Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

skiiing and snowboarding

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
izmir41500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skiiing and snowboarding

Hey all, I'm new to SoCal and was wondering what the best/closest places to go skiing or snowboarding. I'm also looking for packaged deals that include lodging, equipment rentals, and lift passes.

I did this a couple years ago through a package for a place and colorado and want to do it again but not drive 20 hours. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
RichieM
Banned for NON PAYMENT

theres skidazzle that should be coming up soon. they have great prices. its located at the LA convention center.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
erickim080387

^skidazzle.com i think? i just need some boots and bindings. i think im getting a season to big bearrr!! anywaysss.... richie!pick up my car! lol i wanna take the E55 to big bear with 4 chicks... lol 5 seaters + 500 tq ftw...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

it's all about mammoth mountain dude...

it's a nice easy drive, basically there's NO mountain driving (amazingly) and it's like 5.5 hours to get there

they have plenty of rental places in the village, but you could get a package deal right at the mountain too

you could save time by driving up to big bear mountain, but the snow is usually not as good, it's more crowded, there's a ton of mountain driving (can get dangerous at times because of morons)
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
it's all about mammoth mountain dude...

it's a nice easy drive, basically there's NO mountain driving (amazingly) and it's like 5.5 hours to get there

they have plenty of rental places in the village, but you could get a package deal right at the mountain too

you could save time by driving up to big bear mountain, but the snow is usually not as good, it's more crowded, there's a ton of mountain driving (can get dangerous at times because of morons)
+1
i love mammoth mountain. its a bit more of a drive, but if you're looking to stay the weekend or something, its totally worth it
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
izmir41500

good info, keep it comin.

when's the best time to go? i have some vacation days around christmas and new years.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Rx Punk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want local but just an ok mountain, then try mtthigh.com. They got season passes for cheap. Plus its less than an hour away
Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Biomedman

Originally Posted by izmir41500
Hey all, I'm new to SoCal and was wondering what the best/closest places to go skiing or snowboarding. I'm also looking for packaged deals that include lodging, equipment rentals, and lift passes.

I did this a couple years ago through a package for a place and colorado and want to do it again but not drive 20 hours. Thanks.
Honestly, it depends on how good you are. Rx mentioned Mountani High, and that place is alright. It's probably one of the closest places for SoCalers, but it's not the most fun mountain to ride. They do have night time sessions last I remember.
Bear Mountain is a step above Mt High (atleast in my opinion). Mammoth is one of the best in Cali. The Mt is huge and they have some challenging runs even for more experienced enthusiasts. I'll keep my eyes peeled for package deals. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Dozer

1. Mountain High - 1 hour 15 min drive from LA - Closest but conditions aren't the greatest plus it gets super packed. I started doin night sessions but even that got really packed. you'll find yourself running people over or stopping every couple hundred yards...

2. Bear Mountain/Snow Summit - 2 hour 15 min drive - Better conditions, longer trails, not as pack but it still pretty busy. They have a really nice park up there too.

3. Mammoth Mountain - 5 to 6 hour drive - Closest place for quality riding, wide open, and long runs. It might be remotely crowded down the main runs but thats about it. Nice place to spend the weekend.

4. Lake Tahoe (Heavenly) - 8 hour drive - Some of the best riding i've ever done was at Heavenly... You can ride all day long and not go down the same trails. they offer everything from cross country sking to back country skiing. It takes about 45 mins to get to the top of the mountain, which means a 25-30 minute continuous ride down... NICE!!! I cant say enough about this place...

Now as for gear... ski dazzle is probably your best bet, but if not this is the best time to go to your local shop and check out last years gear. which i'm sure are going to be slim pickings...

This is only my opinon of the experiences I've had when I was there. Other people might think different. Hope this helps a lil. Good luck and have fun...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Profink

Originally Posted by Dozer
1. Mountain High - 1 hour 15 min drive from LA - Closest but conditions aren't the greatest plus it gets super packed. I started doin night sessions but even that got really packed. you'll find yourself running people over or stopping every couple hundred yards...

2. Bear Mountain/Snow Summit - 2 hour 15 min drive - Better conditions, longer trails, not as pack but it still pretty busy. They have a really nice park up there too.

3. Mammoth Mountain - 5 to 6 hour drive - Closest place for quality riding, wide open, and long runs. It might be remotely crowded down the main runs but thats about it. Nice place to spend the weekend.

4. Lake Tahoe (Heavenly) - 8 hour drive - Some of the best riding i've ever done was at Heavenly... You can ride all day long and not go down the same trails. they offer everything from cross country sking to back country skiing. It takes about 45 mins to get to the top of the mountain, which means a 25-30 minute continuous ride down... NICE!!! I cant say enough about this place...

Now as for gear... ski dazzle is probably your best bet, but if not this is the best time to go to your local shop and check out last years gear. which i'm sure are going to be slim pickings...

This is only my opinon of the experiences I've had when I was there. Other people might think different. Hope this helps a lil. Good luck and have fun...
Dozer is dead on. I'll just add that the one thing Mt High is good for is park riding. I use to do the 1.5 hour drive during the week to get up there, ride in the park for 3 or 4 hours and then go home or to school.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by izmir41500
good info, keep it comin.

when's the best time to go? i have some vacation days around christmas and new years.
best time to go is the day after it snows

Mountain High has the crappiest snow I've ever seen, maybe if the weather is like 20-30F all day and they just got fresh snow, then it would be ok... otherwise, leave it for the kiddies. Not worth it IMO
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
RichieM
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Originally Posted by erickim080387
^skidazzle.com i think? i just need some boots and bindings. i think im getting a season to big bearrr!! anywaysss.... richie!pick up my car! lol i wanna take the E55 to big bear with 4 chicks... lol 5 seaters + 500 tq ftw...
LOL 8 more months!!!!! anyways if you wanna go snowboarding any weekend im not working im sooooooo down to drive. and then we can take turns driving or something (your fj maybe? dunno) but yeah
Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 AM
izmir41500

i'm looking to rent stuff. i don't have enough time to go all the time, maybe once a year so renting is fine with me. plus i've only been once and wouldn't be able to tell the difference between crappy stuff and good stuff besides if it's new looking or old looking.

when does the season start. i may make the 6 hour drive and take a couple days off.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Dozer

Thumbs up

Got this off the site... mammothmountain.com

"The countdown is on! Mother Nature has already graced Mammoth Mountain with showers of snow. Opening Day is scheduled for Thursday, November 8, 2007."
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Zazoozle

yeah Mammoth and big bear...I'll also hit Mt high this winter because i suck and its close and cheap.

YAY I'm going to Mammoth for thankgiving!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
izmir41500

wonder if sport's chalet has deals.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
LAKERSFAN

bump for Mammoth being open! SICK

I really need to get up there.

Would love to go back to Park City in Utah though. Best mountain ive ever been to!