Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

petition for NO license plate in the front

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 PM
christurismohk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petition for NO license plate in the front

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone sign this!

Sorry Pat (Audit Pat). Nothing personal.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:31 PM
jimster716

I would like to but some of the arguments seem to lack merit. First of all, money is money and fixit tickets and redlight tickets from cameras are all sources of revenue, revenue that is sorely needed from the registration rebate debacle. The idea that an officer's time is wasted on a fixit is wrong...easy $10-20 for the jurisdiction or the state. Perhaps if there were statistical reasons for why we should repeal the front license plate law this petition wouldn't sound kind of whiney but the statistics of reduced collisions, reduced deaths, and reduced redlight running at camera operated intersections would be hard to justify against especially in light of how much the government makes from the tickets.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:54 PM
neocypher
Banned

is there one for tinted windows?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:35 PM
neocypher
Banned

I don't think there are any statistics for justifing the use or non-use of front license plates. Laws are put in place for safety and protection of the public. I don't see how a front license plate will serve to protect the safety of people. I would prefer that our police officers tend to more serious violations rather than wasting taxpayer dollars to enforce a that lacks merit.

Raise fines for people who don't wear seatbelts. Or people who misuse child seats or don't even use them at all. I say raise the fine and these more serious issues and then maybe...just maybe they'll get the idea and correct their bad habits.

It's not just revenue it's also the time and effort these police officers spend administering these minor non-safety related problems. Although i'm sure someone could come back and with a serious justification for having front license plates. Until then I don't feel their are that important and are on the bottom of the list.

I do agree that camera's have improved collisons at intersections, however do you know if there is any legislation that mandates and guarantees that the monies collected from fix-it tickets are used to fund this project?

Sure california is in need of revenue to solve it's fiscal crisis....but it's not just revenue thats needed ... it's also spending that needs to be cut...government needs to be cut.

If you really break it down that $10-$20 doesn't add up to the real cost of issuing the ticket.

REVENUE $10-20
Add up the total manhours for the issueing officer/sign off officer/court clerk, following policy and procedures ... and we're in the minus...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
jimster716

The cameras are not funded...private sector companies install and maintain the cameras for a share of the proceeds from tickets.

How is the rear license plate a measure of safety? As far as I'm concerned, the rear plate is only an initial means of identification and ownership, just like the front plate is...just a display of culpability should anything happen.

A single $10-20 ticket may not be much as compared to the cost of issuing a ticket but it is a tactic for cops to identify other infractions.

I'm no fan of the front license plate either (I don't have one on) but I don't see the petition as containing anything of merit.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:32 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Personally I would like to see every 350Z with a front plate...attached, of course, with my 'Zee-Bracket'
Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Boink

Bad design is the real problem.
I think the real petition should be to Nissan's Design Department.

When front plates are the law in almost every state (granted an often overlooked law) and they design and produce a car without an appropriate front plate holder attached, they are at fault.

I paid $60 for the Zee-Bracket but the car should have come with it, or something similar - and not that cheap plastic thing that requires you to drill holes in the body.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:11 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
Old 04-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default Now there's an idea that has a snowball's chance in hell

You gotta be kidding. After 30 years of driving sports cars with no front license plate in Calif. I finally gave in and put front license plates on my 350Z and my S4 in the last couple of months. Instead of giving you a fix it ticket, they fine you $25 in L.A. now. The 5th infraction is a misdemeanor. They finally got wise.

The reason that the legislature will never drop the front license plate requirement is those automated tax collectors known as RED LIGHT CAMERAS. They need a picture of the front of your car with your face and your front plate, so that they can prove it was you driving the car that ran the red light.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:25 PM
dchengmd

Sheesh. Every forum on this site I've been to has a link to this stupid petition now. Noble cause, but nothing's going to change, petition or not:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=71522

Using petitiononline.com is a waste of time.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:56 PM
SizongZ

They also use the front plate when they hit ya with the radar gun.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:04 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dchengmd

Using petitiononline.com is a waste of time.
I full agree with the subject of this petition, but I have to agree with dchengmd, petitiononlline.com is pretty much worthless.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 AM
wayneside

this seems to be happening everywhere! texas is doing this too...