Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

thinking of moving to socal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
AVmagneticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of moving to socal

so im thinking of moving to california. dont know anybody there though and have no idea what county would be best to start looking. so im a 22 year old guy i guess id need an appartment of some sort. um have a z with lots of mods so need an area where if they see my car on a driveway with volks they arent gonna jack it. i have no idea what the state is like never been just heard lots of things. "like if i went there i personally wouldnt come back." somewhere social i guess lots of places to go out and chill...good looking women good atmosphere cool friendly people.
any places like this in cali? i was leaning to south california. dont know why seems better. im also a licensed plumber. dont know what work would be like out there.
clearly i still have a ton of research to do but just wanted to get opinions from some people who actually live there. im tired of winter weather here in toronto and just need to get out try something new see where it takes me.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
DB350

My suggestion would be go down and visit some places, look around, etc. Try not to limit yourself to just one state, as if you don't like it it'll be hard to adjust by yourself.

Personally, I have always been interested in somewhere like Austin.. Warm weather, smooth roads, and everythings bigger. I want to move down there once I get my journeyman/apprentice in electrical
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
m0nkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

safe Asian area: Walnut, Diamond Bar, Arcadia (some), OC,

I like arcadia.. its nice, modernly, and nice apartments.. bit expensive..

how much u willing to spent on rent?

Last edited by m0nkie; 01-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
m0nkie

Originally Posted by AVmagneticZ
m tired of winter weather here in toronto.
I wore a Tshirt all day
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

santa monica or hermosa beach
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 AM
GHOST1207

+1 On Santa Monica, great place, nice people. I could only imagine living there is quite expensive. Just whatever you do, do not come to Barstow! We might be located in SoCal, but definitely not the SoCal life nor feel to here.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 AM
AVmagneticZ

Originally Posted by m0nkie
I wore a Tshirt all day
This morning I wore 3 t shirts a sweater a windbreaker and a work coat. Thick socks long johns and jeans. Then a pair of winter gloves and a face warmer abd toque. **** is crazy.
Not sure how much I wanna spend I still live with my parents so don't know really what I wanna spend. What are the roads like out there? Also any universities or colleges in the area of Santa Monica?
How hard is it to get a green card out there? I was reading online seems like kind of a pain.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 AM
AVmagneticZ

Think I'm gonna have to visit a few times Im also looking at vancouver
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Rodizzle

If you're coming down to live in Southern California might as well live in Los Angeles. It's not cheap though.

http://www.parklabrea.com/4/Apartmen...es-California/

Check these apartments out. Stayed there about 4 years and loved it. It's very centrally located to all parts of Los Angeles.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 AM
AVmagneticZ

That place looks pretty nice kinda pricey I might even get a place with a roomate. What's the difference between la and Santa Monica the people? and the fact that Santa Monica is on the beach? What about like clubs and bars and social places? Also um are the prices higher in l.a? When I hear l.a I just think of stuck up ppl abd everyone with plastic surgery and the show the hills lol
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
RRMikey

hahaha you're not that far off... ppl are ****** down here. just becareful where you go... some areas in los angeles is pretty rough.

just to let you know... get ready for traffic, messed up roads, and a good number of shietty/rude drivers. closer towards downtown la, it's packed with ppl and traffic, and it pretty much sucks *****. m0nkie and i are pretty much about 30 miles east of downtown on route 60 freeway. it's still packed but not as bad as downtown.

my suggestion is to find a place/surroundings you like in socal that you feel safe, everything is accessable if you have a car, so no big deal.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Rodizzle

You deal with those kinds of people everywhere . Having experience living in the city and the suburbs I do prefer the City. But it all depends what you are looking for. And yes living in the NICE parts of LA are expensive. If your afraid of stuck up people and plastic surgery avoid Rodeo Drive.

That place looks pretty nice kinda pricey I might even get a place with a roomate. What's the difference between la and Santa Monica the people? and the fact that Santa Monica is on the beach? What about like clubs and bars and social places? Also um are the prices higher in l.a? When I hear l.a I just think of stuck up ppl abd everyone with plastic surgery and the show the hills lol
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
temoku

OC! I lived in Mission Viejo in OC for years and loved it, best place I've ever lived. Most of OC is very safe/little crime but mission viejo in particular is very low crime. It's also fairly affordable comparatively, though as a single guy I'd prefer now to live closer to the beach. I've also been to Vancouver and it's freakin awesome. The people are great up there and the cities are much different than anything I've experience in the states. I'd pick OC though just cuz the weather is so much better.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m0nkie
safe Asian area: Walnut, Diamond Bar, Arcadia (some), OC,

I like arcadia.. its nice, modernly, and nice apartments.. bit expensive..

how much u willing to spent on rent?
+1 on Arcadia and the OC.

I would tell you to live out where I do, but your looking for Apt. not a good idea especially for your uncovered Z. We do have nice new Condo's and Townhomes near Victoria Gardens mall that are pretty cheap now.

Good luck on your search.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
AVmagneticZ

Originally Posted by RRMikey
hahaha you're not that far off... ppl are ****** down here. just becareful where you go... some areas in los angeles is pretty rough.

just to let you know... get ready for traffic, messed up roads, and a good number of shietty/rude drivers. closer towards downtown la, it's packed with ppl and traffic, and it pretty much sucks *****. m0nkie and i are pretty much about 30 miles east of downtown on route 60 freeway. it's still packed but not as bad as downtown.

my suggestion is to find a place/surroundings you like in socal that you feel safe, everything is accessable if you have a car, so no big deal.
Man this sounds exactly like Toronto haha. I'm thinking I wanna be by the beach though just outside of the city like 20-25 minute drive
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
AVmagneticZ

Not specifically looking for an appartment, condo and possibly townhome would work I'm cool with living with some roomates
Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
AVmagneticZ

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
+1 on Arcadia and the OC.

I would tell you to live out where I do, but your looking for Apt. not a good idea especially for your uncovered Z. We do have nice new Condo's and Townhomes near Victoria Gardens mall that are pretty cheap now.

Good luck on your search.
Where is where u live?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
35oZephyR

Move to OC... it will give you options. Plenty of universities and businesses.

You want a crazy weekend, you go up to LA since Hollywood and all that is not too far.
If you're feeling laid back and want a chill weekend, no traffic, and with folks who are little more "down to earth", you come south to San Diego for a weekend. It's about 45 min both ways.

Figure out a spot you want to be then look on Craigslist for short leases so you can feel it out. You're young man... enjoy the beautiful Socal women. Retire elsewhere.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
RRMikey

Man this sounds exactly like Toronto haha. I'm thinking I wanna be by the beach though just outside of the city like 20-25 minute drive
seriously... if that's what you're looking for, there's a lot of choices.

just depending on traffic, your 25 minute drive may turn into an hour drive if there's an accident on the freeways.

oc is nice... i went to college down there. kinda expensive for the nicer areas though. instead of renting an apartment, condo, or townhome, there are ppl that rent out a room in their house and whatnot, usually pretty cheap and you can find them in nice neighborhoods.

car theft is a biatch though... if you have a nice ride, becareful of where you park it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Move to OC... it will give you options. Plenty of universities and businesses.

You want a crazy weekend, you go up to LA since Hollywood and all that is not too far.
If you're feeling laid back and want a chill weekend, no traffic, and with folks who are little more "down to earth", you come south to San Diego for a weekend. It's about 45 min both ways.

Figure out a spot you want to be then look on Craigslist for short leases so you can feel it out. You're young man... enjoy the beautiful Socal women. Retire elsewhere.
+1 ....

Quick Reply: thinking of moving to socal