Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

I'm curious...Why not GroupZ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm curious...Why not GroupZ?

By starting this thread I am in no way trying to divert attention from Lysa's thread about getting a So Cal 350Z club up and running. I started a new thread because I specifically did not want to change the direction of her thread. And, I am not trying to discourage the creation of a new 350Z club. I'm just curious as to why people do not seem to be interested in joining the existing Z club in our area - GroupZ.

I'm not posting this as a spokesman for GroupZ, or as a cheerleader for the club, and I am not trying to influence everyone to join. My involvement in GroupZ I would classify as somewhere between minimal and non-existent. In the 18 or so months that I have been a member, I have probably been to 4 or 5 of their monthly meetings, and a couple of those were back in 2002 before any of us had actually received our 350Z's. With that limited involvement in the club, I would not even attempt to try and convince people to join, and give any implication that I truely understand what the club is about.

What I do know (or what I think I know) is as follows:

The club has been around for over 30 years.
The zcca.org page lists them as having 150 members, but I think that is from about 5 years ago (could be more now, or maybe less).
I'd guesstimate that at the meetings which I went to (which are held in the evening on the second Thursday of each month at Fuddruckers in Buena Park) there were somewhere between 50 and 75 people in attendance.
I think it is safe to say that unless the membership has blossomed over the past 18 months, the majority of the members have pre-350 Z cars.
I'm not sure how many members of my350z.com are GroupZ members, but I know there are some, including AudioPat, AmyCroft, and even the infamous Dr Bonz. There are others too, but I will let them announce themselves if they desire, just in case they do not want to be publicly asociated with the club.

From recent events at this forum, I get the feeling that most of us are all about 'inclusion', rather then 'exclusion'. It gives me the impression that although the 350Z is what has brought us together here, we're not about preventing anyone with a different make/model/year of car from seeing the glow we have on our faces whenever we are near our Z. This point seemed to be proved true at the recent Latigo Canyon run. From reading the threads and looking at the pics (some awesome pics btw) I felt that people appreciated and enjoyed the non-350Z cars that were included.

Of course, it is to be expected that a person might 'slightly' favor the particular car that they own. I'll be the first to admit that I favor the 2003 350Z over the 2004. And within the 2003 350Z's, if your's was a preorder, and you shared those trying months of waiting along with me - well, those are the best 350z's of all.

But back to GroupZ, I mention the above only because I think there is an impression that the current membership of GroupZ may not want all of us and our shiny new Z's to be a part of their club. For all I know, this could be true. I believe this was the feeling that ChrisMCagle got when he attending one of the meetings a few months ago, and I believe him. I do however think we should find out for sure what direction they are trying to take that club. At the last meeting I was at, I remember AmyCroft, WLD350Z and myself, kinda huddled in a back corner, trying to talk 350Z without getting too loud and interrupting whomever was speaking to the group on the mic. After the meeting, we went out to the lot, and admired each of our 350Z's. I don't think they excluded us from what they were discussing, but more like we didn't include them in what we were discussing.

I'll end this diatribe with the followin:

There is no doubt in my mind that with the enthusiasm many of you have, and the talent, and the organization skills, that you can create an awesome club. The only thing that I am wondering, is wouldn't it be appropriate to evaluate GroupZ before doing so?

I hope to see many of you at Motorsport this weekend. I'll be the mid-40's guy carrying a skateboard, as I live fairly close to the event. Hopefully I can sneek out before my wife makes me wear my helmet. I know the officers and many members of GroupZ will be there too. It might be a good time to ask them any questions/concerns you might have about if/how we can include them (or they can include us) in the existing club.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

WAIT A MINUTE!!! YOU are in this club too!!!

That's it. I'm OUTTA HERE!

