Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Illegal to tint brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Fooshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keyto123
well the seller told me that if i have it registered in fl there should be no problem with the mods and no front licence plate but idk

It does not make a difference if you are here from Florida or not, each state has the same version of this law on the books in their vehicle code. It is backed by the automakers for uniformity in MFG and safety standards.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
A.H

Originally Posted by Kal_El
EVERYTHING IS ILLEGAL HERE EXCEPT A STOCK CAR
Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
EricChan
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Smoked or BLACKED out? Ive had no probelms (yet) with smoked lights in two cars that i have owned. I Had a friend who however did have his BMW X5s tails Blacked out completely and got pulled over numerous times. I guess as long as its still some shade of red your good. but if they see black they will probably get you. BTW all these were on Black cars.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Fooshe

Originally Posted by OCTrackZ
Smoked or BLACKED out? Ive had no probelms (yet) with smoked lights in two cars that i have owned. I Had a friend who however did have his BMW X5s tails Blacked out completely and got pulled over numerous times. I guess as long as its still some shade of red your good. but if they see black they will probably get you...

The way the law reads they cannot be altered from their original color nor can they loose any of their "reflective property." As soon as you tint/smoke them, you loose the reflective properties by changing the way they refract light. Some get caught and some don't. Welcome to the world of selective enforcement.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
pimpin714style

Originally Posted by Fooshe
The way the law reads they cannot be altered from their original color nor can they loose any of their "reflective property." As soon as you tint/smoke them, you loose the reflective properties by changing the way they refract light. Some get caught and some don't. Welcome to the world of selective enforcement.
+1, thats what they told me, i was driving with my lights on hoping he wouldnt get me but he did, so on july 23rd i gotta show proof of the fix and see the judge to see if he/she will remove the fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
haeshik

^same here, i got court appt. next wednesday to see judge. hopefully he/she will remove fine. crossing my fingers
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Kal_El

I know it sounds like a , no joke, pretty much anything you do to your car is illegal. Most mods are intended for "off road use only." You can try and get around certain things, but in the end remember this:

KALIFORNIA LAW > your Z.

Like the other members are saying, DO NOT drive like an @$$ because they will light you up and a certain cavity will hurt for many long nights.....
Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM
SoCalTed

Andrew... just put "off road use only" on all your webpages and receipts and you'll be covered. That's what stillen, AEM, and everybody else does.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, in my email responses for people who order my overlays, I always tell them to check their local laws before ordering smoke overlays, but I'll add that as well. I personally have never been pulled over, knock on wood. Its hard to tell whats stock nowadays anyways. Alot of euro cars and some domestics have their lamps darker than other makes.

Bat™