Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Z is in the shop(tranny problem)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 05:00 PM
importriders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z is in the shop(tranny problem)

Well guys, I just dropped off the Z at the shop and I'm crossing my fingers. I had the 3rd gear grind thing going. I'll found out more tomorrow. Today they are just going to try to duplicate the problem. That shouldn't be too hard since it grinds into third all the time, no matter when and how you shift. Well at least they gave me a loaner(altima) and the service guys were cool. For those of you that have the same problem, I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Aloharacing

Which dealer did you take the car to??

Did they give you the 4 banger altima or the 3.5?

Good luck...
Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
importriders

Oceanside Mossy. I got the crappy 2.5S. But its cool, its free. The Oceanside dealership is cool though. The service area is prestine and huge. Depending on how this tranny thing goes, I'll be taking my Z for service up there from now on.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
bobowah

sorry dude about the tranny
hopefully they give you a new one
Old 04-07-2003, 08:45 PM
importriders

Originally posted by bobowah
sorry dude about the tranny
hopefully they give you a new one
Thanks bobowah. I'm hoping for a new one too. So are you gonna do willow in May?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:37 PM
bobowah

Originally posted by importriders
Thanks bobowah. I'm hoping for a new one too. So are you gonna do willow in May?
If that weekend is the same one as memorial day. No my bro's graduation is that weekend in Ithaca, NY (Cornell). I am interested in the driving school someone else mentioned May 11th.

But I definitely want to go to a Driving event.

This one on May 11th might be something I can start at... But NASA racing I'm definitely looking into now... I am not so hot on the SCCA thing.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=24888

Last edited by bobowah; 04-07-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:53 AM
importriders

Default Update

Just got off the phone with my service advisor and it looks like I'm getting a new tranny and clevis pin. Only problem is the tranny is on backorder. So I have to pick up my Z later today and drive on a busted tranny till the new one gets in. My service advisor said that he talked to Nissan Tech and Nissan Tech said that they don't want the dealer to touch the tranny and just to replace the whole thing. Thats all I got for now, guess I'll update you guys when the new tranny gets in.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Z4KR

Same thing happened here. I had a tranny leak and they were asked to replace the tranny and the drive shaft. I took mine to Escondido though only because it was closer. I got a crappy rental. Altima would have been an improvement. Once the tranny was here it only took couple of hours to put it in. Good luck man.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:47 AM
importriders

Originally posted by Z4KR
Same thing happened here. I had a tranny leak and they were asked to replace the tranny and the drive shaft. I took mine to Escondido though only because it was closer. I got a crappy rental. Altima would have been an improvement. Once the tranny was here it only took couple of hours to put it in. Good luck man.
Hey didn't I meet you at the Palomar run? You had the black emblems right? Anyways, how long did it take for the tranny to get in?
Old 04-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Z4KR

Yeah, I did the Palomar run and right again on the embelems. But, I don't remember seeing other track silverstones. Oh well, there were probably too many of us (6) there. Anyway, It took less than two weeks for the tranny to get here. I also called NNA to ask them when the parts would get here. They were pretty helpful. Good luck.

p.s.
I like the way the old tranny felt better. The new one has a hard time going into sixth. I am hoping that'll change over time.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:16 PM
importriders

Originally posted by Z4KR
Yeah, I did the Palomar run and right again on the embelems. But, I don't remember seeing other track silverstones. Oh well, there were probably too many of us (6) there. Anyway, It took less than two weeks for the tranny to get here. I also called NNA to ask them when the parts would get here. They were pretty helpful. Good luck.

p.s.
I like the way the old tranny felt better. The new one has a hard time going into sixth. I am hoping that'll change over time.
Well actually there were two other track silverstones besides yours, mine and all_bark's, but his isnt really a track but looks like one. I was the shaved head asian dude that brought the guys with the Bonneville. Anyways, were the trannies on backorder back then? Or is that just regular shipping time? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Z4KR

Yeah, cool I remember you.
I am not totally sure where the tranny was being shipped from but my understanding was from Irvine. Although, that may not have been the original shipping point. It wasn't back-ordered though. Also, both parts (drive shaft / tranny) didn't get here at the same time (one day apart). You may wanna talk to someone at NNA. They actually told me when the tranny was suppose to get here before the service advisor did. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:20 AM
jerrycua

Default What is your vin?

I have 650 miles on mine and no noise it shifts great!
A lot of guys having problems with trans just wonder what are the vin numbers of thes cars? We need numbers guys!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

Default Mossy Oceanside

I was at Mossy this morning for my first oil change. I went down to see my family and they live 5 minutes away so I decided to take the Z there. Also I had my tranny checked for a faint whining sound when the car is in neutral and the clutch is not depressed. The oil change went well and according to Kevin my service dude he said it was normal. He checked it with the other 17 Z's(!!!!!!!!) on the lot. My goodness I have never seen so many Z's on the same lot. They were pretty much all touring a couple of performance and one silverstone. I didn't see any blues or reds ont the lot, I was just amazed by the amount they had there.

Tenn_SZ
Old 04-23-2003, 01:24 PM
SnoopyZ

Hey ImportRiders... is this your first (replacement) tranny?
Did you ever get it fixed?

I am starting to get more consistent grinds in 4th and 5th now...
I am already on my 2nd one
Old 04-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Z4KR

Yeah Import, what's the status on that back-ordered tranny? Me, I am still waiting on a stupid dead pedal replacement for weeks. By the way, did any of you guys fix the window grease problem yet? Escondido Mossy didn't know anything about it
Old 04-23-2003, 02:47 PM
mark_wilkins

Had the window grease TSB applied to both windows yesterday at Universal City Nissan and it's great -- grease is gone and you could never tell that they'd taken the doors apart.

-- Mark
Old 04-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Z4KR

That's awesome man. Last time I talked to them (last week), they told me they haven't heard anything about the window grease TSB. I should call and ask again.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:08 PM
importriders

Sorry guys, work has been killing me lately and I havent had time to post. Anyways the new tranny arrived early and it was put in. So far it feels allot better than my old one. Shifting is smoother and not as notchy . Havent put too many miles on the new tranny yet. It's definitely better than the previous one. Hope it stays this way.