Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Official Socal road KILLs section! (Not rodents... racing!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 11:31 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you still running twin sequential turbos? the rats next of vacuum hoses

when did you ask about why i hate him
the answer is i just do
Old 08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
zerobanger

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
are you still running twin sequential turbos? the rats next of vacuum hoses

when did you ask about why i hate him
the answer is i just do

I asked a while back . Yup, when I got my new engine I took pics of my rats nest. the 40 feet of vaccuum hose was piled up on the desk, I was ROTFLMFAO. Low end torque is nice, without the sequential turbos it would be pretty bad.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:25 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

ill get my FD one day, right now im focusing on completing my G35 then well see what i get next R33 or FD
Old 08-20-2003, 02:32 PM
SoCalKid86

yeah I'd love an R33 or R34...i forgot where I read it, but apparently this one place in Costa Mesa can actually make the car into a left hand drive...

a yellow R33 or a white R34...cruisin...dayyyyyum. I'd be hot ****.

or a clean red Nismo 400R....
Old 08-20-2003, 08:27 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

im going for a redline R33 it would take to much time and money to get an R34
Old 09-23-2003, 09:15 PM
350Now

Default 350Z vs. RX8

Well I can contribute to this and can add another one to the kill section. Here goes the story:

I pulled into a Mobil Gas station in the corner of Chino Hills Pkwy and Grand Ave in Chino Hills. After pulling in, a new silver RX8 (No plates yet) pulled in as well and goes into the Mobil to buy something. I continue to fill up my Z and when done left the Mobil.

On my way out of the Mobil, I notice the RX8 is behind me and was leaving as well. We turned right and hit a stop light.

I'm on the left lane next to the middle island and the RX8 pulled to the right of me. The guy in the RX8 said to me "wanna race"? At first, I told him I'm only going to the next light and making a left. The next light was a little over a 1/4 mile uphill.

The RX8 guy said ok, the light turns green and the RX8 guns it and I hear the tires chirp when he shifted to 2nd. I rev to 5000rpm and then release the clutch and hear the tires chirp. Once releasing the clutch I powershifted to 2nd.

I know you guys know already but got to say it again, the Z has some awesome pull across the powerband and quickly gained on the RX8. I let the Z work and shifted at around 6000 RPM which is where my shift light is set to. Pretty awesome sight to see the red light flashing. The RX8 continues uphill but was no match to the Z. By my 3rd gear, the nose of the RX8 was by my rear fender and the driver can only see the beautiful rear of my Z .

In a matter of seconds I was uphill and had to slow down to turn into the left turn lane. It was a stop light again, and the RX8 pulled up next to me and gives me the thumbs up.

One sweet victory as I've only heard of stories from the boards. If this was an FD3S, I would have never done this as I know I would have gotten my A$$ handed to me.

I now appreciate the smooth power we have across the whole powerband. Prior to my Z, I had an Integra GSR, so I still miss the surge where the VTEC kicks in. But that should be curable with the some boosty...lol...

That's all folks...

Last edited by 350Now; 09-23-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:17 PM
zerobanger

Originally posted by 350Now
Well I can contribute to this and can add another one to the kill section. Here goes the story:

I pulled into a Mobil Gas station in the corner of Chino Hills Pkwy and Grand Ave in Chino Hills. After pulling in, a new silver RX8 (No plates yet) pulled in as well and goes into the Mobil to buy something. I continue to fill up my Z and when done left the Mobil.

On my way out of the Mobil, I notice the RX8 is behind me and was leaving as well. We turned right and hit a stop light.

I'm on the left lane next to the middle island and the RX8 pulled to the right of me. The guy in the RX8 said to me "wanna race"? At first, I told him I'm only going to the next light and making a left. The next light was a little over a 1/4 mile uphill.

The RX8 guy said ok, the light turns green and the RX8 guns it and I hear the tires chirp when he shifted to 2nd. I rev to 5000rpm and then release the clutch and hear the tires chirp. Once releasing the clutch I powershifted to 2nd.

I know you guys know already but got to say it again, the Z has some awesome pull across the powerband and quickly gained on the RX8. I let the Z work and shifted at around 6000 RPM which is where my shift light is set to. Pretty awesome sight to see the red light flashing. The RX8 continues uphill but was no match to the Z. By my 3rd gear, the nose of the RX8 was by my rear fender and the driver can only see the beautiful rear of my Z .

In a matter of seconds I was uphill and had to slow down to turn into the left turn lane. It was a stop light again, and the RX8 pulled up next to me and gives me the thumbs up.

One sweet victory as I've only heard of stories from the boards. Now I have experience and appreciate the smooth power we have across the whole powerband. Prior to my Z, I had an Integra GSR, so I still miss the surge where the VTEC kicks in. But that should be curable with the some boost...lol...

