Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Anybody DJ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:37 AM
nwind21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody DJ?

Dunno if anyone does but I figure I'd poke around and see...

What I spin (when I get a chance nowadays):
Underground (more or less) hip hop and Trance ( how asian of me ).

Trying to collect some more:
breakbeats, house, more hip hop and trance of course.

What I got ( since I have no mods on my Z... ) :
2 Technics
Ecler HAK360
Mackie 1400 amp
JBL Northwood Towers.
2 crates of LP's (I'm really, really picky about what I buy).

Anyone up to jam?

I'm still trying to find a good record shop around SD or lower OC (irvine area) so any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:37 AM
iris

i think zxsaint used to but sold all his stuff.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:27 AM
nwind21

Originally posted by iris
i think zxsaint used to but sold all his stuff.
bummer... thanks for chiming in though.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:02 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Yep, been a while.. good to hear from a fellow vinyl head like I used to be.

My last set were technics 1200 MkII's and i've gone through quite a few sets of mixers (quite partial to numark and pioneer tho). I sold all my equipment along with a quite few packed crates of vinyl to a buddy's brother a while ago

What kind of pins do you use? ortofons were my favorites
Old 04-21-2003, 11:45 AM
nwind21

Originally posted by zxsaint
Yep, been a while.. good to hear from a fellow vinyl head like I used to be.

My last set were technics 1200 MkII's and i've gone through quite a few sets of mixers (quite partial to numark and pioneer tho). I sold all my equipment along with a quite few packed crates of vinyl to a buddy's brother a while ago

What kind of pins do you use? ortofons were my favorites
I got the MK3's. Were you doing club music? Usually turntablist/hip hop heads they go straight for Vextax mixers or high-end Stantons ( more affordable). Also you were using Ortofons and those seem to be pretty popular among club DJ's. Hehe sorry about my stereotypes but I just checkin'.

I currently use Shure M44-7 needles/cartridge on my setup. I might get a set of beater needles (i.e. low-end stanton needles) for scratching so I don't bust up my Shures.

Sigh... gotta go get some new records soon. Been a long time since I've been vinyl shopping.

Why did you quit?
Old 04-21-2003, 01:38 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Good call! Yes, I was a dedicated club DJ... did a lot of touring and short residencies. Most of the setups I worked on was the clubs' equipment.

I had some stantons I'd use for cutting & slicing for the wear and tear of hiphop -- the majority of the music I'd play was all breeds of house

I quit when I was about 20-21 because I wanted to invest more time into other things like start a business and plan for my future some more. Keeping on top of the freshest music and practicing my mixes for the club sets took a lot of prep work and money (I'd import a lot of my music from europe as they were released).

Also, I got a little tired of playing other people's music and wanted to make my own but was hard pressed to spend the $ required on the studio equipment I'd need.

Retiring from the scene worked out well for me, as I got into other hobbies I wanted to get better at, playing bass guitar, boxing, film, cars, etc. I've never been able to really tie myself down to one thing -- I get bored quick. I like being a renaissance man.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Crase Z

Default Re: Anybody DJ?

Originally posted by nwind21
Dunno if anyone does but I figure I'd poke around and see...

What I spin (when I get a chance nowadays):
Underground (more or less) hip hop and Trance ( how asian of me ).

Trying to collect some more:
breakbeats, house, more hip hop and trance of course.

What I got ( since I have no mods on my Z... ) :
2 Technics
Ecler HAK360
Mackie 1400 amp
JBL Northwood Towers.
2 crates of LP's (I'm really, really picky about what I buy).

Anyone up to jam?

I'm still trying to find a good record shop around SD or lower OC (irvine area) so any suggestions are welcome.
I used to DJ too. I had two technics MK3's and a vetex O5 pro mixer. I used to love to beat juggle and scratch.

I ended up selling them with 3 crates to get some rims for my old car. It was a big mistake I miss them.

I used to mix alot of old school hip hop and underground stuff. I also liked to collect a bit of jungle/house that were remixes of hip hop tracks.

A few plces in South OC I used to get records were Dr. Free Cloulds in Costa Mesa, Noise Noise Noise also in Costa mesa and Higher Source in Huntington Beach.

Dude I'd love to get some stratch time on the tables again. If your ever want to jam Im down.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:34 AM
nwind21

Default Re: Re: Anybody DJ?

Originally posted by Crase Z
I used to DJ too. I had two technics MK3's and a vetex O5 pro mixer. I used to love to beat juggle and scratch.

I ended up selling them with 3 crates to get some rims for my old car. It was a big mistake I miss them.

I used to mix alot of old school hip hop and underground stuff. I also liked to collect a bit of jungle/house that were remixes of hip hop tracks.

A few plces in South OC I used to get records were Dr. Free Cloulds in Costa Mesa, Noise Noise Noise also in Costa mesa and Higher Source in Huntington Beach.

Dude I'd love to get some stratch time on the tables again. If your ever want to jam Im down.
Nice! I haven't gotten around to practicing so my turntablism skills are laughable at best. Wouldn't mind learning a few tricks.

My friend just picked up a QBert skratch DVD with multi-angle features so I'm curious to check that out next time I go up to the Bay.

Hmmm, I should go check those places out sometime. I usually go to sandboxautomatic.com to get my hip hop vinyl. I get some weird vibes/attitude from some of the record shops (either too many people crowding around waiting to sample their finds or too many "I'm hardcore DJ don't mess with me" types) so I just don't even bother going anymore. Sucks.

I gotta clean up my garage and finish house remodeling before I set up my tables again. I'll let ya know when that happens (hopefully a month or two)... remodeling takes forever and is a mess.