Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Korki's Craaazy Idea: Z's, Twisties & I Don't Want to Pay for Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Korki Buchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Korki's Craaazy Idea: Z's, Twisties & I Don't Want to Pay for Driving School

I have a crazy idea. It involves a canyon road, a Sunday morning and some Z drivers.

Most of this is stuff I did when I was in "Jim Somebodyorother's Power Driving Academy" but: a) it was many moons ago; b) I don't want to pay the $350/day to go back; and c) Z's are a special breed that I think takes specific experience.

So, the plan is this. We find a good route with several sets of twists and big turn-outs or parking lots to stop in. Have the more experienced drivers go through first (maybe with less experienced riding along) and give pointers to the less experienced -- e.g. "I started turning in right here," "I braked to 35 here and downshifted," -- and then follow the less experienced through and critique. We could do it for a few miles at a stretch and then stop at turnouts and discuss, take pictures, find prostitute, etc. Then the less experienced drivers could, say, buy the more experienced guys (or woman, ) lunch.

We'd need a long enough route so that the neighbors won't call the cops and nobody will think we're "street racing." It would also be a good idea to have it mapped out in advance. We might also think about doing a ride-along at some point with the less experienced to give realtime pointers.

This all started because someone told me I didn't know how to drive the Z. If you think it's a good idea let me know when/where and how.

Korki B -- Bing bang.

Last edited by Korki Buchek; 04-20-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
fairlady350z33

haha are you referring to my inexperience driving the Z haha... its ok though, i think i would appreciate any help or tips i could get =) thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Korki Buchek

No no, I was classifying myself as "inexperienced" as well (at least with the Z). In another thread someone said to me: "now that you know what's causing your problem, learn to drive." Besides the basics of driving, and close to a decade of experience in driving all kinds of cars, I'm still not as experienced as I'd like to be -- particularly with aggressive driving.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Equinox

If you are running up/down the same stretch of road that is even remotely close to any homes, I can almost guarantee someone will call the cops. And the cops you will say you were "street racing"

I would suggest paying $125 for an open track day at willow springs or even $30 for a local autox.

While I can understand if money is tight, I do not think benefits outweigh the risks/liabilities in doing something like this on a public road.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
erickim080387

+1.... the most u can mess up your car at the track is... maybe a bumper or 2... if u mess up on the canyon, a lot worse.. maybe even total.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:50 AM
KLackey

I don't think there is any safe and reasonable way to put something together like this which is why you pay big bucks to driving schools.

It takes time, money, and effort to put together a way for people to really learn how to drive...also..BIG insurance policies.

Your best bet is to get a ride along with someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 AM
ANXIOUZ

This sounds fun...but dangerous. I went on a "leisurely" cruise up to Mt St Helens in WA once. There were a ton of Z's and once the FI guys started tearing it up (along with 2 Porsches), people in their campers and minivans called the cops on their cellphones. Fun was ruined for all.

If you're looking to do some serious driving on twisty roads without cop intervention then go to ZDayZ.

Some pics of St Helens for those interested: http://d.1asphost.com/src350z/Z_Helen/Helen.htm
Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Korki Buchek

I was thinking it would be like a regular cruise with more stops along the way. Also, I wasn't thinking about any really hard driving, but that risk is always there, I guess. Maybe you're right.

I am now looking for one person who knows what they're doing.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Korki Buchek

I'll provide the beer and lunch.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

woman? only one can participate?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
woman? only one can participate?
umm if so, i propose that i be it.

this is a cool idea... we can probably do it on some of the back roads up here in the crest.