Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Planning a trip to San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
pj550v12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a trip to San Diego

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to San Diego and I had a few questions. We're not planning on going too many places if any, outside of San Diego but we were still wondering about transportation. Does anyone familiar with the area recomend renting a car or is it posible to just walk places or get cabs? Also what are some areas we should try and visit, neither of us have been to the west coast so its all new to us, any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Equinox

I would highly suggest renting a car. The usual tourist destinations include the San Diego Zoo and Sea World. I would also check out the Gaslamp section of downtown. Lots of excellent restaurants and bars/clubs. Parking can be a bit of a challenge downtown. I suggest parking at the mall downtown, Horton Plaza. You can buy a stick of gum and get your parking validated (first 2 hours free). If you have time, drive over the Coronado Bridge and check out the Hotel Del Coronado.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no bloody way ur taking public transportation here.

Places of interest:
Mt soledad
Downtown La Jolla
The cliffs right outside UCSD campus on La Jolla Farms Dr.
Blacks Beach
Point Loma- Cabrillo Monument
Pacific Beach
Belmont Park at Mission Bay
Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
sluggo

If you plan on staying in downtown SD and not leaving, you won't need a car. If you plan on seeing any coastline at all, get yourself a rental with unlimited mileage. Nothing is all that close here as compared to other cities. Gas is expensive here, be prepared. I'm looking at $3.17 for 87 here in Torrey Pines/La Jolla. There's all kinds of places to find ANY food you can think of. Hit me up with a PM if you need any recommendations.

Places of interest:
Old Town
Point Loma
Hotel Del Coronado
Blacks Beach
La Jolla Cliffs/Kiddie Pool (Sea Lions sunbathe, kayaking, etc.)
The Gaslamp District
Tijuana?
Sea World, Zoo, Wild Animal Park
Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Ditto. Staying downtown and only downtown= no car. Anywhere else, you'll need car.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
nICE d(C)reams

Balboa Park = Museums
Mt Soledad = Good View
Downtown La Jolla = Expensive shopping but good eats
Blacks Beach = Clothing optional
Pacific Beach = Laid back beach town with lots of food and bars
Seaport Village = Nice walk, shopping (think theres also a decomissioned carrier there if you walk a little further down from the stores)
Gaslamp = Shop and eats
Julian = If you have time to take a drive (some good twisties and weekend cruise spot for auto/bike enthusiasts) Also some good apple pie.
Old Town = Shop and eats (haunted house too if your into it)

Last but not least......IN-N-OUT
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved here from the right coast, and as an "easterner", there are a lot of cool unique things about the area worth visiting.

If you're into Navy stuff, it's worth visiting the Midway, which is docked down in the main commercial harbor. Also worth going to Coronado to check out the famous Hotel del Coronado and while you're driving over the bridge there are tons of other boats to see. While on the island, go to the beach and sometimes where you'll also see many planes landing at North Island Air Station. Another noteworthy journey is to Cabrillo Point where you will have a great view of the city, and sometimes will get to see the ships and subs coming into port (and a view of North Island where you will see all the fighter jets taking off).

As for food, if you're in San Diego you need to have sushi and fish tacos / burritos. Delicious. Oh, and as mentioned above, In-N-Out burger is a must too.

Gaslamp is nice, but the tourist / conference center mecca of the city. As for nightlife, downtown / gaslamp is nice, but again touristy. Pacific Beach is the big party town, however, it's full of surfers and college kids out to binge as much as possible. Definitely worth visiting though.

As for beaches, Pacific and Mission Beach are both worth checking out, but I'd suggest going up to La Jolla for a nice stroll too. Can't comment to Blacks Beach since I've never been - however, I will assume that it's full of elderly folks trying to relive something they never had by laying out in full view naked.

Balboa Park is OK, nothing too exciting. There's the zoo there if you want to fork out $36 / person to see some animals. There's also a wild animal park somewhere too...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM
pj550v12

John I tried sending you a PM but your box was full
Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
John

Sorry, cleared it out now...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, im here right now. Give me something to do!!!

I was thinking about going to see Andy at perfomance nissan but we'll see
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by John
I just moved here from the right coast, and as an "easterner", there are a lot of cool unique things about the area worth visiting.

If you're into Navy stuff, it's worth visiting the Midway, which is docked down in the main commercial harbor. Also worth going to Coronado to check out the famous Hotel del Coronado and while you're driving over the bridge there are tons of other boats to see. While on the island, go to the beach and sometimes where you'll also see many planes landing at North Island Air Station. Another noteworthy journey is to Cabrillo Point where you will have a great view of the city, and sometimes will get to see the ships and subs coming into port (and a view of North Island where you will see all the fighter jets taking off).

As for food, if you're in San Diego you need to have sushi and fish tacos / burritos. Delicious. Oh, and as mentioned above, In-N-Out burger is a must too.

Gaslamp is nice, but the tourist / conference center mecca of the city. As for nightlife, downtown / gaslamp is nice, but again touristy. Pacific Beach is the big party town, however, it's full of surfers and college kids out to binge as much as possible. Definitely worth visiting though.

As for beaches, Pacific and Mission Beach are both worth checking out, but I'd suggest going up to La Jolla for a nice stroll too. Can't comment to Blacks Beach since I've never been - however, I will assume that it's full of elderly folks trying to relive something they never had by laying out in full view naked.

Balboa Park is OK, nothing too exciting. There's the zoo there if you want to fork out $36 / person to see some animals. There's also a wild animal park somewhere too...

I went to in and out! Its pretty good,...i see they usea secret sauce

Nothing too great though, kinda reminds me of Sonic
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM
AroundMyHorn

Originally Posted by John

arent the little shop and stuff on mission beach? I want to pick up a few souveniors
Old 03-24-2007, 12:16 PM
John

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
arent the little shop and stuff on mission beach? I want to pick up a few souveniors
Yeah, Mission Beach - some down on Ocean Beach if you want to tolerate the pot-smoking bums and lack of hygiene. I know PB and La Jolla have their fair share of knick-knacks as well.