That's all folks...
Nice kill, I dont doubt it at all. Someone with a hell of alot of skill and willing to kill the rx-8 can give you a good fight, but the Z should still take it in a straight line.

now I got a -7- if you want to come to norcal, hehe.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
350Now

Originally posted by zerobanger
Nice kill, I dont doubt it at all. Someone with a hell of alot of skill and willing to kill the rx-8 can give you a good fight, but the Z should still take it in a straight line.

now I got a -7- if you want to come to norcal, hehe.
Added more to my original post. I would never hit up a FD, since I at one point had a FD here as well and a FD is like a go kart on steroids... . 7 had to go since maintenance was a pain.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:23 PM
zerobanger

I would never hit up a 7, since I at one point had a 7 here as well and a 7 is like a go kart on steroids... . 7 had to go since maintenance was a pain in the A**.
yea owning an rx-7 is like dating a super model with a crack-cocaine habit.

FD=****ing Disaster or Financially devistating.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:24 PM
350Now

Originally posted by zerobanger
yea owning an rx-7 is like dating a super model with a crack-cocaine habit.

FD=****ing Disaster or Financially devistating.

LOL hahahahahha that is so true...
Old 09-24-2003, 12:20 AM
trust

My Stories:

3am or so on the 91 Fwy westbound. Blue RSX type S pulls next to me, im doin about 80, and I can see him starin at me as he pulls forward, backs off, pulls forward, ect ect. So I punch it. I hit about 150 before I back off, and I notice hes about 3/4 of a mile behind me. I mean gone. About 2 minutes later hes back again, this time rev'n his engine and such. Again I hit it, same result. Third time I didnt race him. Kids dont learn.

OK this one I lost. 2002-03 Black Corvette. Dunno what he had under the hood but it was HELLA modded. Im on my way to a car show up in Irwindale, its like 6am or so on the 605 North. This guy pulls next to me and I can hear his engine thru my closed windows. We take off and I keep up with him, until about 130 or so and he just leaps ahead. We slowed down and gave each other the thumbs up, but he did kick my ***.

Ive raced various import cars and won. Turbo Civics, Eclipses, WRX's, a few M3's, Mustangs, ect. No Porsches yet, no real exotics. I raced an old school Mustang SVT on the street. I beat him light to light but I had to try, that car is pretty fast.

More stories as they develop
Old 09-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Morphiend

Here is my first funny story.

I pulled up to a red light about 2 blocks from my house, and some younger kids in a accord, or some thing like that pull up next to me at the light. Now my car is still under 1200 miles, so I didnt want to stress the engine, but I smoked these guys so badly, and keeping it under 4200 RPMs, lol.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
LakeShow10

A week ago on the N110 Heading toward Pasadena a VW 20th Anniversay GTI hits me up. I was like come on man. 1.8 turbo engine. 180 HP. He pulls up next to me looks over and I just ignored him and sped up. He gets behind me and starts tailgating me. I move over and let him catch up to me. I look over and he takes off, before you know it I'm passing him up. I went 105 with the curves on that freeway and all. The handling was really awesome. If you are ever on it, it is really fun. Especially around midnight, not a lot of cops and a lot less traffic.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 350Z vs. RX8

I know you guys know already but got to say it again, the Z has some awesome pull across the powerband and quickly gained on the RX8. I let the Z work and shifted at around 6000 RPM which is where my shift light is set to. Pretty awesome sight to see the red light flashing.
I've hit my rev limitter a few times and I have to tell you, you should be shifting at much higher RPMs than 5000 rpm or even 6000 rpm. From memory, the limitter will cut off fuel at about 6700 or 6800 rpm.

My red light is set for 6,600 rpm. As soon as I see it go off, I'll speed shift into the next gear without worrying about hitting the limitter.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:30 PM
imntcrzy

Default random kills and a few losses too

from my poor memory

kills
bmw330ci
Z32 na
various s2000
mercedes e320
camaro ss
mustang gt's
mustang cobra's
eclipes
fixed up accords
lotus esprit
wrx's
lancer (non-evo)
rx-8
is300's
gs400
plus various ones here and there

killed me
chevy impala
montecarlo
mustang cobras
surpra twin turbo
rx7
mercedes e320
gs400
accord

plus various others

some races went upwards of 147mph lots of fun lots of adrenaline.... pretty lucky I wasn't killed, put in jail or killed someone. I usually don't cut people off when I race.... I just sit and wait for a line to open up.

nowadays I've calmed down a bit.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:13 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Default Re: Re: 350Z vs. RX8

Originally posted by hfm
I've hit my rev limitter a few times and I have to tell you, you should be shifting at much higher RPMs than 5000 rpm or even 6000 rpm. From memory, the limitter will cut off fuel at about 6700 or 6800 rpm.

