Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Moving to San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Sick an Twsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Moving to San Diego

Just got the word that i'm getting stationed in san diego

I frequent the site almost daily researching and have narrowed down to a G35/350z. Previous car history was a 94 ford explorer, 03 Nissan SE-R Spec V and a 01 Honda Prelude.

my main issue is that i have no "car enthusiast" contacts down in california right now, could anyone give me a heads up on the quality of the roads, restrictions on emmisions, common fix it tickets?

i look forward to meeting alot of new people, seems like a great community.

thanks again guys
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CA is retarded when it comes to emissions, don't expect to keep the car "legal" if you enjoy modding for performance. Cops will pull you over for anything (tint, front plate, etc...) because this state always seems to be broke. Roads could definitely be better. There's always some form of meet/event taking place in between SD and LA.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
justin4

tint and front license plate. I just mounted my front license plate. I think the fine for tint is like $10 or $20.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

road quality depends on what area you live in and how low you are.

For emissions, you have to pass a visual inspection and a sniffer test. Depending on the smog station, you may or may not pass without carb numbers on your parts.

If you get pulled over by a cop and he asks to pop your hood, he will send you to a "smog referee" to get inspected if you have aftermarket parts without carb numbers.Thats more of a "fix it" ticket because the ref won't pass you until everything is fixed (using stock/carb number parts). However, you may still be required to see a judge and pay a fine even once everything is fixed.
^happened to me in my civic years ago and had to pay a $400.00 fine

Last edited by BEBO'S ZEE; 01-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Sick an Twsd

Originally Posted by justin4
tint and front license plate. I just mounted my front license plate. I think the fine for tint is like $10 or $20.
Can front licenese plates be installed in the window or are they required to be mounted on the bumper, i know VA/WA have a rule that if the holes arent already drilled then you should be good to go.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by Sick an Twsd
Can front licenese plates be installed in the window or are they required to be mounted on the bumper, i know VA/WA have a rule that if the holes arent already drilled then you should be good to go.
Plates in the windshield are NEVER legal.

Just think about it... what happens if you get into an accident?

Last edited by Raybrant; 01-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
PeterFromSDiego

California is one of the strictest states when it comes to imports/emissions/modified cars. Namely in San Diego, the import "racing" scene was totally dismantled a while back (like over 5 years ago) and cops are still a little touchy about it. Not too many peeps race much on the street, but Honda boys are still out n about...except this time the trend is roof racks

Dont be surprised if you get pulled over and a cop is asking for carb legal labels. One of the worst things you can do IN MY OPINION in San Diego to get pulled over:

1) Super dark tint
2) Loud *** exhaust
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 AM
WetDreamZZZ

I've been stopped twice before in my old black Z down in the chula vista area Once for "no front plate" and the other time was my own fault when my foot got a little heavy leaving a stop light. Both times I was let go with just a warning it seemed like the cops gave me more respect than I did back when I had my Honda. Strangely I have never been pulled over or stopped in my "look at me RED" Z that that I now own...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Sick an Twsd

Didn't wanna open up another post... but i've heard rumors that CA is changing their emissions policies so that you only have to pass OBD-II check and not the sniffer, can anyone confirm or deny please, tried googling the S*** out of it today and couldnt find anything >_<

also if you are active duty military and you register your car in a different state do you still have to pass emissions in CA?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick an Twsd
also if you are active duty military and you register your car in a different state do you still have to pass emissions in CA?
Depends on your base. Some bases cali makes you pass emissions before you can get a base decal, others do not.

Quick tip, just get your decal at a different base if that is the case.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
me1109

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PeterFromSDiego
California is one of the strictest states when it comes to imports/emissions/modified cars. Namely in San Diego, the import "racing" scene was totally dismantled a while back (like over 5 years ago) and cops are still a little touchy about it. Not too many peeps race much on the street, but Honda boys are still out n about...except this time the trend is roof racks

Dont be surprised if you get pulled over and a cop is asking for carb legal labels. One of the worst things you can do IN MY OPINION in San Diego to get pulled over:

1) Super dark tint
2) Loud *** exhaust
agreed!...

but if you show a lot of respect to the chp and sheriffs and regular officers ie role down your windows keys on the dash lights on inside the car... show you have nothing to hide and treat the cop with resect when he comes to you you should be fine lol i have had my z for 63k (i just hit 90k) miles heavily modded and though i have been pulled over on average about once every 3k-4k miles i have never been ask to pop my hood... and as long as your car looks safe they dont care...