Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

For those who have received an exhaust ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM
SnoDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who have received an exhaust ticket

Hey guys, I made a thread a while back that was somewhat related to this topic, but not as specific. And I'm getting closer to my court date now so I'm trying to get this ticket of mine taken care of. Really simple:

For those of you guys who have gotten a ticket for your exhaust AND other citations in the same ticket (as in speeding violation + the modified exhaust) in the past, what did it say in your courtesy notice that came a few weeks later? Did your courtesy notice mention both or all of your violations that you must pay? As in did your courtesy notice instruct you how to pay for your speeding violation AND how to pay for your modified exhaust fine?

This is just something I want to know as I received a speeding ticket a while back and the officer also cited me for modified exhaust. But when my courtesy notice came, no mention of my exhaust violation was ever made. It only talked about how I can pay my speeding fine, and traffic school.

I called the police station who wrote the ticket (Irvine PD), and they told me that after I receive the courtesy notice, the Police Department is no longer involved with my ticket, and it is all up with the court. So I tried calling the court a couple of times and tried a bunch of different options in their automated system, but it simply won't let me reach a live person whom I can ask something like this to. It's pretty frustrating. Anyway, if any of you guys have any experience or knowledge in this matter, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoDog
Hey guys, I made a thread a while back that was somewhat related to this topic, but not as specific. And I'm getting closer to my court date now so I'm trying to get this ticket of mine taken care of. Really simple:

For those of you guys who have gotten a ticket for your exhaust AND other citations in the same ticket (as in speeding violation + the modified exhaust) in the past, what did it say in your courtesy notice that came a few weeks later? Did your courtesy notice mention both or all of your violations that you must pay? As in did your courtesy notice instruct you how to pay for your speeding violation AND how to pay for your modified exhaust fine?

This is just something I want to know as I received a speeding ticket a while back and the officer also cited me for modified exhaust. But when my courtesy notice came, no mention of my exhaust violation was ever made. It only talked about how I can pay my speeding fine, and traffic school.

I called the police station who wrote the ticket (Irvine PD), and they told me that after I receive the courtesy notice, the Police Department is no longer involved with my ticket, and it is all up with the court. So I tried calling the court a couple of times and tried a bunch of different options in their automated system, but it simply won't let me reach a live person whom I can ask something like this to. It's pretty frustrating. Anyway, if any of you guys have any experience or knowledge in this matter, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Go to step 1 for Orange county tickets.

http://www.occourts.org/traffic/tsweb.asp

If its LA county then click here, and go to search for ticket.

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/Traffic/index.asp?RT=EX
Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM
THE TECH

The courtesy notice is just that. They don't even have to send one out. Just be persistent on the phone to get the info that you want. If need be just show up to court and tell it to the judge.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
UHATEIT

have you gone to the referee for the exhaust violation? If not then go to one and have them test you, if they sign it off then you go to the courthouse and show them the sticker and paperwork that you have passed the exhaust portion, they will then take that portion off the file and will tell you the new amount of the ticket (for your other violations) you can either pay it then, sign up for a court date/time, or pay and do trial by declaration and wait to hear if you won or not.

but get the exhaust portion taken care of, put stock exhaust on or whatever you need to do go get that part done and over with.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 PM
m0nkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sry to highjack a little.. I just got my exhaust ticket.. only fix it.. its too loud.. do i need to remove my exhaust and put stock on.. or can i insert some silencer in there and pass it?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
wazhucks

for an exhaust violation, (at least for mine) I went to a referee station, they do a test on your car, and after they give you a pass notice which then you show to the *judge or whoever*. Make sure your engine however is completely stock. I had a pop charger in mine and failed on the spot for a visual check.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by wazhucks
for an exhaust violation, (at least for mine) I went to a referee station, they do a test on your car, and after they give you a pass notice which then you show to the *judge or whoever*. Make sure your engine however is completely stock. I had a pop charger in mine and failed on the spot for a visual check.

wtf... I have AEM cold air intake.. which is legal in CA... does that mean i gotta take it off? ****? im worried about my headers.. they arent smog approved.. but they are pretty hidden down there.. did u have to pass smog?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
wazhucks

for a referee station yes, if they arent smog approve you will fail. The Pop Charger also is 50 states emissions legal, however they still gave me some BS saying that it had to be a specific (manufacturing tag) *not really sure* The safest route in my opinion would be to take off headers and your intake. I too thought it should have been an easy task, Just put the decibel reader next to the exhaust and from there it should be an easy pass however it wasnt. BTW what did cop put for your citation?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:02 AM
m0nkie

he wrote on mine... "27150(a) cvc. Modified / Loud exhaust / muffler..

