm)

Here's my idea for the next meet, what about an all-350z auto-x event? I am not sure what it would take to set this up, but I was thinking setting up a private auto-x course, for instance at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego or if there is a comparable auto-x space thats often used in the LA/OC area (which might be easier to organize people from around southern california, I just don't know where those places might be).

I think it would be great if we could get 20-30 people to come out, perhaps pay a few bucks each for the time. Also I'm sure we could find someone in the area with significant racing experience that could actually sit us all down and teach us the tricks of the track, as well as maybe ride alongs with us and helping us through the course. (Okay, maybe this might be 2 or 3 people).

I think it would be cool as well with our group here I know at least I would be much more comfortable pushing my car a little harder, and not get those nervous jitters about "messing up" in front of strangers. Also, this would give us a great opportunity to become more comfortable with our cars for future runs, as well as bringing in new members with a more neutral and perhaps less demanding venue.

I would be happy to "put this together", ie make phone calls, organize scheduling, etc. But I need everyones help to make it happen, mainly because I don't know the people & places in the area that would get this off the ground. And even the 1st question, would this be something people would want to do? Lemme know! I am thinking maybe early May, possibly the weekend of the 3rd or 4th, or the 10th or 11th (probably not 11th - thats mothers day)?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

How about:

Taught on Buttonwillow's Challenging Race Track, Not in a Classroom

Our instructors will take you through a short ground school session focusing on safety & performance driving techniques.
In the controlled environment of the track, without the distraction of opposing traffic, practice...
Controlled stopping and cornering techniques
Skid recovery
Skid pad exercises emphasising car control and braking skills

8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Sunday, May 11
Sunday, July 27
Saturday, December 20

Registration Fee - only $175
Includes Event T-shirt
Gates open at 8:00 am for sign-in and safety inspection
Helmet Required
Participants welcome to bring family, friends and a picnic

For additional information, call the Buttonwillow Raceway Park office at 661-764-5333, or send email to: lesrace@aol.com.

---------------------------------

I've been teaching at these events for a few years. They are very laid back compared to normal HPDE sessions or time trials with racing groups. No need to worry about how fast or slow you go - just drive at your own pace, learn about your car, and have fun.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Alang

I vote for Buttonwillow!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
importriders

I agree. I think we should have a group track day. Buttonwillow is probably the best since there are not too many walls to hit.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:29 PM
iris

Originally posted by Scott Webb
How about:
Buttonwillow's Challenging Race Track, Not in a Classroom
sounds like fun. !!
Dczoner, do you have to go home for mother's day? that would suck.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:07 PM
grayfox

since there are not too many walls to hit.
EEP!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can we purchase insurance for an Autocross event? Doing an Autocross will probably result in serious brake and tire wear. I think D'oh or some other track fan posted about using up most of his brakes and tires at a one day event. I don't think I want to do that to my daily driver since replacement of brakes and tires would add up to a thousand to three thousand dollars (if I upgrade to Stoptech or Brembros).

I'm kind of partial to Masta's idea of a Vegas meet. That's probably less expensive, a nice drive and fun for a day or two.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM
importriders

Look here for pics of tire wear(in las vegas motor speedway folder). Not too bad. This was after 1 hour on the track. I highly doubt we will get that much time and will be pushing that hard for a class.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/importriders@sbcglobal.net

Also, my tires have 3200 miles on them with 5 1/2 hours of track time. Still plenty of tread and brake pad left. Although, my brake pads are falling apart.

Last edited by importriders; 03-24-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:40 PM
iris

vegas Baby vegas! crazy horse II for hfm....
Old 03-24-2003, 02:12 PM
hfm

Originally posted by iris
vegas Baby vegas! crazy horse II for hfm....
Dang, you got me all figured out!
Old 03-24-2003, 02:26 PM
grayfox

I'm not one for organizing things (hell since I can't even show up for something), but might I make a few suggestions:

Instead of doing coast or going aaaaall-the-way to Vegas...what about doing something in the middle?

(what da heck is this middle thing?!)

Welp, it's spring in the mountains and the desert and that means it's an excellent time to take advantage of it.

The 243, which breaks south from the 10 at Beaumont (near the Desert Springs Outlet mall and Palm Springs), up through Idyllwild and then down the back side of Mt San Jac and into Palm Springs is an absolutely gorgeous drive. Up to Idyllwild is a twisty cliff hanger with picture perfect vistas through desert-mountain foliage (which should be in blossom). Idyllwild is Alpine village (funky eateries, but honestly, the town itself is not enough of a reason for me to go up there). The other side of Idyllwild, the "Midlands" as I think of them is high cow pastures jutted up against the back of Mt San Jac. And then you scream through pure "cowboy's-and-indians" high desert into Palm Springs. Gorgeous. And, it's a circle. Sort of.

