Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Thinking of coming to LA

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default La

Looking to come to LA over New Years with some girlfriends... Anyone have any suggestions over where to go/what to do/where to stay?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getty museum in malibu. Check out a performance at the new Disney concert hall. Hollywood is a dirty ghetto with cheap crapola shops...seriously overrated. Go to Melrose avenue if you're into boutique shopping. And of course the beaches, manhattan and hermosa beaches are nice for hanging out and hitting the beach bars/clubs.

And if you have the time, take the 4 hour drive to Vegas.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Jill

Awesome, thank you for the suggestions...Is it a bad idea to make the trip Monday-Friday? Or doesn't it really matter since it's New Years Eve week?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 AM
hfm

Default Re: La

Originally posted by Jill
Looking to come to LA over New Years with some girlfriends... Anyone have any suggestions over where to go/what to do/where to stay?
Where to go/what to do? Well there's the tourist stuff, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios etc. There is the new concert hall, the Hollywood Bowl and lots of nightlife. Sunset strip, has the Viper Room, Rainbow, House of Blues and a bunch of other clubs to check out. Oop, Jim beat me to it.

Where to stay? I'd suggest some place cheap, just to crash. A Radisson or some other AAA hotel would be fine unless you want something nice. Then I'd suggest you find a bed and breakfast in Santa Barbara which is about 60 mi. north of LA.

And, if you're doing this on a weekend, I would bet that the So. Cal. Z crew would be happy to meet with you and spend a day. Just PM one of us regulars. I bet Iris would be happy to hear from you if you're more comfortable PMing a Zchick.

Oh, and Monday - Friday would be better than a weekend if you're doing tourist stuff.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:14 AM
jimster716

Awesome, thank you for the suggestions...Is it a bad idea to make the trip Monday-Friday? Or doesn't it really matter since it's New Years Eve week?
Doesn't really matter...i don't think there is a noticeable spike in travel to LA during new years. As a matter for fact, rooms should be cheaper during mid week anywhere. In terms of partying, you'd be missing out on the club nights though thursdays aren't bad depending on where you go. Then again, i don't even know what day new years is which may play a factor.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Jill

Well, we're planning on doing *some* touristy stuff just to pass the time during the day, but we're mostly coming there to party. C'mon...4 single chicks coming to Cali, we're not going to be party poopers. It'll be Monday-Friday most likely, but it's New Years week. Would any of you be willing to meet up one weeknight and party? Iris, Butterfly?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Jill

Originally posted by jimster716
Doesn't really matter...i don't think there is a noticeable spike in travel to LA during new years. As a matter for fact, rooms should be cheaper during mid week anywhere. In terms of partying, you'd be missing out on the club nights though thursdays aren't bad depending on where you go. Then again, i don't even know what day new years is which may play a factor.
New years is wednesday
Old 10-26-2003, 08:55 AM
noel

Default Re: La

Other suggestions,If u gals up to Seafood & beautiful ocean view during the day.Gladstones or Dukes in Malibu would be great..It's a great drive as well.Have a fun & safe trip on u'r way here to Kali.. we should have another meet for u guys.Zya..
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of coming to LA-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 10-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Mr Twisted

Sleep!!! who needs stinken sleep. L A's a party town, but you got to have wheels to get there. NY & NJ got good public trans but in So Cal if your without wheels your dead. Since your a Z sister, I know your standards are higher then most, so I might be able to help show you around. So Cals a big place.

Last edited by Mr Twisted; 10-26-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Jill

Originally posted by Mr Twisted
Sleep who needs stinken sleep LAs a party town but you got to have a car to get there. Ny got good public trans but in So Cal if your without wheels your dead. Since your a Z sister, I know your standards are higher them most, so I might be able to help show you around.
Haha...I don't have high standards in a bad way Yea, we're thinking of renting a car there, shouldn't be too expensive for a grocery getter. LOL.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Mr Twisted

Try enterprise or budget I've alway got a good deal thru them.. Which Airport? Might I suggest Ontario EZ in and out. Pretty ez to get around to everything if you stay in the San Gabrial Valley area good rates too Inside of 30 min Disneyland, Knox, Pasadena, Hollywood,Beachs Etc.. Just trying to help...
Old 10-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Jill

Originally posted by Mr Twisted
Try enterprise or budget I've alway got a good deal thru them.. Which Airport? Might I suggest Ontario EZ in and out. Pretty ez to get around to everything if you stay in the San Gabrial Valley area good rates too Inside of 30 min Disneyland, Knox, Pasadena, Hollywood,Beachs Etc.. Just trying to help...
Thank ya!

We'll be flying into LAX. What are some good clubs/bars to head to? and where are they?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:13 AM
frenzee

I would get copies of LA Weekly.com and OC Weekly which have most all the happening places listed.

I'd suggest renting a car and setting up base camp somewhere central like Sherman Oaks or Studio City if you're going to spend most of your time in and around LA, OR Huntington Beach or Newport Beach if you're around Orange County.

Good places to see IMHO:

- The City Walk in Studio City: restaurants, shows
- Beverly Center on Beverly Blvd: Great shopping place for chicks. Also don't miss the original Hard Rock Cafe downstairs
- Santa Monica Promenade: a ton of restaurants and few good clubs too
- Melrose Ave., between La Cienega and Vine: restaurants and specialty shops galore
- The beach cities: Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Venice - lots of eye candy
- Fashion Island in Newport beach, a shopper's heaven
- The Irvine Spectrum, an entertainment/shopping/eating mega-complex.
- Main street in Huntington Beach: The party capital

If you're into pure driving pleasure here are some great routes:
- Ventura Blvd between Studio City and Woodland Hills (This is really a long drive but well worth it. There are lots of trendy restaurants, coffee shops and clubs)
- PCH, between Santa Barbara and Dana Point: a ton of restaurants but mostly a pleasurable drive and scenery
- Sunset Blvd on weekend nights between Beverly Hills and Hollywood. A must see.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:28 PM
2003z

Originally posted by jimster716
Getty museum in malibu.
My sister-in-law is a photographer there!

We just stayed at the holiday inn express in venice, and it was a mini suite for only 100/night and a great hotel.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:32 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jill:
Have fun in Cali!
BTW, were you the one asking about public accounting? Did you ever decide on going "public" or "private"?
Old 10-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Jill

Originally posted by SLVR Z
Jill:
Have fun in Cali!
BTW, were you the one asking about public accounting? Did you ever decide on going "public" or "private"?
Yes, I'm in public and I love it. I work for a smaller firm (~40 CPA's) but we're getting some bigger clients now. Thanks for asking!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:59 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I'm in public and I love it. I work for a smaller firm (~40 CPA's) but we're getting some bigger clients now. Thanks for asking!
I'm glad you are liking it!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:11 PM
SizongZ

I'm pretty sure 4 girls from jersey will have no problem finding some fun.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Jill

Originally posted by SizongZ
I'm pretty sure 4 girls from jersey will have no problem finding some fun.
I hope not. Hopefully some of the z guys will want to come out and hang with us one night (pics of said girls provided upon request )
Old 10-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Mr Twisted

Z sisters are sisters, the local Z brothers are party animals. I sure we can find something you can post about????

Quick Reply: Thinking of coming to LA