Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Mercedes AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 04:19 PM
victory1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes AMG

last night i encountered a Mercedes C class AMG at the stoplight. he said he had a 350Z also. he wanted to see "what i got," and i politely declined. at green he mashed out the gas and accelerated fairly well... i changed my mind.

at the net stoplight, i caught up to him and told him i had changed my mind and would like to try. (i didn't know the car had 350 horses.)

first gear was dead even. second gear i was pulling about 1 car length, about 13 ft. at the next stop he says: "nice shifting."

i was perplexed by that remark, and had to think about that on the way home. then i remembered that he also had a 350z and probably raced his friend, while he drove the Mercedes, his friend(who might not have known how to shift) drove the 350.(i think the Mercedes has a tiptronic)

it was a good clean run, and the guy was gracious about it all.
if you're on this forum man, nice meeting you and enjoy your cars.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:48 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice going victory1. You make us proud. I believe the C32 only comes with a Tiptronic. I saw one on the street last weekend, but there was too much traffic to get close to. It's a nice sleeper machine, w/ 349HP, 332lb.ft., and supposedly 1/2 second faster in 0-60 than the Z and almost a full second in the 1/4 mile. Sometimes you have to wonder about those test results you read. Anyway, nice post.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:27 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

well it wasnt me but i have do have both cars as well... the AMG is faster on the straight line no question about it. Its so quiet and the suspension is so superb that it doesnt even feel like your going fast. However in a track the Z is a much better car. oh i almost forgot... yeah its triptronic only. 3 month wait on the car. as MB claims two guys made my AMG in 3 months. if u look at the windshield at the passenger side you can even see their signatures! cool deal huh?

Last edited by BigBadBlackTrack; 04-19-2003 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:48 AM
victory1

Default don't get me wrong, i have much respect for the AMG

and yes. it is a sleeper. lot of sleepers as it turns out in LA.
Jettas that look stock but are spraying nos on ya. and stock looking WRX wagons with the works inside.

BigBadBlackTrack, cruise over to Northridge, i wanna ride in your car.

guys any idea how much $ they go for?
Old 04-20-2003, 09:01 PM
rodH

Default Re: don't get me wrong, i have much respect for the AMG

Originally posted by victory1
and yes. it is a sleeper. lot of sleepers as it turns out in LA.
Jettas that look stock but are spraying nos on ya. and stock looking WRX wagons with the works inside.

BigBadBlackTrack, cruise over to Northridge, i wanna ride in your car.

guys any idea how much $ they go for?
my wifes jetta is pretty quick (quicker than the guy in a new E500 thought it would be when I drove the other night ), she has a 1.8t w/Giac chip 240 ft-lbs of torque, K&N, new EVO DV valve on the way, If this were my primary ride, I would do as many others are and get even more out of it, guys are spraying nos or cold water (like some STi WRXs) on the IC, adding Exhaust and headers/downpipe and getting these things pretty dang fast. From a roll as fast as a WRX, but since it is FWD and has so much torque (right away, at 1750-2000) it is hard to lauch since the tires just want to spin, even with bigger tires on it. I have walked from s2000s (I was in the absolute perfect torque range, and he wan't, so I am NOT saying it is straight up faster, BUT you can take people by surprise, esp if people underestimate you).

here is a pic of her car
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes AMG-mbzvwfront.jpg  

Last edited by rodH; 04-20-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

big bad black track
i just want to tell you
you have the cutest kids i just want to hug them squeeze them and pinch their little cheeks
Old 04-21-2003, 07:33 AM
BigBadBlackTrack

victory1 :
hahaha dont worry i'll post more pics of my car as soon as my rear wing is installed by the end of this week. the wheels are on though. deep dish HREs = although they cause an arm and 2 legs. Im usually in the valley coz i deal with kenny at DarkSide motoring regarding all of my parts.

ihatethatbobbarker :
thanks for the compliments, this might crush your heart. remember that thing i said regarding owning an AMG C-Class? unfortunately that came with a very high price. Letting go of that All Spoon Type-R. the mrs. wanted to have a sedan so the M3 was out of the question. The Type-R has left my garage a few months back but i still keep pics of it. the new owner from what ive seen is active in the show scenes though like HIN and etc.