One of my second favorite drives is the 78 due west from the 86 (Salton Sea). First of all, I love driving through the Salton Sea valley - it's so surreal. Then the drive due west on the 78, in springtime - the ocotillo's are just bursting with thumping fuschia blossoms against usually a clear deep azure sky as you race due west towards a mountain.

Then - whoosh! Switchbacks up the mountain and follow the 76 through totally different climate and foliage. Or you can take complete back roads and end up in Temecula wine country (how convieneeeeeent).

Anyway, two of my favorite drives for 1) driving pleasure and 2) glorious scenary.

And oodles of picture opportunities...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:49 PM
hfm

Originally posted by grayfox
fuschia blossoms
Originally posted by iris
crazy horse II
Fuschia blossoms...dancing girls....fuschia blossoms....dancing girls. Hm, what's fuschia cause it doesn't sound as much fun as dancing girls.

Seriously though, I'm up for any good idea and if others voice an interest in that run, I'll probably be in. Then again, dancing girls sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 03-24-2003, 03:03 PM
hfm

Originally posted by importriders
Also, my tires have 3200 miles on them with 5 1/2 hours of track time. Still plenty of tread and brake pad left. Although, my brake pads are falling apart.
That's my point. I've got 12,300+ miles on my tires. A member commented at our recent Latigo Cyn. meet that it looks like I have another 15k miles of tread wear to go.

I drive canyon, coast hwy and freeway daily. However, I do a lot of engine braking downshifts. As a result, I attribute this to very little tire and brake wear.

When someone like yourself who runs your Z hard has brake pads falling apart at 3200 mi in just 5.5 hours of track time, I have to question whether I really want to do an AutoX with a car I rely upon for daily court appearances and depositions. Think I want to cheap out on a track day for now.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:30 PM
zman23

Well I have to agree with hfm, I only have my Z to drive in, no second car, so for me to have more wear and tear on my Z, I would have to decline the auto X. It does sound like fun but I would just rather stick with the scenic runs that we have been having and wouldn't mind getting another run up to Palm Springs! Good call grayfox!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:10 PM
importriders

I can see where some of you guys would not want to do the track thing. I'm down with Vegas though. Even though I just came from there and am going back in two days for the rest of spring break. But I don't want to abandon the track day idea. I think maybe the track day will only be a small group of us and the vegas thing will be the next big meet for the majority. I'm also cool with Palm Springs. Whatever you guys decide.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:58 PM
grayfox

getting another run up to Palm Springs!
Eep - you guys have had already one - my bad. =P
Old 03-24-2003, 06:30 PM
hpz

Grayfox,
The description of your route sounds so good. Pick a date and time of your convenience as if you will be taking the drive, and announce to this socal forum. Those who want to take the drive will join you. The only two extra things you need to do is to find a meeting place before the drive, and a place to eat & chat after the drive. So please go ahead and make the plan.
I want to explore that area, and love to join you on this drive.

Ha
Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 PM
iris

dude if ha's in, i might be in too

*ha is cool*
Old 03-24-2003, 07:50 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A friend of mine used to be a serious auto-x'er and he always brought a full set of spares to each track event. Apparently, he goes thru those tires really easily... and there are always chances of your tires getting flat or rupturing due to aggressive driving. Maybe a set of wheels and used tires dedicated for track events may come in handy. And some more used tires as spares as well.

BTW, he doesn't do auto-x anymore but is now into circuits... according to him, it's less harsh to the car.

Old 03-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

A track day is really only as hard on the car as you want to make it. It is rare indeed that someone has to stop early due to worn tires or a broken part, but it does happen. Usually it's someone who arrives with marginal tires or equipment to begin with.

There are no lap times taken at a Buttonwillow Driving Clinic, and drivers are split into groups based upon experience and relative speed. The fast guys can have at it, but there are groups for those who just want to learn proper techniques and approach the limits of their cars (and themselves) in a controlled manner. Instructors provide invaluable in-car instruction from the passenger or driver's seat.

Buttonwillow is a great track for first-timers and seasoned veterans alike, as there is a nice variety of corners and plenty of run-off for mistakes. Admittedly, track driving isn't for everyone, but you might be surprised at the variety of different drivers and cars that typically attend. I teach as a volunteer, so I'm not getting paid to encourage you. However, it's a great way to learn and have fun without having to worry about cross traffic, trees, cliffs or cops (although several of the instructors are/were police officers!).

Feel free to ask me any questions about these events. Even if there isn't group participation, some of you might want to attend individually.

Last edited by Scott Webb; 03-24-2003 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Idea for next big SoCal 350z event...