i was pulled over for the sound of the exhaust.. he didnt pop my hood so he doesnt know about headers n intake. and its a Infraction ticket.. iono man.. headers were a @#%@! to install.. costed about 400$.. i dont want to go thru that crap again

he want me to go to a court around my area to get it checked off.. im lagging it because i have my tail light tinted.. i need to find someone's so i can swap it for a day.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 AM
wazhucks

my citation was *27156(B)* i believe (the text has faded on the citation). cvc. modified smog device - exhaust and I had to take that route. However you on the other hand could be more lucky in that they might just do a decibel check on your exhaust. Im not 100% sure about your citation however. You may want to go to the nearest police station and question about, and if they do point you to a referee station then yes it must be all stock and smog legal.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM
SnoDog

My citation is 27151, which I remember the police station operator telling me that it's a modified exhaust and excessive noise violation. I can't even read what the officer wrote on the actual ticket.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
05Redline

Originally Posted by m0nkie
he wrote on mine... "27150(a) cvc. Modified / Loud exhaust / muffler..

i was pulled over for the sound of the exhaust.. he didnt pop my hood so he doesnt know about headers n intake. and its a Infraction ticket.. iono man.. headers were a @#%@! to install.. costed about 400$.. i dont want to go thru that crap again

he want me to go to a court around my area to get it checked off.. im lagging it because i have my tail light tinted.. i need to find someone's so i can swap it for a day.
I'm pretty sure that you can just pay the fine without fixing anything, it'll be a more expensive fine than if you fix it, but if you're going to have to go through all that work and spend all that money to return your car to stock. It'll probably be your best bet.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Checkmate58

Originally Posted by wazhucks
for a referee station yes, if they arent smog approve you will fail. The Pop Charger also is 50 states emissions legal, however they still gave me some BS saying that it had to be a specific (manufacturing tag) *not really sure*
Did you show them the sticker that came with the Pop Charger? It has the CARB E.O. number on it? You can also refer to the below:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol..._1989-2005.PDF

--Sam
Old 07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Sorry I can't help but I had a question in regards to the DB meter. How does that work, do they expect it to be under the DB limit in CA at a certain RPM?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
SnoDog

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Sorry I can't help but I had a question in regards to the DB meter. How does that work, do they expect it to be under the DB limit in CA at a certain RPM?
I know they place a DB meter at a certain distance away from the exit of your exhaust. I've heard different things about the RPM, where they may ask you to rev to 4,000 and hold it, or something else, but I'm not sure. I'm searching around for a ref station and I'll be getting my exhaust DB tested soon. If anyone has more info, please feel free to share. Still trying to find someone that applies to this topic at hand (Someone who received an exhaust citation along with other violations, such as speeding).
Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
SnoDog

Alright guys, here's the update to this whole ordeal. Thought I would share so others who face a similar situation in the future can know what to expect and how to handle it.

So basically, when my courtesy notice came, it didn't mention anything about my exhaust citation, but when I went to the actual court's front desk, they told me that it is on there under my record. So I knew it wasn't dropped or anything like that. So afterwards, I went to a state referee who did my exhaust noise testing for free (the ref complimented me on the Z and my car passed with a 90 db noise reading. Which is below the 95 db CA legal limit so I received a certificate of compliance from the BAR and another sticker to stick on my ticket that I keep to show to future officers if they try to cite me for my exhaust again. Afterwards, I bring my certificate to court, and since the low intelligence police officer who gave me the ticket marked my exhaust violation as a NON-correctable violation, I had to appear before the judge and show him my certificate. After doing so, the judge dismissed my exhaust citation with a $10 processing fee (which is total BS, because that means we have to pay $10 for the police officer's incompetence and lack of proper judgment). He then reduced my speeding fine from $202 to $153 and allowed me to take traffic school.

So that's that. Know your rights fellas, especially if you get cited for an exhaust ticket, and you know your exhaust is CA legal. Get it tested and get the certificate.

-Sno
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
350Z_GTS

I have had this proble before. To answer a few questions, depending on the car they will have you rev to different levels. Then like stated above they give you a sticker to stick inside your door in case you ever get questioned again, assuming you pass. They wont stand away but for me they stick a sound meter just probably about a foot away from the exhaust. They had me rev my rx-7 to 2k, 3.5k, and lastly 4.5k and hold it at all of them. I just did it very slowly so there was no peak in the sound. I want to know though Snodog what exhaust did you have and did you have testpipes. Just so i am assured i too will pass if this ever happens again to me. Oh, and same with you i know my exhaust was not too loud but i still wouldn't fight it in court cause i would have lost on anything else about the car, still pissed i had to pay 10 bucks for nothing.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 PM
SnoDog

Yeah, they do exactly that. They rev'd my car to 3 set RPMs, and measured the db reading from about 1-2 feet away from the exhaust tip. They use some sound reading device on a little tripod to get the decibel reading. I have the HKS Hi-Power Ti exhaust, and no other performance mods on my car. No testpipes or anything. I passed with a db level of 90. I thought it was going to be a bit lower than that, but I guess that's how loud the HKS Hi-Power is, even with no other mods.