Last edited by BigBadBlackTrack; 04-21-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:47 AM
victory1

yah let's see those pics.

so far the cars that would be interesting to go up against in a Z would be an S2000, AMG Mercedes,Porsche Boxster, Audi TT, Z3.

has anyone had an "informal" encounter with any of these cars?

what about Celica, MR Spyder, Eclipse?

i wouldn't just race someone without having a general idea of what the other car can do.

...of course we're talking about stock, not sleeper cars or sprayers, or the bets are off. you never know
Old 04-21-2003, 08:03 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

black track-
thats kinda messed up if he didnt build the car himself

Originally posted by victory1
has anyone had an "informal" encounter with any of these cars?

what about Celica, MR Spyder, Eclipse?
ive beat all those on the way from school in my RSX Type S last semester
and i raced an RSX Type S saturday night and crushed it in my G.
so im sure i could beat those.
ive beat all those but an MRS in my new car
also theres a celica GTS i see all around riverside thats got some TRD stuff on it (all i can tell is exhaust and a TRD sticker)
beat him in both cars, mis-shifted bad in my rsx and still one
also matix raced him and won, then realized "hey my a/c is on"
you think that guy would learn but he revved on my friends WRX the other day, that guys probably on the celica forum saying hes beat an rsx, G35coupe(maybe calling it a skyline so it sounds faster, ugh) 350z and wrx.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:07 AM
BigBadBlackTrack

of the top of my head

Straight Race in the freeway or off the launch:

S2000 -Drivers race
Audi TT- Owned
BMW Z3- Owned
Boxter -Owned
Eclipse-Owned
RSX-Owned
WRX- Owned
Celica- Owned
Boxter S- Youre Owned
C-Class AMG- Youre Owned

in the canyons... the smaller more nibble cars will have more advantage.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

all i fear off that list is an s2k with a good driver and ive never seen a c class amg with a good driver.
im thinking im as slow as a wrx for a little bit longer
Old 04-21-2003, 11:14 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Re: Re: don't get me wrong, i have much respect for the AMG

Originally posted by rodH
my wifes jetta is pretty quick (quicker than the guy in a new E500 thought it would be when I drove the other night ), she has a 1.8t w/Giac chip 240 ft-lbs of torque, K&N, new EVO DV valve on the way,
My girl has a 1.8T jetta as well ... I've been looking into getting some mods for it (N75 valve, GIAC or APR chip, AEM CAI, etc.) but haven't found any good sites (like this one) for the jetta to read comparisons, and real-world dynos.

So far i've lurked quite a bit over at club18t.com but its quite a dead forum. Any other good sites, vendors, manuf. you recommend? How do you(or she) like the GIAC chip? What made you choose that over the APR?

Also didn't see you mention the N75 valve... its a $60 audi oem wastegate valve thats good for about 2psi and ~8-10 hp by holding the boost a bit higher and elimates surging from what i've read.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:46 PM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Re: don't get me wrong, i have much respect for the AMG

Originally posted by zxsaint
My girl has a 1.8T jetta as well ... I've been looking into getting some mods for it (N75 valve, GIAC or APR chip, AEM CAI, etc.) but haven't found any good sites (like this one) for the jetta to read comparisons, and real-world dynos.

So far i've lurked quite a bit over at club18t.com but its quite a dead forum. Any other good sites, vendors, manuf. you recommend? How do you(or she) like the GIAC chip? What made you choose that over the APR?

Also didn't see you mention the N75 valve... its a $60 audi oem wastegate valve thats good for about 2psi and ~8-10 hp by holding the boost a bit higher and elimates surging from what i've read.
OK, I will try and answer.