Actually, I just joined to win the member who lives the furthest away award.............and to get some free stuff.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:32 AM
callmeaflirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff,
I appreciate you making your own thread as to not divert attention on the thread I started. Thats cool...As for Group Z... I think they are a great group of people. Kash and I went to one of thier meets a loooong time ago, when Kash first got his Z. Kash was even a "guest speaker" for them that night. The only reason we could not be a part of that group was their meeting schedule. Their meetings are held on Thursdays (I thought it was Mondays, but anyhow, both Monday and Thursday, we wouldnt be able to make the meet.)..Kash is usually in Vegas and would NEVER be able to make a meeting. We didnt know anyone else there, so its not as though we could get the info from anyone else. We were one of very few 350'z that showed up. They all seemed like a bunch of very cool people, but without us being able to attend the meetings, we didnt feel as though we would be directly involved in anything...Well at least this is MY position. I dont want to speak for Kash...but that was my point....GroupZ is cool...but we wouldn't be able to get our $.02 heard. That's all.

Lysa

Last edited by callmeaflirt; 04-22-2004 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:53 AM
la300zxtt

Group Z is cool but like Empire Z their ****ing far... Hence I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Scafremon

Ed:

Do you search the forum each day for any mention of your nickname?

Lysa,

I can relate to not being able to make Thursday evening meetings. It's not very convenient for me either, and probably why I attend so few. Curious: What did Kash talk about at the meeting you guys attended (wondering if I happened to be there for that one).

I doubt that the club would change their meeting night, but who knows - maybe it's something that even current members would like to change. Another idea might be to have 2 meetings a month, with the other being on a weekend night or something, and people can attend whichever is convenient. (Envisioning Lysa, VP of GroupZ, holding monthly meeting B for those that can't attend monthly meeting A). If the meetings were attended by more people, GroupZ would have to change something, as I think the meeting room at Fuddruckers currently gets filled to near capacity.

Even if someone can't attend each and every month's meeting (or any of them for that matter), there is still other reasons to join the club, and other ways to communicate with the club.

I think with any new club that is formed, there will still be a problem of selecting a meeting location and schedule that will work for everyone. I don't think it's possible to please everyone. Let's say a new club is formed, and votes that Friday night in Chino will be the meeting place/date. If that doesn't work for someone, I'd wager that you would still recommend to that person to join up if they desire, as there are lot's of other things that will be going on with the club that they might want to attend.

So, I guess what I am saying in response to GroupZ currently having a poor night for their meetings - there are options.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed:
Do you search the forum each day for any mention of your nickname?
No, but my patented "Scafremon Post Finder" is on the job 24/7!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:52 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Scafremon
I think with any new club that is formed, there will still be a problem of selecting a meeting location and schedule that will work for everyone. I don't think it's possible to please everyone. Let's say a new club is formed, and votes that Friday night in Chino will be the meeting place/date. If that doesn't work for someone, I'd wager that you would still recommend to that person to join up if they desire, as there are lot's of other things that will be going on with the club that they might want to attend.

So, I guess what I am saying in response to GroupZ currently having a poor night for their meetings - there are options.
Location, meet times are two concerns. I for one, do not want to travel to the inland empire to attend a meet. Something that accomodates our LA - OC - SFV - SGV region just makes more sense. And, weekends have historically been everyone's favorite time to get together.

Another thing to consider is, everyone attending our get togethers are derrived from this forum and perhaps from a few others. I don't know how many of our group are currently Group Z members but I believe it is a small number. Really, I don't think many of us know GroupZ members and if we "merge" into this club, I think it would be because some of our current GroupZ members like Audio Pat or yourself bring us together. As of this instant, we really are two separate and distinct groups.

I dunno, I just don't see enough motivation to join GroupZ when we really don't know these people. Am I being anti-social or worse, arrogant or conceited by feeling this way?

I guess I just feel we don't have enough reason to join GroupZ. Actually, the only reason I can think of joining this group is that it seems to attract the more mature (and I don't mean just age) people. I mean, if you, Pat, Amy and Ed are members, it tells me maybe I should be a member. I think I need to talk with Pat or Amy about this more before I decide how I feel about the idea.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Scafremon

Hey Dan. Thanks for chiming in!

