Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

TP question, anyone ever get refereed, hassled, ticketed for TP's

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TP question, anyone ever get refereed, hassled, ticketed for TP's

Just curious anyone ever get hassled, ticketed for modified exhaust, receive a referree ticket for test pipes?

ive always heard the urban legend since my brother has been working on cars since 1994 that a CHP or Police gets a mirror or looks under to check for your cats but i have never experienced or know anyone that has experienced this...

also whats the worst you can possible get for TP's, referee ticket which u can just put your stock cats back on the next day or can you even get towed and impounded on the spot....

thanks for your feedback
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
9kFever

you can get your car impounded and fined. Think the fine is 1500.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the same too. I have a friend who is a compulsive liar so i'm not sure how true his story is but supposedly he was in Hacienda heights when a cop saw him speed around another car.(vortech supercharged RSX-S) so the cop could tell his car wasn't stock. Cop pulls him over and pulls out the "supposed mirror on a stick" and walks along under his car. Cop fined him for no cat and supposedly the ticket was like 2g's.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
9kFever

Disconnecting, Modifying, or Altering a Pollution Control Device
42001.14. (a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows:

(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

(b) (1) The fines collected under subdivision (a) shall be allocated pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 42001.2.

(2) The amounts allocated pursuant to paragraph (1) to the air pollution control district or air quality management district in which the infraction occurred shall first be allocated to the State Air Resources Board and the Bureau of Automotive Repair to pay the costs of the state board and the bureau under Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.

(3) The funds collected under subdivision (a) which are not required for purposes of paragraph (2) shall be used for the enforcement of Section 27156 or for the implementation of Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.

Added Ch. 972, Stats. 1992. Effective January 1, 1993.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
9kFever

"(b) The state board may collect a civil penalty not to exceed one
thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) for each violation of Section
27156 of the Vehicle Code. Any penalties shall be paid to the
Treasurer for deposit in the Air Pollution Control Fund. (c) The civil
penalty specified in subdivision (b) may be collected for one or more
violations involving the tampering with or disabling of a
gasoline-powered vehicle's air injection, exhaust gas recirculation,
crankcase ventilation, fuel injection, carburetion, ignition timing,
or evaporative control system, fuel filler neck restrictor, oxygen
sensor or related electronic controls, or catalytic converter, or for
the use of leaded fuel in a vehicle certified for the use of unleaded
fuel only. "
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by stylett9
I've heard the same too. I have a friend who is a compulsive liar so i'm not sure how true his story is but supposedly he was in Hacienda heights when a cop saw him speed around another car.(vortech supercharged RSX-S) so the cop could tell his car wasn't stock. Cop pulls him over and pulls out the "supposed mirror on a stick" and walks along under his car. Cop fined him for no cat and supposedly the ticket was like 2g's.
cops have used the mirror. Irvine has vehicle checkpoints where they drive your car up a rack. Does vortech even make a sc for rsx? I think its jackson racing and comptech that make them for rsx. I had one for my s2000
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Originally Posted by 9kFever
you can get your car impounded and fined. Think the fine is 1500.

thanks for the info bro didnt know it was that severe i just assumed it would be a fix it referee ticket and the next day you can just swap on the stockers and youre straight

good looking out

yeah ive heard that mirror rumor for years since my bro had a str8 piped 1991 acura integra in 1994 but they werent as strict about cars before you were most likely to get pulled over for a bald head or wearing a hat backwards than a fixed up car

but on the other hand hmmmm...... maybe ill change driving habits or something

thanks again
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So in other words, cop gives you a ticket = $50 - 100

State slaps you with a civil law suit = $1500 ??

How do you know which one they're going to do to you?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
So in other words, cop gives you a ticket = $50 - 100

State slaps you with a civil law suit = $1500 ??

How do you know which one they're going to do to you?
no idea...i just got pulled over for rolling a stop. Cop was nice enough to give me a fix it ticket for tint. Need to look up the tint laws now.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
KanGuru

I got pulled over for disconnected resonator on my brothers mustang .. cop got down on all fours and looked under the car .. got a fix it ticket .. just had to reconnect it and take it to the ref and pay the fine..
Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 AM
mikeSSD

old thread but bump!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OLD THREADDDDDDDD, but I can add some personal experience...

I have seen several smog inspection check points in the LA area mostly around my neighborhood in the South Bay with the last one being at least six months ago.

Normally the process is for the CHP to close down all but one lane of a mult-lane highway and "randomly" pull cars aside to run tests on a portable inspection unit.

I'm sure Johnny Law could get you for your TP's through this checkpoint system without the use of looking under with a mirror.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
mikeSSD

dang...how bout just on the streets? anyone in san diego ever got busted for no cats? or came into close calls. do the pigs really check underneath your car? would they really go through that trouble to look under even when your car is slammed?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Scope350

its a give an take world.

So far everyone that i know that has gotten pulled over, deserved it in one way or another. Dont drive stupid and you wont get bugged.

They have the check points more at the popular places for street racing, sd, la, sf, all those fun places.

I think it really has to do with how you drive. I have gold works, gold roll cage, single side exhaust and TN turbo kit. Cops look over at me, give a glance and look back. How many cars are running around with wheels and body kits? too many to count.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
mikeSSD

true true...can cops pull you over based on the smell of the fumes?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Scope350

^^ probably not, but they'll find something else to nail you for. they can say you were weaving, unproper lane change. Theres a lot of **** they can pull you over for. Most cops wont really bother though like i said before if your not being stupid. My car had/has horrible blow by and smells like **** for the most part, had officers behind me and nothing. I always hope theres a breeze.

They like to nail cars in groups, cause they figure there up to no good, so im not much for cruises.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scope350
^^ probably not, but they'll find something else to nail you for. they can say you were weaving, unproper lane change. Theres a lot of **** they can pull you over for. Most cops wont really bother though like i said before if your not being stupid. My car had/has horrible blow by and smells like **** for the most part, had officers behind me and nothing. I always hope theres a breeze.

They like to nail cars in groups, cause they figure there up to no good, so im not much for cruises.
+1

Don't drive like an A$$hole and you'll have less of a chance to get pulled over.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
gennosuke1

bump i was actually thinking about selling my tp. so in socal if you get busted the first time its fine of 50-100 then if you continue its 1500? people say how are they gnna know if you have test pipes, well recently relative told me mirrors or else i didnt think they would actually get down and also they can use smell

so anyone tell me about the fine?