Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

5/9 Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 5/9 Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic Reminder

Sunday, May 9 is the next Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic, held at the world famous (well, maybe not) Buttonwillow Raceway Park. Whether you've never been on a track before, or you're looking for some more seat time, these clinics provide a friendly, relaxed environment and great one-to-one instruction from racing veterans.

I've been teaching at these clinics for six or seven years now, and Buttonwillow is a great learning track, with a nice variety of corners and straights. It's less intimidating than Willow Springs and not as tight and narrow as the Streets of Willow - although both of these other tracks are great fun in their own ways.

Registration is $195, and includes lunch and an event T-shirt. Bring your own helmet if you have one, but Buttonwillow has helmets available to rent for a nominal fee, too. An enrollment form is available at http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/forms/brp_clinic.pdf. For additional information, call the Buttonwillow Raceway Park office at 661-764-5333, or send an email to Les Phillips at lesrace@aol.com.

Hope to see some of you there!
Old 04-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I signed up

I signed up for the May 9 performance driving clinic at buttonwillow, and I will be running in the intermediate group. I think they run the beginners on the west loop in the morning, and the intermediate and advanced on the east loop. Then in the afternoon, they open up to the whole track to all 3 run groups.

When I signed up a couple of days ago, there were a few spots left, but it could fill up at any minute, so if you are interested, don't wait any longer.

It is a really fun track. The first time you go over that hill not knowing what to expect on the other side is a real thrill. LOL
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really wanted to go but I have no helmet and no money to buy one either. Maybe next time.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Scott Webb

Originally posted by SHO-TIME
I really wanted to go but I have no helmet and no money to buy one either. Maybe next time.
They have helmets available for rent. I don't think that it's too expensive. Call/email the track to find out, and we'll see you there!
Old 04-29-2004, 03:37 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Scott for letting me know but I'd rather have my own helmet to sweat in. Smelling other ppls sweat all day long isn't my idea of fun. I'll probably join in July though.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
joe56

Default Re: I signed up

Originally posted by Hunter Z
It is a really fun track. The first time you go over that hill not knowing what to expect on the other side is a real thrill. LOL
Buttonwillow is my all time favorite track. I love that hill, but you're right.... scary the first few times. I learned to apex wide left, then shoot for the candy stripes on the right....... the road magically appears.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Scott Webb

Originally posted by SHO-TIME
Thanks Scott for letting me know but I'd rather have my own helmet to sweat in. Smelling other ppls sweat all day long isn't my idea of fun. I'll probably join in July though.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that they use head socks (balaclavas) for all rental helmets. Worth checking, if that's the only impedement.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:03 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

They provide a headsock if you rent a helmet. It was $10 last July, assume it's about the same.

I was signed up for this, then realized a couple of weeks ago that the 9th is Mother's Day. So, had to call and reschedule for the August session. Damn is it going to be hot there in August!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Scott Webb

Anyone else going to make it? The weather forecast looks great, with temperatures only expected to reach the high 70's.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Grey Matter

Can't make this weekend, but I am going to try one of the latter dates. Curious, how hard is this on the tires?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Scott Webb

Originally posted by Grey Matter
Curious, how hard is this on the tires?
Well, like most driving events, it's as hard on the tires as you want to make it. The harder you push, the more they'll wear. I've not found Buttonwillow's track surface to be particularly abrasive compared to other tracks, and most mountain roads. I've been to autocrosses where the pavement acted like a cheese grater. Proper tire inflation, a good alignment and smooth driving will help keep wear under control.

Some track-day regulars opt for a second set of wheels/tires for their track activities, but this isn't necessary for the occasional track driver. I've taken several daily-drivers to the track using the same set of wheels/tires.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:30 PM
G35to350Z-12

I'm signed up. I'm driving up to ButtonWillow on Saturday evening, 05-08-2004, after an all-day class I have in Cerritos.

I mentioned this in another post via a different thread.

I'm also signed up for the 350Z Challenge Series on June 4th. I consider this my training session for the June 4th meet.

Look forward to meeting all the 350Z people (and all other beginners, like me).

Jeff D.