Couple things:

The current GroupZ meetings are held in Buena Park, near the 5 and 91 freeways. It is actually a pretty central location between LA and OC. They hold it at Fuddruckers on Thursdays because Fudd offers them their own large room at no charge. When you start getting groups of 50+ people together, you really need to get a room so that you can have speakers and such, and not interrupt the complete restaraunt. Weekends are probably a better day to hold meetings, but it can be difficult to reserve a room for no charge on weekends.

>> I dunno, I just don't see enough motivation to join GroupZ when we really don't know these people. Am I being anti-social or worse, arrogant or conceited by feeling this way?

I agree on the lack of motivation, and that is why I started this thread. I just couldn't put my finger on why whenever GroupZ is mentioned, no one really seems to want to even discuss it as an option. And I don't think you are being any of those things you mentioned.

Based on what people on this forum have posted in regards to what they are looking for in a club, GroupZ I think is all of those things. The goals of the clubs appear to be very much the same. Because of this, I just think it would be odd to not even investigate this option a bit further, before a very similiar club is created.

I do not see any downside to joining GroupZ, and helping them become the not only the longest running Z car club in the US, but possibly also the largest couldn't be a bad thing to do.

GroupZ will have a booth at this weekends Motorsports event. I would encourage people to stop by there, and ask questions.

Also, I am curious if everyone is aware that GroupZ is the hosting club for this years ZCCA Convention . When it comes to Z's and people, this is the biggest annual event there is. This year, it is smack-dab in So Cal. If we have no desire to particpate in this event, then yes, I think we all need to question what our real motiviation is in being involved in a car club. (Myself included, as I have not registered for the event, although I did volunteer my help to GroupZ.....I wonder if they remember....).
Old 04-22-2004, 04:42 PM
callmeaflirt

Hey Jeff,
As for what Kash spoke on....Hmm..it was so long ago...I know he touched base on the fact that he was rebuilding a 240z..He handed out flyers for his website.....I don't remember much else...

And as for the day that the meetings are on, its really not my place to come into a group and suggest that they change their meetings. As far as I could tell, everyone seemed ok with that day. I wouldnt want to come in and tell them to change it. Im sure if that day wasnt working for some people, they would have brought it up long before that...

Like I said before, GroupZ is a fine group of people..At the time where we were at the meeting, there was only a handful of 350z's there.. So this was a LOOONG time ago....

Anyhow, I guess there really is no reason to not join..Other than the fact that I already know people on this forum...Lots of them are closer to my age, and those who aren't, are at least closer to my maturity..I guess I got along better w/ this group than I did with GroupZ..But that was just a first impression...

Back to the drawing board...

Lysa
Old 04-24-2004, 07:34 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Scafremon:

Like others have said, I will not be particularly interested in joining in a club unless we share the common interest. From what I have heard in the past about the club, they are not too friendly to the new 350Z'ers because most of the members have older Z’s. Of course this is all hear-say. I do not have any first-hand experience. That is why I just went to their website (http://www.groupz.com/) to find out more about them; however, they talk so little about themselves. So what exactly do they do other than hosting Z Nationals? Do they have social gatherings like we do? How about canyon runs? What are the benefits of paying $45 to join up besides from getting a free T-shirt, name badge and etc? (Do we get a "GroupZ" sticker? J/K.)

Also, I'm with the others on the day of meetings. I won’t be able to commit myself to go to a meeting on a Thursday. As Dan has stated, all of our meets (except for the Performance Nissan meet) has been on weekends and everyone seems to be happy about that. I know there are other mini-meets on weekdays but those probably are handled locally and not posted here. You mentioned that the meeting date may get changed but if they have been meeting on Thursdays for the past 30 years, I have a feeling that almost everyone is fine with that day. Are the members all retired or something??? j/k.

Please do not take my post the wrong way. I am in no way trying to criticize you or the club. 'm simply trying to find out more about this club.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Scafremon

Sho:

I wish I could answer your questions, but the truth is, you have many of the same questions that I have.

