Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Look out and advise: Remote Smog checks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look out and advise: Remote Smog checks

I started wondering about this as I have noticed an increase in on-street sobriety; license and smog check stations set-up by police.

I was doing some Google searches on a sobriety check point close to my house and it turns out that the a local news paper writes down the location and time of future sobriety and license check points.

Being as that I don't drink much if at all and my records are great this was of no concern to me but it DID get me wondering about the street-level smog check points that I have seen both live and on the net.

I wondered that by state law, if the locations have to be stated to the public but after some research, I found out that they are not.

To make it even worse, upon strolling through a website with the link listed below, California is apparently adopting a 'remote smog check' program by setting-up equipment designed to measure emissions and then photograph your car as you drive past an on-ramp to a freeway!

I wanted to ask anyone in the SoCal area have you seen any equipment like this near any on-ramps, off-ramps or roads in general. Please check the link for more info and an idea of what this equipment looks like and let everyone know if you have seen any of this stuff.

http://www.smogtips.com/remote_sensing.cfm
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
pizzato16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
I started wondering about this as I have noticed an increase in on-street sobriety; license and smog check stations set-up by police.

I was doing some Google searches on a sobriety check point close to my house and it turns out that the a local news paper writes down the location and time of future sobriety and license check points.

Being as that I don't drink much if at all and my records are great this was of no concern to me but it DID get me wondering about the street-level smog check points that I have seen both live and on the net.

I wondered that by state law, if the locations have to be stated to the public but after some research, I found out that they are not.

To make it even worse, upon strolling through a website with the link listed below, California is apparently adopting a 'remote smog check' program by setting-up equipment designed to measure emissions and then photograph your car as you drive past an on-ramp to a freeway!

I wanted to ask anyone in the SoCal area have you seen any equipment like this near any on-ramps, off-ramps or roads in general. Please check the link for more info and an idea of what this equipment looks like and let everyone know if you have seen any of this stuff.

http://www.smogtips.com/remote_sensing.cfm

Scary stuff for people with TP, like me lol
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
SDUrbn350Z

hmm i haven't seen them doing remote smog checks or pictures being taken from an on-ramp in san diego and i hope i never do...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
pizzato16

Amen. It says on the site however, that you have a chance to get it fixed before theres a fine. I dont think they would "warn" a newer car like ours though, might just ticket us right away.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to get everyone worked up, we've discussed this before:

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...eckpoints.html

I've rolled through several myself and was always let through without issue.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by waizzz
No need to get everyone worked up, we've discussed this before:

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...eckpoints.html

I've rolled through several myself and was always let through without issue.
Waizz-

I did see the thread for the manned check points on streets but I am specifically talking about the unmanned, computer-operated, laser-firing remote check points at freeway entrances.

I don't believe that thread you have shown talks about the unmanned 'remote' equipment.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be on the look out now for these remote equipment out on the fwy's.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Blu_Blur

Thanks, Slippy.

I think I may have seen one on the 91 freeway close to the Compton area. I noticed seeing two metalic, white-painted boxes on either side of the on-ramp and then there was a towable, white-painted trailer parked further to the right on the dirt. The trailer was very short and I think it had a door on it. For a few days I saw it and then it was gone. I wanted to exit off the freeway, go around and use the off-ramp just so that I could pull over and knock on the trailer to see if anyone was there.

There are people fighting these remote sites as they are stating scientific fact that a quick 1-2 second burst of lasers is not accurate enough compared to a 3 minute dyno run.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
RRMikey

I personally have not seen any of these remote smog dealies. But definitly sucks for guys with tp's. I personally think there's many ways to fight this in court. However I have seen the ones where there are cops waving ppl onto the mobile dyno at smog checkpoints.

And I though DUI checkpoints sucked *****. Haha
Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No prob Blu,

I have seen the manned smog points in OC, but I have not seen them used in the IE.

I think those unmanned machines could be used at the fast trak lanes on the 91. I will have to look next time I go that way. (as if I am not paranoid enough)
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Blu_Blur

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
No prob Blu,

I have seen the manned smog points in OC, but I have not seen them used in the IE.

I think those unmanned machines could be used at the fast trak lanes on the 91. I will have to look next time I go that way. (as if I am not paranoid enough)
I don't think it would be placed on a freeway where cars are already passing quickly.

The system is based on the car doing a full or close to full stop. When your car breaks the beam, it starts to scan and will stop scanning shortly after your car passes the beam. This is supposed to give it time to laser the emissions and get a reading. Cars going 60 mph or faster would probably never get a reading but might get their photo taken by the device.