My red light is set for 6,600 rpm. As soon as I see it go off, I'll speed shift into the next gear without worrying about hitting the limitter.
my car cuts out at 7100
Old 09-24-2003, 07:38 PM
350Now

Default Re: Re: 350Z vs. RX8

Originally posted by hfm
From memory, the limitter will cut off fuel at about 6700 or 6800 rpm.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't hit fuel cut and didn't know when this hits. I will keep this in mind. You guys are awesome...

Wonder why the G35C have a higher fuel cut at 7100 as per ihatebobbarker? Has your ECU been flashed Brandon? or is that factory for the G35C?

thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-24-2003, 07:56 PM
SnoopyZ

Default Re: Re: Re: 350Z vs. RX8

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
my car cuts out at 7100
Hey Bob...

How is the power boost if any @ that range? You have a Technosquare ECU right?

I always wished the 350Z had a higher redline...

8000k+ would be fun! hehe... I know I know... it isn't a honda...
Old 09-24-2003, 08:30 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

its not for the power its so the car forgives you when you overrev.
my last car went to 8300 so incase i get caught up in the moment i dont kill it.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:41 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a kill story but hopefully worth sharing:

I was totally bored this morning and after listening to my favorite shows (the Car Guys and the Car Show) decided to go out and test drive an STi and an EVO8. Called around a couple of Soob dealer and would you believe it, I got no takers. "Absolutely no test drives allowed" was the line I got. Humm interesting...who in his right mind would buy a…oh never mind. Moving right along, called CM Mitsu and they were OK with me test driving an EVO8 (kudos to them). I told them up front that I wasn't there to buy today so as not to plant false expectations, just wanted to know if there is better bang for the buck compared to my Z and they were fine with that. So anyway, I got to drive the EVO and all I can say in I'm totally underwhelmed. Not exactly the super car everyone touts. Granted I only drove it for probably no more than 3 or 4 miles, my impression is that it is far less car and far lower performance than a Z. For example it came with Brembos but which had smaller calipers and rotors. Came with 17" wheels, not 18’s (I couldn't tell if they were forged) wrapped in Toyos. The ride quality, despite what everyone says, seemed a bit softer than my track Z and cornering stability, although decent, was below that of the Z IMO. Interior was OK for a compact grocery getter but certainly not what I would expect for a $40k car (including an $8k dealer markup if you can believe that). To be fair, it did score high in a few areas. It did have much better seats than the Z and those Toyos are far grippier and better tires than the Potenzas. And the EVO was a definite winner in the interior space department. I can see that you could actually get groceries in this car and take along more than one buddy on road trips. Ah, the good ole days. j/k. Finally it had a real, working, honest to goodbess glove compartnent. Sigh!

My biggest disappointment was in EVO's acceleration. I was expecting some sort of solid rocket boosters to ignite when I pressed that accelerator. Well, it was not to be. Far from it. I know that there was absolutely nothing scientific about this, and I didn’t clock anything, didn’t have a g-meter, etc., etc. (except my butt combo g-meter/dyno), but my honest opinion is that the EVO seemed overall to be slightly slower than my Z in straight line pulls. The problem was that power didn't come on until about 2/3 of the way up the rev range in every gear (hello turbo lag) and when it did finally kick in and only then, it felt about the same level of power as my more or less stock Z. It sure didn't feel like a low-13, high-12 vehicle. Of course, it could be me. I’ve owned a lot of cars in the past but am a neophyte to turbos. I’m sure there is a way to keep the engine revving in the boost zone all or most of the time. It just isn’t how I naturally drive. Also, I didn't really redline the engine with the poor salesman clenching the handlebars next to me (was a nice guy actually) so I could have pushed it harder, but not by much. Now if something magical happens in the last 500 RPM or so then I’ll eat my words and I’ll take this all back, but from what I saw, felt and smelled, the solid booster thing ain’t happening.

For comparison sake, immediately after driving the EVO, I jumped into my Z (with the salesman in tow) and drove the same exact course and tried to maintain similar shift technique, cornering speed, etc. As expected, the Z pulled stronger more uniformly and more predictably throughout the rev band in every gear as we're all used to seeing. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got. In fact I could have pushed the Z quite a bit harder but I have a loud exhaust and didn’t want to get pulled over so I was shifting around 4.5-5k.

So there you have it. That’s how I dealt with my Saturday morning boredom. Now I’ve got to find a way to coax a gullible Soob dealer to let me test drive an STi. More to come, maybe next weekend.

Quick Reply: Official Socal road KILLs section! (Not rodents... racing!)