I don’t think the current GroupZ membership as a whole shares a unified position in regards to having a bunch of (possibly) younger 350Z owners join their gatherings. I’d guess some would embrace the idea, and I would guess some would oppose the idea. I’m also not sure how the current elected officers stand. I do know that at least one officer and another key member of the club have expressed to me that they are all about being an 'inclusive' club, and I know they have participated in some of the events that were announced via this forum. The Duarte event is one, where in the pictures I saw these people enjoying the gathering as much as anyone else.

Their website does not tell a lot about the club. You can get a slightly better feel for what they do by looking at some of the backissues of their newsletter. I think they try and hold at least one club event a month, that consists of a drive somewhere (Palm Springs, Death Valley, Solvang, Crest Highway, etc), so in that manner they are similar. I don’t think they have organized mini-meets at Hooters, but I could be wrong.

As for Thursdays for their monthly club meeting, you are correct that they might have no desire to change. Trying to change that could really rock the boat. But, I’ve heard that they have discussed having an additional club meeting each month, maybe on a weekend. I think it would be a wise thing to do, especially in the long summers we have here.

You do get a couple other things for your membership fee, but nothing that would sway someone to join.

I would just like to see us all keep an open mind about GroupZ, until we can get the answers to our questions and concerns. If we can’t get them this weekend at Motorsports, then I plan to ask some of these questions at the next club meeting. (I hope they have a keyboard for me to use – I suk at public speaking)
Old 04-25-2004, 08:15 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm interested in hearing what you found out during this weekend. TIA.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:52 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Guess it's time for me to chime in

I joined Group Z as soon as my car arrived in October 2002. I was probably one of the first 350Z members Group Z had. I went to my first meeting and was publicly introduced to the rest of the club as a new member. It's always awkward to walk into a room of new faces, most of whom have known each other for years, but I felt very comfortable. I knew I could not make many meetings because of the distance/day/time issue (I always have to make the choice of whether I feel up to fighting traffic for an hour + after work) but when I can I go. Knowing this up front, I also joined to get their newsletter and that way I can keep abreast (abreast?...I'll have two please!...sorry, couldn't resist) of what they are up to.

Like us, they have runs and meets every month and enjoy their cars as much if not more than some of us. They also bring to the table the heritage of the Z that would be missing from a 350Z exclusive club. I for one think old things are important ( I say that every time I look in the mirror by the way ). Now, by and large, we are a younger demographic than the average GroupZ member but I don't think that should stop any of us from joining. I actually spent quite a bit of time talking to both the President and Vice President of GroupZ at the Nationals today. They both expressed a strong desire to have 350Z owners as part of their group. Even beyond that, they both commented that by having more 350Z members they could get more input on the kinds of events we like and incorporate them into their group plans. I don't think they could offer any more of a welcome than that.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:53 AM
EL Diablo

I am sure we would all be welcome members to Group Z.
After all there are about 30 or more of us with 350Z's.
Not a small group.

But really isnt joining group Z exactly what we are trying to avoid
with the now Defunct 350z club? The politics of an Organization.

Why do we need to be part of a large organization?
All we want to do is hang and cruise.

What would be the benifits to joining Group Z on top of
the benifits we all share now hanging out?

Unless some are looking to be part of a very large and established group for all Z owners whats the point ?

I personally am not taking the "Club" thing serious enough to
care about being a member of group Z.

I am totally happy the way it is.

I am not so sure I really want to hang with what could be dozens and dozens of new faces at our events. I like the smaller groups
(if you call 30 small) we have been putting together.

Other than a few of the guys like Pat and Jeff I have never
seen anyone that was a Group Z member at our events. Maybe there are more 350z Group Z members out there but no one has expressed any interest in recruiting the 350Z's as far as I can tell.

