Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Need Help Choosing Trim Level

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
SoCal350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Trim Level

Hey guys, I am new to the boards, and glad to be here.

I am in the market for 350z, thing is..I cannot decide which trim level to buy.

I am definitely not looking into the base model.
I am also not looking at the track either, although those Brembos are sexy as hell.

So basically, can anyone who has purchased in between the trim levels tell me what made them choose either the PERFORMANCE, ENTHUSIAST, or TOURING.

What are the MAIN differences, and what is the price also.

I got quoted a Touring for 31K from Cerritos Nissan, and I think that is a good deal. Anyone back me up on that.

Help me out if you got time to type some help in. Thanks Again, and nice to meet you all.

Abel
Old 11-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Hencho

Ill go over the quick diffs betweeen the models -

Base - Just that, the base model ( very good car ) But not what youre looking for

Enthusiast - Has Cruise control and traction control - one step up from base model, usually priced around 28k for the most part, unless you add on some options. This is the best one to pick if you dont want leather i think, But even then you could always add aftermarket leather later. Comes with 17" wheels.

Performance - Everything enth has plus it has a little marvel called VDC, which can be turned off, just like traction control in the enthusiast. Still cant get leather in this one, but the performance model comes with 18" wheels, a small bonus for those that dont want aftermarket.

Touring - Leather / heated seats ? / plus everything that the peformance and the enthusiast have.

Track - Traction control/ VDC Special 18" wheels, Brembo brakes.

I bought an 04 ppw enthusiast, comes in the 21st ( very nervous ) figured that it gives me the most car, with least amount of money spent, as i plan on upgrading wheels and brakes anyway. And im not too much into leather in cars, but that may change later on as well.

Good luck, but whatever model you choose - you will be happy, Paid 30,500 total for my enthusiast.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:38 PM
SoCal350Z

What is PPW....that a color code ?

And thanks for the help...now I just need to get some prices.

Thanks Again.

Abel

Last edited by SoCal350Z; 11-11-2003 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
BullishZ

It's pretty simple. Ask yourself this... are you going to mod your car? Bodykit, exhaust, wheels, etc?

If so, get the Enthusiast model. Best bang for the buck.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by BullishZ
It's pretty simple. Ask yourself this... are you going to mod your car? Bodykit, exhaust, wheels, etc?

If so, get the Enthusiast model. Best bang for the buck.
i agree, i shoulda went for the enthusiast in hindsight. ahh well, my touring aint so bad

btw, bullish, u ever get that exhaust installed?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Hencho

Sorry, meant Pikes peak White, The color of the car
Old 11-11-2003, 07:41 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Enthusiast probably is the best way to go if you are planning on modding your ride.

I have a touring but Bose sucks and the leather seats, uh, I could live without. I should've gone with Enthuz.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:15 PM
SoCal350Z

Default Thanks for the Insight.

I was actually coming to a choice between getting the Rx-8 because it would be considerably cheaper than the Touring, but now I think I will go with the Enthusiast, as long as I get the 278 ponies and all that torque, along with the HID's, I will be fine. Enthusiast it is. Now, about the color....

Thanks guys.

Abel

P.s. Any of you guys race a Rx-8 by chance...? I know it wouldn't keep up..but I do like the styling on those cars.

Last edited by SoCal350Z; 11-11-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is my summary, I wont cover the points already covered so far on this post:

1. Advantage of Model E: If you are going to change tires and wheels, then this is the best one because you pay more for 18" wheels on other models. Track is the only model you can get over $500 for new wheels and tires. Not having VDC is an advantage to me. People claim you can turn it off but when we were tracking our Z's last month, after you tap on the brake, it goes back on.
2. Advantage of Perf. model: If you are willing to pay more for VDC and 18" wheels then it is worth it, otherwise, wasting money.
3. Advantage of touring: Bose and leather. For me, this is the least desirable model for these reasons...MANY bose owners very unhappy with their stereo and dealer fixes still are not great fixes (read threads on it, it says it all). Leather: you live in so cal, you can get after market leather installed for about $700-800, nicer but without heaters. Being where you live, do you need electric seats with heaters.
4. Track model: My 2nd choice because, I could keep the brembos, sell the ray wheels that come on it for about $1700-2000 thus add the wheels I really wanted and got. BTW, remember, if you are going for larger tires, none of the stock wheels on any model will work since wheel width is very small.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 11-12-2003, 08:00 AM
BullishZ

Originally posted by daytona350z
i agree, i shoulda went for the enthusiast in hindsight. ahh well, my touring aint so bad

btw, bullish, u ever get that exhaust installed?
Sorry I didn't follow up on the other thread.

The piping didn't fit perfectly. It was touching other parts in 4 different points, so they took it back to re-shape it.

The prototype will arrive this Friday, so I'll go back there for a fitting. If it fits fine, then it'll only take an hour. If it doesn't, it'll take like 3 hours, so they can take pics and get a CAT image.

After that, they'll send the prototype back and after about 2-3 weeks, they'll send out a production ready version. Once that's fitted, I'll drive off with it. Can't wait!!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 08:13 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Thanks for the Insight.

Originally posted by SoCal350Z
I was actually coming to a choice between getting the Rx-8 because it would be considerably cheaper than the Touring, but now I think I will go with the Enthusiast, as long as I get the 278 ponies and all that torque, along with the HID's, I will be fine. Enthusiast it is. Now, about the color....

Thanks guys.

Abel

P.s. Any of you guys race a Rx-8 by chance...? I know it wouldn't keep up..but I do like the styling on those cars.
287 hp, btw.
As for the color.... Silverstone all the waaaaaay!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Splurt

One thing I gotta add since I don't think anybody else mentioned it. The performance model also has tire pressure gauges. I think it's a nice lil thing to have if you like that. I went with the Enthusiast and I gotta say I love my DB . Either way, you win with the Z hehe. About the RX-8, it looks great but I gotta say it's pretty slow. My friend's lil bro has one and I took it for a spin. That's a car you gotta drive like you hate it cuz without really reving it high, it really doesn't have enough "go" for me.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:56 PM
SoCal350Z

Thanks for the insight. I will go with the Enthusiast, then add wheels later, get the bucket race seats and mod it slowly. Thanks again guys...Now I gotta find a good price. And the color...

Thanks Again

Abel
Old 11-13-2003, 08:15 AM
BullishZ

Contact Jeff @ Performance Nissan. I believe they give $1000 off just for being a forum member here.