1. My wife has a 2000 Jetta, engine code is AWD, it doesn't respond very well to the N75, the N75 basically tricks the computer into thinking it needs more boost, this is GREAT for the .6 and .8 bar chips, increases boost and holds it there longer, but with some of the 1.0 and 1.1 bar chips it can send the car into "limp" mode, because the computer senses too much boost. Some guys have great success with the N75 with different engine codes, BUT, many don't (assuming you go 1.0 or 1.1 bar). You can find out MUCH more in the website I will give you later.

the Surging I have, I have been trying to figure out, on different engine codes it can be caused by a few different things (MAF, DV valve, N75, etc...), on my car, the surging I finally figured out was do to a bad MAF (I just replaced it last week, and the car is waaaaaaaay quicker, and surging is 90% gone, BUT I still have a bit, I just got a new EVO DV valve today and will install tomarrow, it should allow the car to hold boost longer (the stock DV valves are trouble and many are bad, or leak).

I had my codes read by someone who has a TON of exerience trying to get ride of hte surging, he ran my codes as reset my throttle body and said I need a new MAF. and I shouldn't be a new N75 for my engine.

2. I got GIAC, b/c at teh time it was the ONLY chipped that was dyno'd and proved (got it in 2000), Now it looks like APR is just as good, Giac and APR seem to be the best of the bunch.

teh BEST site is VWVORTEX.com, it has some things (FAQs have GREAT info) on each section, I hope we adopt that to this site someday, it provides a ton of info. You will find so much there it will make your headspin. Be prepared though, the surging issue is something that NOONE seems to know the answer to for EVERY case. It is weird, and requires some experimenting of some advice from experienced people with the same engine code and symptoms that you have.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
rodH

Originally posted by BigBadBlackTrack
of the top of my head

Straight Race in the freeway or off the launch:

S2000 -Drivers race
Audi TT- Owned
BMW Z3- Owned
Boxter -Owned
Eclipse-Owned
RSX-Owned
WRX- Owned
Celica- Owned
Boxter S- Youre Owned
C-Class AMG- Youre Owned

in the canyons... the smaller more nibble cars will have more advantage.
agreed except, I don't think a Z gets "owned" buy a boxsterS, it is a close race.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:59 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by BigBadBlackTrack
well it wasnt me but i have do have both cars as well... the AMG is faster on the straight line no question about it. Its so quiet and the suspension is so superb that it doesnt even feel like your going fast. However in a track the Z is a much better car. oh i almost forgot... yeah its triptronic only. 3 month wait on the car. as MB claims two guys made my AMG in 3 months. if u look at the windshield at the passenger side you can even see their signatures! cool deal huh?
Do you live right around the corner from me? I am in Oxnard and the guy right around the corner from me has a black Track and a silver C32 AMG, at least that is what I always see parked there when I am walking my dogs.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

ive watched my friends stock wrx work a boxster s
im not worried about them
Old 04-21-2003, 10:08 PM
raceboy
Banned

60% of Boxster S's on the road are Tiptronic, so the Z should be able to beat most S's. VS the 6 speed, I think it's a driver's race there.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:01 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: don't get me wrong, i have much respect for the AMG

Originally posted by rodH
OK, I will try and answer.
Excellent info -- thanks alot. I'll checkout vwvortex tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 AM
victory1

Default RodH

looks like you know your stuff...good info.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:38 PM
BigBadBlackTrack

Originally posted by raceboy
Do you live right around the corner from me? I am in Oxnard and the guy right around the corner from me has a black Track and a silver C32 AMG, at least that is what I always see parked there when I am walking my dogs.
hahaha this world is too small! yes thats me... say hi one of these days. different days of the week you could see me and my friends hang out in my garage... if you happen to see us say whats up. id like to see someone from the boards thats local even better - a neighbor.

Last edited by BigBadBlackTrack; 04-22-2003 at 03:46 PM.