Also how many 350z's are members of group Z ?
It does not look like many. Why is that?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Clint...don't get me wrong..I've been doing runs and events based on this forum since 10-02 (I'm Charter Member #53 if anyone remembers that far back)....no club involved...I was just putting in my 2 lire about my feelings concerning GroupZ and what they expressed to me at the Nationals yesterday. I'm not cheer leading (although I do have nice Pom Poms ). I will remain a member of GroupZ, 350 club or no 350 club. If we form a seperate club, I'll join that too. If we form no club, I'll continue to make the events that are put together on this forum whenever I can

As far as I'm concerned, it's a win win situation
Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 PM
h4lights

Hi Guys / Gals
I am John Harris, VP of Group Z and I will try to answer some of the questions / comments listed:
Our current membership is 170.
Being part of an organization does help.
We have members that work for Nissan and their dealers so we do have some influence on some things. Others are aftermarket suppliers or work in the car biz. From students to rocket scientists, a very diverse group. Example: We were the first to have a coupe and roadster for preview before the dealer release. They were at our meetings.
I have attended a meeting at Performance Nissan and extended an invitation to you to come to a BBQ and drive we had in Palm Springs last month. Unfortunately, that conflicted with an event you were sharing with G35 folks. We had Z clubs from California, Nevada and Arizona attend. Quite a few 350's showed up.
Our current 350Z member count is 16 (17 cars).
My pitch to you is come to a meeting if you get a chance. Check out the club. If you like what you see OK...if not,
that is OK as well.
Even if you go in a seperate direction I hope you can arrange to particiapte in some of the events we have through the year, many with multi-club participation.
What do you get for your membership?
Aside from the newsletters...
Monthly meetings with guest speakers that are Z related. Membership in the ZCCA which is recognized by Nissan North America to the level of sponsoring the banquet at the upcoming '04 convention.
Donations to charities including Make a Wish, Michael J. Fox Foundation, For Kids Sake.
A participant in the annual Braille Rally, Our BBQ and drive in Palm Springs, Hurst Castle Run and something every month....
You get a t-shirt, membership card, badge and decal (lol).
You also get discounts from vendors and dealers that recognise the club as a source of dedicated business.
I owned Z's for a long time before I joined GroupZ. I too saw no advantage in belonging.
Whatever you do will be right for you.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
EL Diablo

John thanks for the post.
I really didnt even know about Group Z until recently.
Your post was informative.

It would be cool to have the SoCal gang hook up and particiapte in some future event. maybe oneday we'll all get together

-Clint
Old 04-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Zulaytr

Now that the VP has spoken the PreZ of Group Z has a few comments. First of all...all Z owners are welcome in Group Z. That means from the 240 to the 350. Our door is always open to guests and new members. Please keep in mind that the 240Z has now been out for nearly 35 years. The 350Z less than two. With that in mind it is only logical that many of our members own the older Z's. But as John mentioned we now have many members who own the 350Z. In fact several own both- the older and the new.

Pat and Jeff are correct we would love to further expand our events and social gatherings. Pat mentioned that the 350Z group is much "younger". Have you checked his ID card lately? I don't think that age is a true comparison. You only have to young at heart. One way to influence anothers, like Group Z, is to join them or involve them in YOUR activities. It is true that we may not have done many of the canyons runs but the way to effect a change in our culture is involve us and expose us into these events and your culture. You do not have to be a member to offer up and organize a Z event. We would welcome new ideas and events.

Yes it is true that our meetings are on Thursday nights. Will we change it to another night? Who knows what the future will bring. I understand in the past Group Z did meet on another night. We also realize that it conflicts with personal schedules and other weekday events. But realistically not all of our members can always make to the meeting but they do participate in other events on the weekends as they can.

I would like to invite any Z owner, regardless of the year, make, model of Z they own or their personal interest ( car shows, canyon runs, social gatherings, track events etc) to check us out when they can. NO strings, No arm twisting or coercion. If it works for you Great.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:02 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Hey Bob...thanks for the 'ID' comment I believe I said 'for the most part' they are a younger demographic...of course I was excluding myself

Anyway, all I can say is anyone interested should give it a try on a second Thursday of any month at Fudruckers in Buena Park..I don't make many meetings, but I'll try to lead by example and be there for the May meeting Hope to see some of my 350Z friends there