Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

roll cage question??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll cage question??

i know there a few roll cages for the Z, autopower, kirk racing, cusco & of course a custom cage *i hate you Rick j/k *** so what are the differences between the cages etc.... i know it adds stability to the car improving its handling and of course safety is probably its primary function... anything else?

thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

makes a good playground for the young ones
Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM
l-con1

Originally Posted by Boneout JZA80
i know there a few roll cages for the Z, autopower, kirk racing, cusco & of course a custom cage *i hate you Rick j/k *** so what are the differences between the cages etc.... i know it adds stability to the car improving its handling and of course safety is probably its primary function... anything else?

thanks
You pretty much summed it up!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a track car that's one thing, but on a daily driven car, a cage makes no sense. I always wondered why people would cage a car that would barely see any track time if any.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
l-con1

"FACT"A "cage" (not a roll "bar") in a street car can actualy be more dangerous than a car without unless certain precautions are taken to make it a safer (but not 100%) for street driving. Cusco, Autopower, and Kirk Racing style bolt in cages are especially unsafe for street driving being that the a-pillar bars run right next to most peoples domes.
Now its not the best looking thing but if there is a tube in your structure which could come in contact with your head there should be padding added.

Problem is in order to do it with street safety in mind in a 350z you have to get rid of some interior and do some clearancing to the body in order to get the cage outward far enough to be not only built right but be safe as well! Having an accident and hitting your head on said tube is like taking a bat to the dome for sure!

Roll cage= driver is 360 degrees encompased/protected by tubes or cage.
Roll bar= only a hoop and braces with no a-pillar bars so driver is not 360 encompased by tubes and is not inside a "cage".

Originally Posted by Sensi09
On a track car that's one thing, but on a daily driven car, a cage makes no sense. I always wondered why people would cage a car that would barely see any track time if any.
It makes even less sense to have a wing, diffuser and front splitter on a street car being that they wont even be getting use out of those kind of modification on a street car. However, these are the modifications that "most" of the street car owners do. It does make sense however to the person who got it installed, for most of the time it is installed for a purpose. "Most of the time"!
I wish i had a cage in my street car!!!

SORRY FOR RAMBLING. DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT ANYWAYS BUT IT DOES MAKE ALOT OF SENSE....

Carry on.

Louie

Last edited by l-con1; 12-02-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

I'm all for a diffuser and a front lip....they look cool. For the average person, those things are simply about looks.

As far as the cage, besides the safety issues, I feel you give up a lot of convenience and usability. For a daily driven car, things to consider is the hassle of getting in and out, possibly bringing a girl along could be troublesome and likely more attention from the police.

Someone might try to gain a few extra HP from an exhaust or test pipes, but then they add more weight in the form of a cage. All in all, it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Originally Posted by Sensi09
nothing personal towards you, just to the general public:

1. ben tracks his car
2. ben don't you have takata's? = you want a cage if you happen to (knock on wood) roll, those harnesses keep you upright. (read: head bashed in) ? I think? I'm not too sure on this one/talking out of my *** on this one.

but for those who don't track, cages look pretty~ hahaha
Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Yeah, I've seen pics of him tracking his car. I was talking in general terms too....know of and seen a few Zs with cages that won't be tracked.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
DSport G35

Here's a couple pics of my G35 with custom roll cage(5-Point), Recaro Profi SPG, Crow Harness, SFI Approved Padding, Etc....

Name:  G35028.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2850.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  59.8 KB

I've been building my car as a street/strip for the past 3 years and installed the seat and cage around 2 years ago in order to comply with NHRA regulations(require 11.49 & faster to have a 5-Point cage). But after installing the cage I also noticed a significant increase in stability and handling at high speeds.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

dont forget it gives you those extra points at hot import nights
Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by monokuroboo
but for those who don't track, cages look pretty~ hahaha
cages are not to make the car look pretty. I kept telling my ex that it is only pretty if it is pink, have hello kitty stickers and pictures from those jdm photo booth with everyone giving the peace sign LOL

~Robert
Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
cages are not to make the car look pretty. I kept telling my ex that it is only pretty if it is pink, have hello kitty stickers and pictures from those jdm photo booth with everyone giving the peace sign LOL

~Robert
hahaha get a roll cage!! and if I see you at a meet, leave your doors unlocked. (better yet, warn me beforehand so I know to bring pink paint, stickers, and purikura? pictures.)

also, intricate cages (example: rickdogg) can help keep the "larger people" (aka morbidly obese chicks who want a ride in your precious z) out of your car (they can't fit in), which in turn helps ensure that your lowered car doesn't go scraping the whole ride
Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 PM
John

thanks
A few comments about the aforementioned cages...

Cusco: only for show - this cage would never pass tech at any track event as it simply doesn't have the correct geometry (think triangulation)
Kirk: Decent, but due to bolt in design it won't be flush with the shape of the car an inefficiently uses space
Autopower: Autopooper - otherwise same comments as the Kirk

Best option is to go custom and have an experience cage builder who is familiar with specific race series to it for you. If you simply want something for a little extra safety, then go with a 4pt as you will lose minimal functionality.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu

~Robert
Remember mono's a girl so she can get away with calling things pretty LOL
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
gsazabi

Ben why don't you contact Technosquare. They can build you custom roll cage. I'm sure Cheston can hook it up
Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Originally Posted by John
A few comments about the aforementioned cages...

Cusco: only for show - this cage would never pass tech at any track event as it simply doesn't have the correct geometry (think triangulation)

***awesome thats what i wanted to know*** regarding cusco ive heard things about it, but didnt know thanks for

Best option is to go custom and have an experience cage builder who is familiar with specific race series to it for you.
like Louie aka L-Con who built Rickdogg's cage. ive seen his work and prepwork.. amazing !!!

thanks again for the John, have a good one

- Ben
Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
John

thanks again for the John, have a good one
No problem. If you have further questions, let me know. I haven't been in SoCal long enough to know who the go-to people are out here for cages, but if you want, I can contact some people and find out who's reputable.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Check with Relentless , they had a cage installed in there race car about 6 months ago. I dont know if it was done in house or what, but they will know where to get it done.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
John

I forgot to add - if you can, have the rear rails extend from the roll hoop to the rear of the frame rails (behind the fuel tank, then triangulate it with one diagonal and then box it with a bar across where the spare tire well is. If you want to keep it streetable with a passenger seat that has lots of leg room (not ideal, but stiffness difference will be minimal), "triangulate" the roll hoop against a point on the harness bar and then continue down at a different angle to a point at the pasenger-side hoop mount.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

i actually have a cage, Kirk Racing 4 - pt. with the "X" bar in the rear but i really wanted to know the pro's and cons with the cages mentioned and you and the others were good to answer questions especially regarding the Cusco cage which was my first choice in 2004 but i ended up picking up Rickdogg's former cage which is what i currently have now

Name:  IMG00478.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  76.3 KB

good looking out though, my questions were answered

Quick Reply: roll cage question??